detoxing off methadone using subutex
    johnlee123 is offline New Member

Default detoxing off methadone using subutex

Hello, I am in my mid 30's, male, been on methadone for at least 10 years from H. Been as high as 50 mgs, now on 5mgs. I was going to go down to 1mg but the clinic I go to is 5mg to 2mg then 0. I tried to go down to 2 but that is more than half your dose and I might as well kick. It takes about 48hrs before I start to feel W/D. I have about 24mgs of subs, but in pill form, 8mg. I think I can induct using Robert's plan on 1mg-0.5mg since I am at a low dose. I figure I will have to wait at least 4 days after last methadone dose since I have been on it for so long. My plan is to weigh it total, then crush it, then weigh out 0.5mg. I am going to start taking vitamins and eating bananas now. I dont want to take the subs for longer than 14 days. 21 at the most, but I would run out anyways. I hope that is long enough for the methadone to work itself out. I am trying to take off work for about 3 weeks to do this. I hope that is enough. Any advice would be helpful.

I feel that it has been a monkey I needed to shed. I relapsed a lot with H. Been opiate free for at least 4 years except methadone. I believe that I will never go down that road again. Only time will tell.

Anonymous Guest

i used subs to come off a very long methadone habit. (oh 25plus years of all sorts of drug abuse actually)

the only time i took off work was the initial induction. otherwise i worked right thru. you shouldnt need to take 3 weeks off if you use the plan like you say you are.

good on ya for gettin down to 5mg, that in itself is awesome.

you should also not need 1mg of subs. definately when you do induct, do it in .25mg at a time, and i think you will find you stabilize on a very low dose. and realize subs feel different. you dont feel the same as on methadone. you actually feel ''normal''. but without any wd symptoms. thats the easiest way to explain how ya feel.

good luck.

thanks for responding. I plan on stopping my last methadone dose on a Thursday. Work Friday and then go thru the worst of it on the weekend when I'm off. I might take the Monday off depending on if I start subs on Sunday or Monday. I was thinking about just kicking c/t from 5mg.

Its been a long road to recovery I can say. I hope to feel normal by the New year. 10+ years is a long time to be numb.

Since I will induct at such a low dose, when should I stop? Should I take them for at least 14 days or stop early if I feel ok? I know the whole point is to work the methadone out of your system then get off subs before that takes hold. I read it takes 14 days? to get it out of your body.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Cheeky will be back to help you with your question and really knows what she's talking about, but you need to read the following post as this will give you an idea of what to expect. Everybody's a bit different. Good for you getting off the methadone!

Go to featured drugs: http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html and read Robert's taper instructions. You also want to go online and find the COWS sheet to measure your withdrawal, you need to be at a 26 minimum score.

Peace,

Iloerose

Anonymous Guest

it depends on the start dose of subs as to how long you are on them. but with tapering every 4 days or so by 25% you cant tell till you know your starting dose.

but this stuff works mate. i was 'numb' on methadone for decades too and its great to get off. just remember when you switch, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT A 26... THATS IMPORTANT.

then, hopefully you start on a low dose like 1mg or less if possible. you shouldnt need more than 2mg tho. i dont think anyways. but if you do to get stable, you do. it is sooo individual.

and just remember, on subs. you feel 'normal', not high or zoned like on methadone. but that 'normal' feels great after we hit a 26 on the chart, from there you will be able to count off a lot easier.

in my opinion (ive counted down off methadone and subs) it is easier to use subs to come off... the symptoms are less severe and less intense. and they are manageable.

google cows sheet like rose says, and read the link carefully. this will set you up to succeed and get off the damn liquid handcuffs. been there done that. they suck.

all the best mate.

I saw the COWS sheet and will follow it until I hit 26. I accidentally took some subs mistaken for xanax and it was bad. I threw up for 2 days straight. I thought I was going to die. I laugh now actually. It took another 2 days at least to finally feel the methadone. I still dosed everyday thinking it would somehow work.

I am hoping that I can induct on 1mg or less also. Using Robert's plan I would be on it for about a month. It depends if I taper every 3 or 4 days.

I never felt high or zoned on methadone. Maybe for the first week. Thanks for all your help. I think I might start next Thursday.

Keep posting here! Let us know how you get on. Yeah, you definitely want to be in good w/d mode (26 min.) before you start subs or you will be in precipitated w/d which as you found out is not fun at all. Watch out with the xanax. That stuff will numb you as well as the methadone. Extremely addicting. Keep on going and hang tough.

Peace,

Iloerose

Thanks. I think I might just skip tomorrow and start it now. whats a week. The xanax is only used to sleep. I dont like it anymore. I dont have access to any more. just a couple of mgs for the worst nights. Wish me luck.

Wish you lots of luck and post how you are doing with your induction, especially if you get confused or you need help with anything. Anyways, you can post here for support.
    Hang tough and you'll get through.

Peace,

Iloerose