Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Vicodin taper what to expect
    Alanda78 is offline New Member

Default Vicodin taper what to expect

Hello!

I am hoping I can find my answers since I do not feel comfortable talking with my doctor. Almost 6 years I had a heart attack. I had to have 6 surgeries resulting in a pacemaker. During this year I was taking pain meds, mostly Darvocet. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri that causes lots of pain, that is when the pain killers started to be thrown at me. I have been wanting to get off of them for a while. I was on Darvocet but they took it off the market and was put on Vicodin. Vicodin did not help as much so I was up to 7-10 a day. This past week I have tapered down to a 1/2 of Vicodin at night only. Should I now cut down to a 1/4? Will I still have the bad withdrawls? I did come off Vicodin before and had bad withdrawls but I did not taper.

To be honest one of the reasons I want to stop because it has become stressful going to the doctor and asking for them. My doctor is mad because I do go to different pharmacies time to time do to prince. ( I have no health insurance ) She is the only one writing me scripts so I do not see her issue. She called me on the phone to scream and yell at me, literly, about me be bossy for refills because I became angry it was taking her office 10 days to refill request made by the pharmacy. I cannot deal with the stress of asking and the anxiety of just going to the doctors. I rather suffer in pain.

I may be a little pernod with pain due to doctors not believing me when I had my gallbladder removed and they lacerated my liver and let me suffer for almost 2 month because they said I was seeking pain meds. They finally believed me when I was jaundiced, septic, had bile peritonitis with a 10% chance to live in ICU.

Sorry to ramble the point is will I still have withdrawls if I tapered to. 1/2 a pill a day? I do not crave Vicodin. I just do not want the withdrawl symptoms. Anything I can take to help with the withdrawls?

Remixe_2000 is offline New Member

Tampering is the best way. My dad started off with darvocet, then was put on vicodin, but was taken off because of the tylonel in it and it began to poisin his liver. Now he takes hydromorphine, he suffers from some nerve pain in his legs from agent orange and was misdiagonsed atleast twice. Depending how you feel I would do it slowly and at 2 week time frame. Take half a pill less every two weeks, should be reasonable unless you could do it at a weekly time frame. Everyone is different, tampering you shouldn't feel withdrawal if done correctly. Just tell you doctor that you feel like your being singled out and you rather just get off of it then deal with the bs. I told my doc I wanted off of everything due to I was going thru a custody battle and didn't want to be called a drug addict because of the types of drugs I was taking and my age 28 makes them give me an automatic look. Even though I have several plates and screws, which cause me great discomfort since I got an mri and they were almost ripped out of my body.

Yeah, I take adderall and I goto a different pharmacy every month due to the shortage. People think your drug addict, but the laws make it impossible for you to wait around for it to come in. I was told at one pharmacy I had only a week to fill my script which was wrong but my dad he gets only a week and sometimes it's hard to find because all level 2 substances are monitered so strictly.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Alanda78 View Post
    Hello!

I am hoping I can find my answers since I do not feel comfortable talking with my doctor. Almost 6 years I had a heart attack. I had to have 6 surgeries resulting in a pacemaker. During this year I was taking pain meds, mostly Darvocet. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri that causes lots of pain, that is when the pain killers started to be thrown at me. I have been wanting to get off of them for a while. I was on Darvocet but they took it off the market and was put on Vicodin. Vicodin did not help as much so I was up to 7-10 a day. This past week I have tapered down to a 1/2 of Vicodin at night only. Should I now cut down to a 1/4? Will I still have the bad withdrawls? I did come off Vicodin before and had bad withdrawls but I did not taper.

To be honest one of the reasons I want to stop because it has become stressful going to the doctor and asking for them. My doctor is mad because I do go to different pharmacies time to time do to prince. ( I have no health insurance ) She is the only one writing me scripts so I do not see her issue. She called me on the phone to scream and yell at me, literly, about me be bossy for refills because I became angry it was taking her office 10 days to refill request made by the pharmacy. I cannot deal with the stress of asking and the anxiety of just going to the doctors. I rather suffer in pain.

I may be a little pernod with pain due to doctors not believing me when I had my gallbladder removed and they lacerated my liver and let me suffer for almost 2 month because they said I was seeking pain meds. They finally believed me when I was jaundiced, septic, had bile peritonitis with a 10% chance to live in ICU.

Sorry to ramble the point is will I still have withdrawls if I tapered to. 1/2 a pill a day? I do not crave Vicodin. I just do not want the withdrawl symptoms. Anything I can take to help with the withdrawls?

Seriously if you have tapered down to 1/2 of a vic a day, just throw the rest away and stop. It's just a pain pill and you're only taking half of ONE a day! Just stop.

Worse case scenario is you may feel a little sluggish for a few days, but I doubt it will be ANY worse than that coming off half a pill. Just do it and get it over with! That is my best advice, you don't need to go to a quarter of a vic, you are just prolonging your agony! Trust me, you won't have to go through a horrid detox off 1/2 a pill. Keep us posted. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    learn2swim likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Remixe_2000 View Post
    Tampering is the best way........... Depending how you feel I would do it slowly and at 2 week time frame. Take half a pill less every two weeks, should be reasonable unless you could do it at a weekly time frame......... Everyone is different, tampering you shouldn't feel withdrawal if done correctly. .

You would actually tell someone on half a pill to reduce the dose every two weeks by half? That is crazy, she isn't hardly taking anything now! She is on ONE HALF of one pill a day! That isn't even hardly using!

And for someone so educated, it's called TAPERING, not TAMPERING. Look up the definitions PLEASE!

You obviously are not involved in any kind of work with addicts or you would stop repeating the term "tampering." At first I thought it was just a typo but you continue to tell people to TAMPER! LOL Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at that one! You need to do a little more studying beyond your current degree, whatever it is in, maybe take a basic English class. God bless.
    sickofsubs likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Fab Lawyer? what a douche.
    sickofsubs likes this.

None of us are dr's A$$ Hat, we are just trying to pay forward a little.. Not sure why you and your fancy degree could not comprehend that one sport.
    sickofsubs and Robert_325 like this.

Anonymous Guest

Really a lawyer !! Becouse you spelled a word wrong ! So if your so smart tell us about you, I would love to hear this !
    caughtagain likes this.

Anonymous Guest

AND i havent got a degree, but i can spell. lol...
    Robert_325 and caughtagain like this.

They don't teach reading, riting and rithmetic in school anymore!
    MP5, luvy298 and caughtagain like this.

Anonymous Guest

then they should stop tampering with the education department. bahahaha
    luvy298, Robert_325 and sickofsubs like this.

CA.... funny.... you have not lost that Kiwi sense of Humor
    Robert_325 likes this.

Remixe_2000 is offline New Member

This whole thing has been going on over many different posts. I was using my Iphone it's on automatic spell check and I asked Robert many times to stop posting to me. Perhaps someone knows how to block him, instead of me getting his internet canceled or fined. Last time I checked this is the internet, I don't take it too seriously because it's an outlet. Maybe I'm naive to think if your taking drugs you should know the most you can about it. I don't have an hour to write a post to explain down to the composition of that one drug. I have personal experience with percocet, vicodin, tramadol, ambien, adderall, and pretty much every benzo. Plus the patches of subutex, the pills of subutex, and pills/films of suboxone. The reason why I know so much about these drugs was from having cancer, college, a plate and 7 screws in my collar bone, and pelvic girdle pain from the birth of my only child.

I apologize if any of my grammer or spelling is incorrect, I speak 3 different languages and English isn't my first.
    thalia45 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

maybe, well just have you blocked remi, we work as a team here. I dont thing your a team player.
    Robert_325 likes this.

Sunny mom is offline Member

You say you don't take it too seriously, but then YOU are the one threatening to sic your "fab lawyer " on Robert...sounds like you're taking it seriously to me. You're giving REALLY bad advice to the good people on this board who are DESPERATELY trying to save their lives and get clean, you're wasting everyone's time. Classic Internet troll behavior to me, so I'm done wasting time responding to you.
    Robert_325 and sickofsubs like this.

MP5
    MP5 is offline Member

id·i·ot (d-t)
    n.
    1. A foolish or stupid person.
    2. A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
    3.An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. Archaically the word mome has also been used. The similar terms moron, imbecile, and cretin have all gained specialized meanings in modern times. An idiot is said to be idiotic, and to suffer from idiocy. A dunce is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning. An idiot differs from a fool (who is unwise) and an ignoramus (who is uneducated/an ignorant), neither of which refers to someone with low intelligence.

Only worth a copy-n-paste

Mike
    Robert_325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remixe_2000 View Post
    This whole thing has been going on over many different posts. I was using my Iphone it's on automatic spell check and I asked Robert many times to stop posting to me. Perhaps someone knows how to block him, instead of me getting his internet canceled or fined. Last time I checked this is the internet, I don't take it too seriously because it's an outlet. Maybe I'm naive to think if your taking drugs you should know the most you can about it. I don't have an hour to write a post to explain down to the composition of that one drug. I have personal experience with percocet, vicodin, tramadol, ambien, adderall, and pretty much every benzo. Plus the patches of subutex, the pills of subutex, and pills/films of suboxone. The reason why I know so much about these drugs was from having cancer, college, a plate and 7 screws in my collar bone, and pelvic girdle pain from the birth of my only child.

I apologize if any of my grammer or spelling is incorrect, I speak 3 different languages and English isn't my first.

I am not attacking you now. If you don't do well with English, I just checked the internet personally, and my advice is on web sites in French, Italian, Arabic, German, Spanish, some of Russian languages and others. I work with people all around the world. Perhaps you would do better on one of the other sites where the primary language is one that you do better with. Then we can end all this nonsense. I don't have the time for this in my life as I'm very busy. And I wouldn't want you to call the internet police on me, God forbid!
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    sickofsubs likes this.

Alanda78 is offline New Member

Thank you for all the advice. I was just concerned I may have bad GI issues. That is what I delt with in the past. I am so sorry this question seemed to go so far off the subject. I know I spelt words wrong in my original post and I am a teacher. Sometimes, you may spell a word wrong or use the wrong word depending on the device you may be using. Again, sorry about all the anger my post/ question seemed to cause.

You did nothing wrong, don't be concerned in the least that any of the fussing was due to you! God bless.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Remixe
    Your attitude $uck$ big time. Lawyer, Doctor or whatever you supposedly are, you will not find that many people care about that here. Especially considering 3/4 of the people that are here with their lives in shambles are here specifically because of you "super duper educated" Doctors who have made royal messes out of them.
    sickofsubs likes this.

thalia45 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    AND i havent got a degree, but i can spell. lol...
    If you can spell so well than why didn't your "havent" have an apostrophe in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You would actually tell someone on half a pill to reduce the dose every two weeks by half? That is crazy, she isn't hardly taking anything now! She is on ONE HALF of one pill a day! That isn't even hardly using!

And for someone so educated, it's called TAPERING, not TAMPERING. Look up the definitions PLEASE!

You obviously are not involved in any kind of work with addicts or you would stop repeating the term "tampering." At first I thought it was just a typo but you continue to tell people to TAMPER! LOL Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at that one! You need to do a little more studying beyond your current degree, whatever it is in, maybe take a basic English class. God bless.
    Robert, is your "spell check" so sophisticated that it supplies "tapering" rather than "tampering"? ...a much more common word? We are all becoming virtual idiots because we don't turn that "helpful" option off in preferences. Give us a break!

Quote Originally Posted by thalia45 View Post
    Robert, is your "spell check" so sophisticated that it supplies "tapering" rather than "tampering"? ...a much more common word? We are all becoming virtual idiots because we don't turn that "helpful" option off in preferences. Give us a break!

Not to be a smart ass, but I don't use spell check EVER!!! I've never used it once in my life. I just happen to know how to spell and I type about 80 wpm with no errors, so I have a slight advantage over some of the others here. No way I could crank out so many replies if I didn't type that fast with accuracy. God bless.

Not to be a smart ass, but I don't use spell check EVER!!! I've never used it once in my life. I just happen to know how to spell and I type about 80 wpm with no errors, so I have a slight advantage over some of the others here. No way I could crank out so many replies if I didn't type that fast with accuracy. God bless.
    Robert, I think you know how much I respect you, but this "supply the word" is really a problem. Many people don't know how to turn it off, so we are turning into a nation of "seeming" idiots. I get editorial in all the time with this weird stuff and it is like Scrabble to figure out what was really meant. We are now a nation of "proofreaders", if one wants to sound intelligent. The "machine" is winning.

You have helped so many people here...what can I say but that I am in awe of the incredible amount of time you spend to do that. At this point, I expect to get "banned" (since whatever I say seems to be a "lie"); I don't have much hope. But I will always say to others that you are the best at what you do to help people taper, get off meds, etc. I am just sorry things have gotten so sour with an old friend. Still, you are amazing. -Jana

Jana .... I really don't hold any grudges with people anymore. Haven't done that in some time now. I guess as my faith has grown so have I. I am not sour, just want you to get well. You'll be in my prayers! God bless.
    HopefulnHouston likes this.

Anonymous Guest

I NEVER USE SPELL CHECK EITHER. people who know me also know i use slang and shortcuts, but i can spell very well, and hate spell checks..

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thalia45 View Post
    If you can spell so well than why didn't your "havent" have an apostrophe in it?
    oh jana, gettin all cocky over here now.... last i looked an apostrophe wasnt actually a spelling thing. and if you notice, i use a lot of shortcuts and slang, i was giving you a break on your endless threads of whining, and biting my tongue, but this smartass post made me laugh.... aint you so smart eh...
    and NO i dont use spellcheck, i dont need it....

Pegaboomer is offline New Member

Wow! I just read through this thread, and, with respect, it sounds a lot like addicts to me. I am one. I get angry too. I try not to write it on a public forum. I really try not to write personal attacks because it hurts me so much when I get them.

I am looking for help titrating down from Vicodin. I've just switched from 7/7 to 5/5. I was taking 7/7 twice a day. My Dr. says I can take 5/5 every six hours during the day, and gradually move that to fewer hours; then think about taking dosage down again. I really want off this. Been taking it for two years since serious back surgery.

I've quit drinking anything alcoholic (6 mos.), gotten off Xanax, Carbadopa/Levadopa (for Tardive Dyskinesia), and now Vicodin. Feeling pretty shaky after four hours.

What is your experience?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You are taking one 5mg. vicoden 4 times a day, and are going to taper down, correct? or are you taking 2 5mg. vicoden? It's unclear here what you are taking. But a good taper is .25 of your dose about every four days.
    Can you be clearer about how much you are taking currently?

Iloerose

I am sure Iloerose has the best advice, but I will tell you that you are not alone. We have become a nation of addicts-lots of it helpful and well-meaning, but I got into the Vicodin/Hydrocodone by prescription. I had already sussed out that my DOC: alcohol was uncontrollable, thus clearly I was an addict, but at the time I needed it (pain relief) I just took what was given to me, thinking that a prescription was OK?

Vicodin=good feelings! Thus began years of understanding that addiction is addiction.

I posted this as support; no answers...

Pegaboomer is offline New Member

Thank you for your answer, Iloerose. I am taking one Vicodin 5.5 three times a day (every 6 hours). I've been doing this for three days. Before that, I was taking one Vicodin 7.5 twice a day (every 8 hours) for about a year and a half. Thanks for asking for clarification. My Dr. is helping me, but I am not sure about the feelings I am having and just wanted to check in and ask. I'm feeling shaky, a little anxious, out of body, nerves singing (know what I mean?). Also VERY thirsty. Drinking alot of water. Sometimes feel faint, but not quite. Just not feeling very happy. But, I can handle it if I know that it is going to stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast