Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dsac6060
Clonodine and Sub Withdrawals.
    dsac6060 is offline Member

Question Clonodine and Sub Withdrawals.

I have read many testimonials from people regarding clonodine and using it during their sub withdrawal. Apparently it is a miracle to some ppl. How much should one take? I am prescribed .1mg pills. So far the most ive taken is half a pill a day and i am at .5 mg of SUB. When I finish my taper, my dr said she wants me to take this for a few days to help so. What amount do you ppl recommend who have been through this situation before??? She told me try .1mg and see but I know that I def might need a higher dose. Also, if I take it at night will it last me throughout the next day at all or fade away when I wake up??? How long is it effective for? Because I cannot find any info on that part. I wanna know how long will the clonodine be effective until I need to dose next
    We CAN and WILL do this!!!!! Have faith and stay strong

fedupnow is offline Member

Hey dsac

Sorry i didn't get back to you on my thread, this is a good thread though for people looking for info on clonidine!

I personally never liked taking it and only ever took it at night. It's a blood pressure med and is used a lot for opiate withdrawal.. When I would take it during the day, it would suck the energy right out of me and i would lay on the couch all day. I would be ok with half a .1mg tho during the day..

Taken at night it will relax you and may help with sleep.. Not sure how long it lasts, that depends on a lot of factors (BP, Age, Metabolism, etc..) but usually once your off the opiate's they say take 2-3x .1mg a day.. It will help ease the symptoms and calm you down a bit.. keep on eye on your blood pressure when taking this med tho... only take when needed..

There were times i rather bounce around a little bit then to have no energy, so I mostly stayed away from it during the day.

Some people tho swear by it and are much happier with it!

Hopefully others can chime in with there experiences too
    Last edited by fedupnow; 03-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dsac6060 View Post
    I have read many testimonials from people regarding clonodine and using it during their sub withdrawal. Apparently it is a miracle to some ppl. How much should one take? I am prescribed .1mg pills. So far the most ive taken is half a pill a day and i am at .5 mg of SUB. When I finish my taper, my dr said she wants me to take this for a few days to help so. What amount do you ppl recommend who have been through this situation before??? She told me try .1mg and see but I know that I def might need a higher dose. Also, if I take it at night will it last me throughout the next day at all or fade away when I wake up??? How long is it effective for? Because I cannot find any info on that part. I wanna know how long will the clonodine be effective until I need to dose next

Being a blood pressure med you only use it if your pressure goes up. To take .1mg your pressure should be at least 140/110. To take two it should be like 160-180/ 120. You take too much and your pressure will drop too low. You should be monitoring yourself before just swallowing a bunch of clonidine. Hope that helps. I personally don't think you'll need it. You're doing too well! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

got ya, well my girlfriend is a nurse but I dont realy want her to know. I have my dr appointment on Thurs so Ill keep an eye of my BP. I wouldn't just take a bunch of clonodine, but Robert I def am experiencing some anxiety!!!!!!! This gets me the most out of all symptoms, besides RLS.

I'm not opposed to clonidine, just use it cautiously! Remember it's not like popping a perc, it affects your blood pressure. As long as you monitor that and use it accordingly if it helps you it's okay. Lots of people use clonidine inappropriately during opiate detox and I just like to stress the importance of using it the right way. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Absolutely, I am not in the state where I want to be addicted to anything else except LIFE. I'll use it if I need it badly, maybe at night like ppl are saying. Trial and error based on my feelings of handling this anxiety.

Question: Is it smart that I am holding off on my dose as long as possible? Will this make it easier for me to drop my dose and eventually stop? I would think that by waiting longer to take it, less drug is in my system. Or should I stay taking the same time every day for now still?

As you taper down you want to keep on the same doses at the same time each day. Otherwise you'll make it harder on yourself. Stick to the 25% reduction every four days and be steady and consistent. That is my best advice. It will also help you stay out of those anxiety periods you refer to. That isn't necessary. God bless.

Thank you Robert.

Ill do as stated. So far today, I just took .25 mg at 10 am. I feel a bit better so we shall see what happens. It was like the smallest piece ever, I feel like my measurements are off bc one day my pieces seem different sizes but I guess bc i am eyeing them up n not measuring. There should be a special tool designed to cut sub films for tapering!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Suboxowned likes this.

Suboxowned is offline Member

Default dsac

I agree about the small pieces of Sub. I try to cut them as accurate as possible but they always end up being different sizes, lol. I try to hold it with a pair of tweezers then use a small, but very sharp, pair of scissors to cut them. Maybe its my eyes. We need a lab with special tools and the big magnifying lens on a stand. Too funny.
    I have yet to get a script of Clonodine. I hope I can obtain one when I start getting lower. I still can't believe that a couple of weeks ago when I dropped to 1mg, I started having all of these issues with anxiety and sleep. Went off of Sub for 5 days and started back at 1mg and felt like a million bucks!! Everything went away. Anxiety, insomnia and depression all subsided with just 1mg of Suboxone a day. I'm still shocked that I was functioning at 16mg (or maybe 24mgs) of Suboxone. WOW!
    Seriously, just goes to show how strong this drug is and how little of it needs to be used to curb withdrawals.
    I too was "needing" my dose early in the morning but now, I'm not taking it till around 9am. And, I make myself do it so I don't throw myself off. I'm only dosing once a day. Its a good feeling being on such a low dose and feeling okay. It is possible for me to be off of this stuff within a month or two!
    I hope you're feeling okay today and hope the anxiety stays away for you. I hate anxiety. It is such a horrible feeling. It sort of makes you feel helpless. Hang in there. My Dr. said it is perfectly fine for me to hit the gym just as long as I don't use my left foot. What can I do for cardio? I might try the stationary bike (not suppose to) but it will be kinda hard with this big ski boot on my left foot. The strap on the peddle probably won't even cross over this big thing. Oh, I will be purchasing a treadmill within a month. So excited about that. I love the treadmill!!!
    Sorry for such a long post...hope you feel good today! Its suppose to get up to 64 degrees here today! 64 degrees in March for Chicago is really warm---way to early!!!
    Have a great day dsac!!!!
    Aud

Lol, i use tweezers to. Also use the tweezers to put the sub under my tongue bc my fingers are too big. I cannot believe how me taking only .25mg this morning at 10am made me feel so much better. I notice now with the lower doses that I obv need my dose at the certain time. before i felt like i could do w/o it. I agree about feelign good on a low dose, i feel proud of myself basically. BC i am already down really quick from 8mg. However, I did the taper quicker than normal. The anxiety subsided a little after i took my dose about an hr later. The sub def is not as quick and effective now. Hmmm im a trainer at the gym, yea it would be kind of hard ot not use your left foot lol. Maybe try the sauna and sweat. I think this would be good for exercise/weight loss/sweating out the sub. Good good, if you walk on a incline on a treadmill you can actually burn the same calories as running!!! Im more into lifting and programs like "Crossfit" You should look me up on FB, if you ever needed any dietary or exercise advice I could help you out. 64 ugh! lucky! Its like 45 in NJ. But tomorrow and the rest of the week are supposed ot be 67 wooooooooo. Thank the lord bc sometimes i get the chills bad and the cold does not help!

Enjoy each moment u move towards being clean, think of the goal in mind!
    When are you dropping again Aud?