Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Ashleyy
Been having pain, worse while tapering...
    Ashleyy is offline Member

Default Been having pain, worse while tapering...

So, I saw my doctor last week and told him about the pain I was having.

HE WANTS TO GIVE ME 30 MG METHADONE PILLS A DAY prescribed!! I was nearly SHOCKED!!... actually I was shocked.

I am speechless, but hate being in pain and have gotten so far getting onto the Suboxone (including the long 5.5 day wait to be inducted of pure nightmarish days and nights).

SO... Where do I go from here? What do I do about my pain? I had an upper endoscopy (throat and stomach) done in October because it has gotten so bad. They found nothing on my endoscopy, even though the biopsied several areas. Pain pills were the only thing that seemed to work help me be able to eat. When I swallow I get severe esophagus pain that can last up to a few minutes. Severe pain...

I am just racking my brain on what to do... I wish I had no pain and everything would be peachy after tapering off Subs!!

I have NOT accepted to take Methadone again from the doctor... I am just suppose to follow up with him.
    Last edited by Ashleyy; 03-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Ashley

Also... I have over 90 Suboxone pills left... I am at 1.75 mg of Suboxone.

Do I need to go back to the doctor to taper? Every time I go to the doctor, it takes HOURS (once a month) and I have to see a "therapist"... which, HE is a poor excuse for a therapist.
    Ashley

Pillzner is offline New Member

Methadone works very well for some types of chronic pain, while others complain it does not help much The idea for chronic pain is to find a dose between 15-40 mg's and stick w/ it (much different than taking it for addiction, as many use between 300-800 mg's
    (liquid) or more. Some doctors prescribe it 3 times a day for pain, which works for some.

A majority of methadone users eventually develop depression anxiety, zombie type effects
    in the long run. You might want to try SUBUTEX @ between 4-8 mg. before you give up on it completely Some pain Docs' use subutex in conjunction w/ a full agonist pain med'
    because it battles the rebound effects, when using IR meds' Alot of extended release meds' are formulated in ways now that they dont work well w/ many chronic pain patients and the cost is an arm & a leg.
    Just some speculation for you...Good luck
    Last edited by Pillzner; 03-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Pillzner ... Thanks for the wealth of information. I guess I am kind of wanting to be off pain medication all together, but I can't live in complete pain.

My doctor refused Subutex and said he would only prescribe me it if I should him a positive pregnancy test. I don't plan on being pregnant any time soon- so I guess that option is out.
    Ashley

Does anyone else have advice or information to help me with this tough decision??
    Ashley

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    Does anyone else have advice or information to help me with this tough decision??

Ashley ...... bottom line is you are SOOOO close to seeing if your dependency to opiates is causing worse pain or not. Wouldn't YOU like to know how much of this is really necessary and how much worse did the dependency cause it to appear to you?

If you get clean from subs and can't tolerate the pain then you can make an objective decision knowing the truth. I don't even take ibuprofen anymore and I won't even go to where I used to be. But most people find they don't really require meds, at least not "as serious" meds for life, then you make the right choice for you. But I think you owe it to yourself to make that decision while not taking anything with a fresh perspective. Hope that helps. It's your choice, I'm just saying to be sure you're making the right choice. Methadone is a last and final case where opiate replacement maintenance therapy usually ends. I would give myself a chance, that IS what I did a long time ago. It's pretty nice being clean for years. God bless.
    Ashleyy likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert you are right. I do need to give myself a chance and wait and see. I took my normal dose today. I understand everything you are saying. I am glad you are so humble with everyone.

Thank you for replying and lifting my spirits... It means a lot!
    Robert_325 likes this.
    Ashley