What comes up in a drug screen?
    shimmyshimmer is offline New Member

Default What comes up in a drug screen?

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place, am new here! Not sure where to go yet

I was referred to pain management from my neuro and my new pmd is sending me for a urine drug screen. Reading from my paper, I'm being screened for Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cannabinoid, Cocaine, Opiates and Phencyclidine. That's it. And they are not using a gas chromotography to test for opoids. For those of you in pain management, is this just a baseline type screening, or are they digging with those? I haven't heard of the majority of what is being tested for so I'm curious as to what shows up. Is an opiate only morphine and >>>>>>? Or would other things such as Oxycodone show up? On the website of the lab I use, it states only those two - that's why I'm asking! I've never been to pain management before, I just didn't know if this was a standard test or if they are searching out specific drugs etc. Does Quest Diagnostics automatically test for things such as Oxycodone, for example? Meaning do they automatically test for the "expanded opiates" even though they weren't ordered by my doc? If it is not specified under the gas chromotography? (I DO have a valid script for Oxycodone, but I took it a few days early/before having my drug screen done because the pain is so severe and I do not drive/have to depend on others to take me to my appointments aka getting UA!!) Thanks for your help!

james48 is offline New Member

I'm not in pain management,but perhaps this can help. My company can subject me to a 6
    panel drug screen. From your post it appears your lab is doing the same. Oxycodone will
    show up on one of those. If you have a valid prescription there's no need to worry about
    testing positive. It's also very important that you give the testing lab a list of everything
    you've been taking. That includes all prescribed medications,vitamins,and non prescribed
    meds. Some of those have been known to produce "false positives"

If someone from my company tests positive for a banned substance,they are required to give
    another sample which is then shipped off to a lab for more advanced testing. The one we use
    is a field test that gives results in a few minutes. I've only had to take one during the last
    year. I passed,so there was no need for farther testing.

When your Dr. administers a test, They want to make sure you're using the medication as
    prescribed. If a patient is prescribed an opiate and is clean at the time of testing,the Dr. may
    cut the patient off because He/She feels the patient may be abusing them. I've seen this happen
    to a close friend of mine. In order to prevent that from happening,the patient should do two things
    before their scheduled appointment. The first is to make sure you've taken the prescribed drug
    a few hours before the visit. The 2nd is to make sure the sample you give is not diluted. Drinking
    copious amounts of water can dilute urine to the point the drug doesn't show up on the test.