• 2 Post By Robert_325
  • 2 Post By amberwish
  • 2 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By rnewton8
  • 1 Post By Suboxowned
Help weening off 4mg sub
    rnewton8 is offline Member

Default Help weening off 4mg sub

I have been on suboxone for about 3 months now. I have only been taking 4mg for most of that time. I was thinking about coming off it now.

How hard is it going to be?
    I know everyone's experiences are different but in general, how hard is it to come off 4mg suboxone after being on it for 3 months?
    What is the typical protocal for tapering down in this situation?
    Will weed help? I smoke weed in the evenings to unwind usually?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous Guest

25% drop in your dose roughly every 4 days is what is said on this forum. a lot of others take longer, and thats ok too.
    try and drop to 3mg. see how you go. and when you feel that you have levelled out, and stable. then you go for another drop.

take your time. listen to your body. and yeh i smoked a bit of weed as well. whatever it takes i reckon....

i used subs for 1 year 3 months, and i am now clean off subs for a year...

its entirely possible, go for it and good luck.

What are my chances of being sucessfulling coming off when I am in the middle of a lot of stress?

Having financial stress
    Moving after the 1st of the new year and probably getting another job
    Work is really stressfull as well

I dont guess there is ever a perfect time to come off sub but now is prob not the best time for me. I know the first thing I do when i get really really stressed is reach for my weed or sub and take a sliver. Maybe I should wait till things cool down in my life a bit and revisit this at the new year.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by rnewton8 View Post
    What are my chances of being sucessfulling coming off when I am in the middle of a lot of stress?

Having financial stress

I dont guess there is ever a perfect time to come off sub but now is prob not the best time for me. I know the first thing I do when i get really really stressed is reach for my weed or sub and take a sliver. Maybe I should wait till things cool down in my life a bit and revisit this at the new year.

I remember you from almost four years ago! What happened dude? I will be glad to help you but give me some history since you were here in 2008. What did you get yourself off into that you're back after all this time? God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

sookie3 is offline Member

Having financial stress

There's someone on this forum called Jay ( freedom11) I think you would benefit from reading her Sub detox diary. She was also dealing with some stressful situations whilst going through the Sub taper..Have a squiz it might give you some inspiration..
    But the time has to be right for you ...although I could also say there's no time like the present..Best if luck whatever you decide to do

Glad to see your still on hear helping poeple out. Thats a great service you do, helping others.

Anyway, to make a long story short from 2008 to 2010 I got really bad into my addiction with roxis again. Then I found a new thing. slamming ritalin pills.. I ended up homeless back in jail for script fraud, you know the deal when we get bad. Anyway, in 2010 i went to a short rehad and got clean and stayed that way up until the middle of last year when I started doing roxies again. At first it was just too chill out and get in coma land because of stress. Then it started being a everyday habit again before you know it. So I decided to go on sub. I started out on a high dose but after a week or so I only needed about 4mg to be stable. Ive been on 4mg sub since Sept. 2011.

The trouble now is I just moved and finances are short so I kinda want to get off for financial reasons. I only have about 14 8mg strips left. That wont even be enough to taper with will it? At the least, I think I will need 1 more script to get me through a taper.

Thanks for feedback. I appreciate any and all constructive comments.

Glad to see your still on hear helping poeple out. Thats a great service you do, helping others.

Anyway, to make a long story short from 2008 to 2010 I got really bad into my addiction with roxis again. Then I found a new thing. slamming ritalin pills.. I ended up homeless back in jail for script fraud, you know the deal when we get bad. Anyway, in 2010 i went to a short rehad and got clean and stayed that way up until the middle of last year when I started doing roxies again. At first it was just too chill out and get in coma land because of stress. Then it started being a everyday habit again before you know it. So I decided to go on sub. I started out on a high dose but after a week or so I only needed about 4mg to be stable. Ive been on 4mg sub since Sept. 2011.

The trouble now is I just moved and finances are short so I kinda want to get off for financial reasons. I only have about 14 8mg strips left. That wont even be enough to taper with will it? At the least, I think I will need 1 more script to get me through a taper.

Thanks for feedback. I appreciate any and all constructive comments.

If you'll get one script refilled and follow the 25% reduction plan every four days or so you'll have enough meds to totally finish this. I'll be happy to walk you through the taper but you have to make your mind up to stop doing this. Not judging you, just trying to help. You need to get this done now my friend. The years are wasting away spinning your wheels. I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

I would drop to 3mg immediately as you can get your script filled when it's due. Stay at 3mg tomorrow thru Monday and plan on reducing again on Tuesday. Just keep in touch so I'll be able to help you along. Let's do it! God bless.
    amberwish and INDCNTRY like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

amberwish is offline Member

I was on subs for 3 months, started off at 4mg. I just jumped 2 days ago. Its possible to get clean. I never want to go back to that life again. I hope your ready because it sounds like you've been to hell and back! Good luck!
    Amber
    ClassiqueMom and INDCNTRY like this.

Robert - normally i take 2mg in the morning and 2mg in the evening. should i just take the 3mg dose all at once? or split? Im thinking I need to start taking my meds more strictly too, normally I just take them whenever i remember or when my body tells me it needs it. I can feel my morning dose wear off in the evening usually.

Also, is there any better way than using tiny scissors to cut up the strips to get precise doses?

Also, part of the trouble I am seeing with trying to reduce dose is I start off good for a day or two and then I end up taking an extra sliver and then I am right back where i started. Its just so easy to tell myself, I will start cutting down tommorow, then tommorow comes and i tell myself the same thing. Especially with subs cause I feel like they helped me a lot this time around.

Robert - normally i take 2mg in the morning and 2mg in the evening. should i just take the 3mg dose all at once? or split? Im thinking I need to start taking my meds more strictly too, normally I just take them whenever i remember or when my body tells me it needs it. I can feel my morning dose wear off in the evening usually.

Also, is there any better way than using tiny scissors to cut up the strips to get precise doses?

Also, part of the trouble I am seeing with trying to reduce dose is I start off good for a day or two and then I end up taking an extra sliver and then I am right back where i started. Its just so easy to tell myself, I will start cutting down tommorow, then tommorow comes and i tell myself the same thing. Especially with subs cause I feel like they helped me a lot this time around.

I prefer splitting the dose until you get down under 1mg. Some people do it all at once. It's whichever works for you but no more than two doses.

Cutting the strips with small scissors is the best way to do it. You should NEVER need a sliver PERIOD unless you are at a very tiny dose ... like under .5mg, then it's seldom. No way you need any slivers at 3-4mg. That is all mental. The subs have a half life of up to 72 hours. You're taking them twice a day. How could you need more in that short of a time. It's your head spinning you around. You have to hang tough. Stay in touch. God bless.
    Denny_D and INDCNTRY like this.

dreamimg of normal is offline New Member

Question Would love your help / advice Robert 325

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I remember you from almost four years ago! What happened dude? I will be glad to help you but give me some history since you were here in 2008. What did you get yourself off into that you're back after all this time? God bless.
    I want to start by saying that I have been reading posts on this site for two days now and really feel that you know your stuff and you have helped so many people I would love your advice on mine and my husbands situation.
    With that being said, here's my history / story...We have been married for 5 years, on the pills for 1 year. He fell of of a ladder about a year ago and tore ligiments in his knee. Dr perscibed him pain meds (lorcets) over the next month we both started abusing them (first time either of us used drugs on a daily / addictive basis) Before we knew it we were hooked. He was taking between 15-20 lorcets and somas / day and I was taking between 12-15 lorcets and somas / day. We decided we wanted our lives back and got put on subs. Took our first dose yesterday at about noon (24 hrs after taking the last of the lorcets & somas we had in the house)
    The dr started us on the same dose....4mg twice a day. I had a horrible headache all day6, last night it was almost a migrane....horrible! My husband had a really good day yesterday but today is extremely nauseated and even threw up after we ate lunch. What are we doing wrong? I do not want to up my dose and neither does he....we want to be on the subs for the shortest amount of time possible. What do you think we should do? When should we cut our dose?
    Please give me any advice you can on how we should go about tapering and let me know why he is nauseated and why I am having such bad headaches. Im looking forward to hearing back from you, will check back in an hour or so. Thank you in advance!!

dreamimg of normal is offline New Member

I guess you are either sleeping (maybe a different time zone? lol) Ill check back in the morning

Default Doing ok so far

This is day 3 of going from 4mg to 3mg sub. So far I am doing ok. Nose is a bit runny and i dont feel 100% right now. I felt good when I took it this morning but it seemed to have worn off some. I wouldnt call it dopesick. I would just call it not being as comfortable as I am used to on this stuff. Of course this could all be in my head.Anyways tommorow will be the fourth day of my reduction schedule from day 4 to 3mg. I feel like im off to a good start. So what next? Drop to 2mg?

Thanks for support

dreaming of normal - Robert is the expert as well as a few others defintately not me.. so take my experience with a grain of salt.

My experience with sub is that the first few days can be rough no matter what due to the transition phase. I was throwing up when i first started taking subs. And now im pretty sure it was because my dose was too high to start. Its potent stuff and doesnt take much. Hang in and you will get the advice you need. Please clarify symptoms - are you still in withdrawals after taking 4mg? i.e dialated pupils cold sweats goose bumps?

day 4 of taper off subs from 4mg to 3mg.. feeling perfectly normal. will drop to 2mg tommorow I will miss my subs once this is done but they have served their purpose and now its time for me to move on and get off them. And to think 4 months ago i was on 24mgs. and now im down to 3mg

INDCNTRY is offline Junior Member

day 4 of taper off subs from 4mg to 3mg.. feeling perfectly normal. will drop to 2mg tommorow I will miss my subs once this is done but they have served their purpose and now its time for me to move on and get off them. And to think 4 months ago i was on 24mgs. and now im down to 3mg
    What in the world? I can not imagine....why so high??? I know your Dr did it but gosh durn. No wonder you got pukey...24 mg. Did they think you weighed 2,000lbs? Good grief.

I am glad to hear you are having success tapering Newton. Stick with it. (and with Robert) What a relief it is to be free of that chemical Disequalibrium. Good luck
    Last edited by INDCNTRY; 01-18-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo

drop from 3mg to 2mg made me feel like ???? (fatigue mainly no energy whatsoever). I had movers coming and too much going on so I went back up to 3mg. Ill prob try and drop to 2mg in a few days.

Default dropped to 2mg

Starting Monday I dropped from 3mg to 2mg. So thats 2 days of only being on 2mg. Ill probably stay at 2mg for maybe a week or so. I want to make sure Im good and stable before I even think about dropping again. Slowly but surely I will get there. I didnt think i could drop to 3mg, but I did no problem. And now I seem to be ok at 2mg. Definately not as comfortable as I would prefer to be, but im not deathly ill either. Just a bit tired and irritable.
    fedupnow likes this.

Suboxowned is offline Member

Default Films or tablets

Hey Newt, are you using films (I call them strips) or the tablets? I feel the strips are easier when it comes to cutting out your dosage but I have also noticed the smaller you cut the films, it seems like I lose it in my mouth and not sure if it even stuck under my tongue. lol Friday, I see my sub doc, and I'm requesting 2mg strips since I have the 8's now and I sit there cutting em' up for a couple of days. Maybe it will make it easier with the 2's. Today is my first day at 4mg. It was funny trying to cut an 8mg in to 2 pieces, then cut those 2 pieces into 2 pieces...crazy!

Talk to ya later!
    rnewton8 likes this.

I use the film and I like it much better than the pills.

I do the same as you with the 8s. cut em in half then half again. the trouble comes when you get a crumbly batch where there is a piece crumbled off the strips.

I think I can pretty much eyeball a 1mg or 2mg cut piece now ive been doing it for so long.

And I had that happen one morning where i put a piece in my mouth and then like two seconds later it wasnt there and I swear it must have fell out of my mouth or something but i looked all over the floor and never found it. Now I make sure im fully awake in the morning when i take it and i really pay attention.

scoutin4 is offline New Member

Hi,I was reading this thread and saw that your making the drop to 4mg.Thats where im at now,Just trying to meet some people here,anyway,goodluck.

Suboxowned is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by scoutin4 View Post
    Hi,I was reading this thread and saw that your making the drop to 4mg.Thats where im at now,Just trying to meet some people here,anyway,goodluck.
    Hi Scout! Yep, I just dropped to 4mg today. So by Friday, I'm sure I'll be feeling it. And that's okay because I have a very busy day on Friday so maybe I'll be too busy to notice any difference Hopefully! Good luck on your journey!

this sums up my experience from dropping from 4mg to 3mg to 2mg over a few weeks

irritable , tired, moodswings, lethary, a bit depressed, but bearable. if u have ever experienced running out of dope for a day or trying to go cold turkey it is nothing like that so far. just a bit uncomfrtable but i can still go about my daily functions just fine. in short its not that bad.

Default what do i go down too after 1.5mg?

Ive been at 1.5mg for a week now. Seem stable so i want to drop again.

What do I drop down to now? 1.0mg?

Also, I only have 4 8mg strips left.. is that going to be enough to fully taper slowly or should i bank on having to see a sub dr one last time.

Robert - Just think, there might be a sucess story with me in it after all... lol..
    Seriousl though, I am really proud of myself for getting on suboxone when ???? got rough and staying on it long enough to get my head right -- and then sucessfully tapering down.

Life is good, what can I say a lot of mornings now I even forget to take my dose I am soo busy, and then i remember later in the afternoon. That has to be a good sign, right?

Ive been at 1.5mg for a week now. Seem stable so i want to drop again.

What do I drop down to now? 1.0mg?

Also, I only have 4 8mg strips left.. is that going to be enough to fully taper slowly or should i bank on having to see a sub dr one last time.

Robert - Just think, there might be a sucess story with me in it after all... lol..
    Seriousl though, I am really proud of myself for getting on suboxone when ???? got rough and staying on it long enough to get my head right -- and then sucessfully tapering down.

Life is good, what can I say a lot of mornings now I even forget to take my dose I am soo busy, and then i remember later in the afternoon. That has to be a good sign, right?

Proud of you for making the progress you've made. You can go to 1mg from 1.5mg. It's a little over a 25% reduction as I typically suggest but I believe you can handle it fine. I look forward to you being another success story in a short time. God bless.

Default so far so good at 1mg

So far so good at 1mg. Didnt even notice the drop for the past 4 days. I almost totally forgot to take my meds twice this week also. Used to be the first thing i did before I even got out of bed. I would keep my dose at my bedside table so I could just reach over and take it right when i woke up.

Now with my new job I am sooo busy and so rushed I forget someitmes till the afternoon.

Anyway, I will prob stay at 1mg till sometime next week. What will the next dose increment be below 1mg?

.75mg? The slivers are getting really small already lol. dont see how they can get much smaller. Soon I will be taking specs. lol

So far so good at 1mg. Didnt even notice the drop for the past 4 days. I almost totally forgot to take my meds twice this week also. Used to be the first thing i did before I even got out of bed. I would keep my dose at my bedside table so I could just reach over and take it right when i woke up.

Now with my new job I am sooo busy and so rushed I forget someitmes till the afternoon.

Anyway, I will prob stay at 1mg till sometime next week. What will the next dose increment be below 1mg?

.75mg? The slivers are getting really small already lol. dont see how they can get much smaller. Soon I will be taking specs. lol

Yes next dose is .75mg. I would take it all in one dose as small as these are getting. Take around late morning. Keep me posted, You're gettiing so close to being done. God bless.

Ashleyy is offline Member

That is awesome... SO PROUD OF YOU!! Keep it going and let us know.

I plan to start tapering more in 3 days.
    Ashley