Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By getmeouttahere
  • 1 Post By getmeouttahere
tramadol, the devil's invention
    getmeouttahere is offline New Member

Unhappy tramadol, the devil's invention

Hi everyone,

I am new here. Getting ready to start weaning myself down from 400 mg of tramadol a day. And I am scared to death.

I started out on vicodin, progressed to norco, of course taking too many. I have si issues from a work related back injury ( I am a nurse) pain mgmt. Doc put me on ER morphine, with IR tabs for break through pain. I never abused them, but they made me crushingly depressed. So I took my last tab, cancelled my appt for the next refill and suffered my ass off. I made it, and felt so strong. But the pain was still there, so my doc suggested these little non addictive and harmless pills called tramadol. They worked great. I had no pain, energy to spare and I was happy..a big deal in itself since I was still suffering from PAWS.

Fast forward 3.5 years. I have never exceeded the 400 mg daily dosage limit, but at times I feel the urge to. I knew in the back of my head they were an issue, but I refused to acknowledge it till now. I mean, they aren't addictive, right?? Right. I have to get off of then before they become a huge issue. I can not let myself become a person taking 20-30-40 pills a day to be "normal". I refuse. I am not too concerned about the opiate like w/d. I've done it before, it sucks, but it goes away. What I am most worried about is the major depression, fatigue and insomnia that seems to accompany this. I am a nurse, have two children and a home to take care of. I can't be that debilitated for a couple of months. I am also concerned about my pain levels in my back after it is all said and done. I feel like I am out of options on the pain management front.

I am doing this on my own. After all my doc doesn't think they are even addictive. I have a 6 week taper schedule drawn up. I am already on edge all the time about it. I would like to just stop and be done with it, but my gut tells me that's a bad idea. I know I have to take accountability for me, but I am so pissed I'm back here. I am so pissed for everyone who has went through this after being told it was a safe, non addicting substance. I am so sad.
    surfdog likes this.

I forgot to add...now that I have decided I'm quitting, I wake up thinking about the day I won't be taking them and go to bed with the same thoughts and have them all the rest of the day inbetween. I have never obsessed over this drug, but now that I want to quit it, it is all I can think about! Oh my God, someone help me.

subzero58 is offline New Member

Cool your not alone

hi getmeout,dont beat yourself up about tramadol,ultram and all the other pretty names they have for that stuff.15 years or so ago i had a family doctor who would not perscrib me even tylonal 1,2,3or 4 but he told me about ultram and how they are nonnarcotic.and he would prescrib them for me.well as it turns out a month or 2 of taking them he tells me he just found out just how close chemists can make a drug legal without over stepping the "legal" criteria for additive. way back then the drug companies knew exactly what they had created.but like you said ultimately it up to us what we put in our bodies.so you,me and thousands of others believed the lie.so now we know.let the buyer beware...subzero58

Elyse123 is offline Member

Getmeouttahere,

Im sorry you feel sad and deceived ....if your gut is telling you, enough is enough...then you must be doing the right thing....i tried tramadol for my compressed spinal cord , I didn't think anything of it, it was affective with pain and my doctor said " this is a non narcotic" pain reliever....i never took it again cause after that I got a prescription for my pain for good ol' oxycontin so glad im off of that! Don't beat yourself up, you have already drawn up your tapper plan , I will be here following your thread , I wish you luck ....i have a strong feeling, you're gonna have this in the bag! Rooting for you...

Elyse Gia

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new here. Getting ready to start weaning myself down from 400 mg of tramadol a day. And I am scared to death.

I started out on vicodin, progressed to norco, of course taking too many. I have si issues from a work related back injury ( I am a nurse) pain mgmt. Doc put me on ER morphine, with IR tabs for break through pain. I never abused them, but they made me crushingly depressed. So I took my last tab, cancelled my appt for the next refill and suffered my ass off. I made it, and felt so strong. But the pain was still there, so my doc suggested these little non addictive and harmless pills called tramadol. They worked great. I had no pain, energy to spare and I was happy..a big deal in itself since I was still suffering from PAWS.

Fast forward 3.5 years. I have never exceeded the 400 mg daily dosage limit, but at times I feel the urge to. I knew in the back of my head they were an issue, but I refused to acknowledge it till now. I mean, they aren't addictive, right?? Right. I have to get off of then before they become a huge issue. I can not let myself become a person taking 20-30-40 pills a day to be "normal". I refuse. I am not too concerned about the opiate like w/d. I've done it before, it sucks, but it goes away. What I am most worried about is the major depression, fatigue and insomnia that seems to accompany this. I am a nurse, have two children and a home to take care of. I can't be that debilitated for a couple of months. I am also concerned about my pain levels in my back after it is all said and done. I feel like I am out of options on the pain management front.

I am doing this on my own. After all my doc doesn't think they are even addictive. I have a 6 week taper schedule drawn up. I am already on edge all the time about it. I would like to just stop and be done with it, but my gut tells me that's a bad idea. I know I have to take accountability for me, but I am so pissed I'm back here. I am so pissed for everyone who has went through this after being told it was a safe, non addicting substance. I am so sad.
    Welcome get me out, glad you are here. Beating yourself up will not accomplish anything but make you feel worse. It happened, you have realized what is going on and made a decision. That takes courage!
    The drug companies did the same thing with Stadol "non addictive" a nosespray, each squirt up the nose was the equivalent of 38mg of Demarol. But according to the company "non addictive"
    You can find the help and support you want and need here, the people are supportive and very knowledgeable, they only want to help. You can do this and there will be support. Anything I can do I will. God Bless and hang in there Surfdog
    (can't type /spell for s#@%)

Thank you, so much, for posting and showing support. Very appreciated today!

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post
    Thank you, so much, for posting and showing support. Very appreciated today!
    You are very welcome getme out, I think you will be amazed at the support you will find here you CAN do this, if I can get sober anybody can lol GHod Bless Surfdog

BrianO is offline New Member

I kicked tramadol last summer, horrid drug, was still on vicoden so it masked the symptoms but remember it being hell on earth. definitely taper that stuff if you can, God Bless

micronurse is offline Junior Member

Smile

Hello there. I am a nurse too. I am getting ready to come off Avinza 480 mg/day, had Oxycodone 15 mg 1 or 2 for breakthrough and also prn Xanax 0.5 mg. Haven't had the Oxy since Feb. And my doctor was asked to leave the group he was in as they said he didn't fit in as none of the others did any pain management. I have to get off these ER mophine now but I SO know what you mean about worrying day and night how you will manage off them. I have a bad back, had surgery once and told now I should get a fusion. Too scared to do that, but worry about pain issues after getting off this and still trying to work crazy hectic 12 hr. shifts in pain. I feel I will just want to lay in bed and cry all the time. Crazy what your brain tells you, isn't it? Glad to hear it was possible for you to beat W/D with morphine -that must have been terrible. And yes they all said Ultram was non- narcotic didn't they, but then patients were finding themselves addicted to it and some were having really hard times stopping it. I am so sorry for how you are feeling and glad to meet someone else who is having the same trouble trying to imagine being off it. I get a lot of encouragement from the people who have posted on here that they felt less pain once they got off the narcotics and am praying that will by my case and if I do need something every now and then after all is said and done that I will have that, whatever it may be, for days when maybe I have run for 12 hours and can hardly walk. Cannot imagine pain off meds either when there is pain on the meds but the hyperanalgesia theory sounds pretty plausible to me. Hang in there and I will be keeping your journey in my prayers over my next few months of whatever happens to me. You will do OK, I also believe, if you taper as they say and good luck to you. It is hard enough being a nurse, at least my children are grown and gone. 40 years in the nursing profession has taken it's toll on my body though. You have the added pressure of a young family on top of the other issues. Maybe in a couple of months we will be talking on here about how much better we feel!

Micronurse....thanks! Haven't been here awhile and needed that today. It's going ok so far, guys! Slow and steady wins the race, right!?

And BTW- I totally buy the hyperanalgesia theories. I know the brain makes you think you are in more pain than you actually are. It's a good excuse to take that next dose.

jpeg24 is offline New Member

Default tramadol taper

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    I kicked tramadol last summer, horrid drug, was still on vicoden so it masked the symptoms but remember it being hell on earth. definitely taper that stuff if you can, God Bless
    Sorry didn't mean to high jack this thread......

I was formerly prescribed bueprenorphine and 11 days ago I stopped at .25mg/day. Was feeling wd's and drug cravings so my doctor prescribed tramadol.I was prescribed tramadol 10 days ago. I started out for 4 days at 350mg-400mg/day to feel "normal". I then started to taper. I was at 250mg/day for 5 days and yesterday went to 200mg. Woke up today sneezing, anxious, and a little edgy. Bc of my profession which I choose not to disclose as having any sort of medical "issues" would jeopardize my career, I will being going thru a training event in which I will not be able to take any medications. So I have about two weeks to stop the tramadol. I took one 50mg dose this morning which made me feel a little better, still sneezing amd anxious. I have about seven 50mg pills left. I plan on 100mg today, 100mg tommorrow, 50mg/day for two days, and then 25mg/day for two days, then quit. Is this too fast for only taking tramadol for two weeks total and my wd symptoms at 150mg/day? Or should I be ok considering the short duration of usage.

Smile

Hi all....been gone a long time after a slow steady taper. On day three of no tramadol and happy to report....very mild symptoms...mild anxiety, sneezing. The worst is a headache and great fatigue. I am sleeping ok though, with nytol. Hopefully things don't get worse for me in the next few days. As of now, it hasn't been to bad. Im OK and FREE!
    carliemae likes this.