Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By probablynotgood
Need educated advice regarding suboxone "reset"
    probablynotgood is offline New Member

Default Need educated advice regarding suboxone "reset"

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some advice. I wont get into the tedious details of my background unless someone feels it would be helpful, so I'll just jump right in.

I have been trying to taper myself off suboxone for 3 months without success. I am an addict in the classic sense and I just do not have the ability to monitor myself successfully. I always give up and take my normal dose. I have been taking sub for a year. I am down to 2mg a day, and seemingly cannot get myself down from there. I am a busy executive, and to try and take a week off to just go cold-turkey would be disastrous... and I would likely lack the will to do it and just take more sub. I am deeply ashamed of this, I consider myself to be in recovery and am active in AA for the past 4 years. So here's the deal. I have heard anecdotal evidence that if one "switches" to another opiod for a period of 8-10 days, enough to stave off W/D, and then switch back to suboxone and use the rapid taper method employed by the hopsital detox clinics, one can totally avoid all but very mild W/D symptoms.... as opposed to just dealing with the moderate W/D of going cold turkey off of sub after being on it for a year....people say you can "reset" by taking for example 2-5mg of methadone for 10 days and then taking a Sub taper for 4 days will take you off completely and the WD's will not be severe at all.

Now, I hear widely varying tales about suboxone w/d.... some people claim to be violently sick for a month or even longer, which I cannot fathom since I have two close friends who went cold turkey at 8 - 10mg of sub and both experienced 8 days of pretty nasty wd and then perfectly fine. I do not personally know anyone who has done the "reset".

Can anyone comment on this? The hospital detox will not take me in... they say they use sub to detox everyone off everything else and cant take anyone addicted to sub because all they can do it give me more sub.

I feel totally hopeless and worst of all Its getting harder and harder to consider myself a "sober" person....

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pablo.

Also.... if anyone has had personal experience with cold turkey at 2mg / day of sub and can give me and idea how bad it might be I would be very grateful. I, unsure of what to think... I read stories and posts from people who claim to have been on sub for a year or so and jumping off at even 1mg/day and being horrifically sick for a month or more, and hear others say wd from 2mg a day is perfectly manageable and they're able to go to work etc.

Once again, any advice on these issues would be very much appreciated. Ive lurked around the forum and most folks here seem genuinely helpful....

Robert_325 is offline Retired

If you cold turkey from sub at 2mg as long as you've taken it you'll be miserable for a month. Have you read my sub taper plan that has proven to be effective here on this forum for years? Let me know if you want my help. I don't have a lot of confidence in switching back to fast acting opiates and jumping back and forth from the subs. That is my opinion, though I have seen a couple people do it and make it. They were lucky. Hope the link below helps. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If you cold turkey from sub at 2mg as long as you've taken it you'll be miserable for a month. Have you read my sub taper plan that has proven to be effective here on this forum for years? Let me know if you want my help. I don't have a lot of confidence in switching back to fast acting opiates and jumping back and forth from the subs. That is my opinion, though I have seen a couple people do it and make it. They were lucky. Hope the link below helps. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I just read the entire thread. This seems sensible and doable. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you're making me aware of this. Lots of the threads here involve a lot of doomsaying, colorful adjectives etc.... your taper plan is well laid out, practical and inspires confidence. Thanks.
    Robert_325 likes this.

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by probablynotgood View Post
    I just read the entire thread. This seems sensible and doable. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you're making me aware of this. Lots of the threads here involve a lot of doomsaying, colorful adjectives etc.... your taper plan is well laid out, practical and inspires confidence. Thanks.
    Hello probablynotgood,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Just wanted to say some things regarding subs. First is most doctors don't have much of a clue as to what they are really capable of and the proper usage of them. Most of their educations and statistical data comes from the manufactures and I hate to say this but it stands to reason that at higher dosages the longer a person is on them the more money is made all around all at the cost of their patients. This plan that was created by Robert is concise and very easy to follow. So easy in fact that a lot of people deviate. Subs are highly potent medications and while not for everyone is a very useful tool to help someone come clean off opiate addiction/chemical dependence. They only work most effectively within a very narrow spectrum of use and the two most important things to remember about them is first is consistency. This means same exact dosage at the close to as possible exact same time every day. The other thing is as with many things we are all used to more is better. The opposite is true with subs. More is not better but in fact less is more. With their relatively long half life of up to 72 hours give or take as everyone and all variables are different taking more then less then more will really throw off the algorithm so to speak and there is no definitive mathematical formula that will be exact as the variables are just too great. It takes a well trained eye to spot variances and you are in good hands here so when in doubt don't take. Grit your teeth and wait for instructions. Remember that once more is taken and it was a mistake you can't just reach in there and pull it out but if you wait and more is warranted you can always take more later to balance things out. Opiate detox won't kill you and although it can feel like it sometimes it won't. Benzos is another story but we are not on that subject. Cross all the "t"'s and dot all the "I"'s and follow the recommendations as closely as possible and you will be fine. I have researched and looked all over and watched many different plans and this is the only one that I have found that works and works well but please stay within the parameters. People start getting too confident and then take it upon themselves and start doing things on their own varying timing and doses then when they get into trouble all heck breaks loose and it is like walking a fence line. Too much or too little and you start to fall off either side. Same thing with too slow or too fast and same thing. This brings us back to consistency. Heck I was inducted by Robert at only 1.25 mgs total per day and this was after years of opiate abuse of all sorts of various narcotics. I tried my absolute best to follow his recommendations to the letter and I was the one that benefited from this and breezed through this in record time. Just this last November I celebrated my 2 year anniversary clean. No temptations or urges. Just clean living and loving it.
    I'll be cheering you on from the side lines!
    Great to see you here!

Henry

detroit_boi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by probablynotgood View Post
    Also.... if anyone has had personal experience with cold turkey at 2mg / day of sub and can give me and idea how bad it might be I would be very grateful. I, unsure of what to think... I read stories and posts from people who claim to have been on sub for a year or so and jumping off at even 1mg/day and being horrifically sick for a month or more, and hear others say wd from 2mg a day is perfectly manageable and they're able to go to work etc.

Once again, any advice on these issues would be very much appreciated. Ive lurked around the forum and most folks here seem genuinely helpful....

Ive done cold turkey from 2mg subs....And ill tell u this: ou will have to take a two week vacation from work, because u wont sleep at all for two weeks...Im on day 20 since jumping, and still only getting 2-3 hours here and there throughout one 24 hour period. So with that in mind the rest is simple, and it CAN be done...Good luck to you