120Mg of methadone daily to 16Mg of Suboxone
    kyleshaw0812 is offline New Member

Exclamation 120Mg of methadone daily to 16Mg of Suboxone

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post. I am a 24 yr. old chronic pain paitent. I have Degenerative Disk Disease and It causes me lots of back, arm, hip, leg, and foot pain. My doctor is liscensed and prescribes suboxone for withdrawl, and maintinance. I started with him as a suboxone patient. I began to complain that the large ammounts of Ibuprofen, and asprin wasn't managing my pain at all. So after he recieved my MRI I started on Methadone. I am perscribed 2 10Mg tablets by mouth every four hours.That equals 120Mgs a day. My medication had gotten stollen by a family member, and he was unable to replace it. I was terrified of the withdrawl from the Methadone. He said that he was going to prescribe Trazadone, and Cataphelm patchs. I was certian that these medications would not keep the withdrawl at bay, so I asked if I could have Suboxone instead until my next appointment. I wish i would have just stuck with the Trazadone and Cataphelm. His instructions were to take two strips under my tounge daily. I started taking suboxone something like 24hrs after my last does of Methadone...OMG...I thought I was gonna die. I took one and waited about an hour. My withdrawl seemed so intense I took another one. I couldn't stop moving and puking. I couldn't breath. Vomit got caught in my throat and I choked on it. I started reading up on Suboxone later that day and discovered that I had precipitated withdrawl. I threw myself into precipitated withdrawl several more times after the first. I needed relief from the hellish Methadone withdrawl. I read that Methadone patients need to be on 30Mg or less in order to start Suboxone. I was finally able to take suboxone 1Mg at a time on day nine without Methadone. I see the doctor tomorrow morring and He should fill my Methadone scrip. Should I say something to him? Has anyone ever heard of a doctor messing up the same way? Do I have a malpractice suit?

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Comeback Kid is offline Senior Member

wow just wow. Im gonna leave this to the more seasoned posters. But you were, and are being treated incorrectly. hope you get to feeling better soon. Sorry i can't help
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?” -Father Martin on Step 1
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm)

SuzieOf is offline Member

Yes, I have heard of this and it is so unfortunate that so many doctors know so little about this drug and make so many mistakes. You should most definitely tell him so won't make this mistake again. Glad you are ok now though.

Anonymous Guest

total FOOL OF A DOCTOR.... typical of their ignorance

Thanks everybody for the responses...Whooops...I didn't relly read the rules too well...I also agreee that most private physicans that prescribe suboxone could definalty improve themselves my reading a little more,and slowing down 80mph or so. I dont think I will sue him. He is a very good pain doctor. I was suprised to find that anyone one would treat my pain disorder with opiates. I did start with him openly as a recovering IV H user. He really cares, and i would feel far too selfish if I tried to destroy his career for a small financial gain. But today you can call me the bus driver cause I will be taking the WHOLE doctors office to school...lol...I am glad I feel better too...thanks guys

Ashleyy is offline Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Ashley

Well I saw my doctor today. He put me back on my methadone. When I brought up what had happened he seemed to get really nervous. He spun the blame back aroung on me and told me that no matter what does I am on it is fine to take suboxone as long as I am in mild to moderate withdrawl. I told him that i wasn't able to take it until day 9...WTH...is he right?

Ashleyy is offline Member

I swore? I didn't even realize it ??? hmm...

To sum it up... he is a quack of a doctor!! I feel sorry for you!
    Ashley

alleycat4714 is offline Junior Member

kyle-
    That sounds exactly like what happened to me. I was in rehab for methadone detox, taking the same dose you where on and they gave me 8mg of Suboxone 24hr after my last dose of methadone. I got sick the same way you did and they gave me another 8mg dose, which made it worse. It turned out my doc had never converted anyone from methadone to Suboxone. I don't know how they get away with it, considering they have to be certified to prescribe Suboxone (although it's only an 8hr class!). But just remember, methadone has a very long half-life, too. It's better if you ever are in that situation again to drop your dose to 30mg or detox with Darvon or something. I'm sorry that happened to you and hopefully you're doing better now. Take care!