Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Robert need advice PLEASE
    another46 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Robert need advice PLEASE

I am on Day 5 on WD symptoms of vicodin and am having constant panic attacks all day. Can't sleep because of the anxiety as well. Most of the other WD symptoms have been minimul the last day or so.

I was taking dr. prescribed 10/325 twice a day for 7 months and the taking them 4 times a day the last 4 months (one every 4 hours). I decided to quit because I didn't like the depedancy and don't want to be hooked on those pills the rest of my life. i have a wonderful wife and 1 1/2 year old daughter and that's my motivation.

The dr. prescribed me 10 ativan and 10 klonopin for the severe anxiety. I have taken them the moring of Day 2,3, and 5. I really struggled and tried not to take it yesterday and suceeded. It was hell. I had a panic attack the whole day, couldn't sleep last night, chest pains, so I finally took a klonopin this moring at 5:00 AM.

I am in a dilemma! I am so stressed with anxiety to the point of going to the ER but don't want to take the benzos because it seems the are worse than the vicodin.

What should I do?

1) Not take the benzos and probably end up in the ER
    2) Take the benzos for the next 3 days and then ween off them?
    4) Start from scratch and ween more slowly off the vicodin to avoid the anxiety issues?

I am looking into Detox centers right now too as I think I need some assistance. Is there any other ways to get over the anxiety. I have been exercising daily, taking HTP5, passion flower, gava gava, and valerium root. Also, just started taking L-Tyrosine.

Thanks so much in advance!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by another46 View Post
    I am on Day 5 on WD symptoms of vicodin and am having constant panic attacks all day. Can't sleep because of the anxiety as well. Most of the other WD symptoms have been minimul the last day or so.

I was taking dr. prescribed 10/325 twice a day for 7 months and the taking them 4 times a day the last 4 months (one every 4 hours). I decided to quit because I didn't like the depedancy and don't want to be hooked on those pills the rest of my life. i have a wonderful wife and 1 1/2 year old daughter and that's my motivation.

The dr. prescribed me 10 ativan and 10 klonopin for the severe anxiety. I have taken them the moring of Day 2,3, and 5. I really struggled and tried not to take it yesterday and suceeded. It was hell. I had a panic attack the whole day, couldn't sleep last night, chest pains, so I finally took a klonopin this moring at 5:00 AM.

I am in a dilemma! I am so stressed with anxiety to the point of going to the ER but don't want to take the benzos because it seems the are worse than the vicodin.

What should I do?

1) Not take the benzos and probably end up in the ER
    2) Take the benzos for the next 3 days and then ween off them?
    4) Start from scratch and ween more slowly off the vicodin to avoid the anxiety issues?

I am looking into Detox centers right now too as I think I need some assistance. Is there any other ways to get over the anxiety. I have been exercising daily, taking HTP5, passion flower, gava gava, and valerium root. Also, just started taking L-Tyrosine.

Thanks so much in advance!

Sounds like you are doing this right. In all honesty, with the amount of opiates you were taking and considering the time you were on them, you don't need to check in to a rehab. You're just detoxing. And I wouldn't bother with a taper, you're just prolonging your agony. Don't take any opiates period!

A rehab at this point would be a waste of almost $1000 a day! I know it isn't fun but you'll start to feel better soon. I would only take the benzos if ABSOLUTELY necessary, don't want to create another monster. Benzo detox makes this look like a cakewalk. I would rather see you take a sleep aid like ambien if something over the counter like Excedrin PM doesn't help. Even Benadryl helps with sleep. Try to stay away from more controlled substances at this time if possible. Also valerian root causes some people added anxiety when mixed with the gava. You may be taking too much as well.

I can tell you that your sleep is going to be the very last thing that returns to normal. Of course I used lots longer and more than you for 35 years, but it literally took me three months to go to sleep. I would pass out occasionally from exhaustion for a few hours, but that was it. No one ever died from missing sleep, I still rarely sleep a full night and I've been clean almost ten years. If you can't sleep then get up. Nothing is worse than tossing and turning all night. If you set up and read something boring that will often help to put you to sleep.

You are right at the turning point here. Don't give up before the miracle happens, and you are SOOO close right now. Hang in there and tough it out! You're almost to the point where your days should start getting better, if even by a little each day. So give it a little more time. No one ever said opiate detox was fun, but it won't kill you! That is a fact! Hang in there. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-10-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I took 1mg of Ativan once on Day 2, 1mg of klonopin on Day 3 and 5. Do you think there is a chance I screwed up my brain chemistry to be slighty dependent? That stuff really scares me! If I do need to take it (if I feel like I am having to go to the ER), should I take Ativan or Klonopin? I feel like since today is Day 5, there should be no reason for me to take anything from this point foward.

I will try the benadryl for sleep.

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I took 1mg of Ativan once on Day 2, 1mg of klonopin on Day 3 and 5. Do you think there is a chance I screwed up my brain chemistry to be slighty dependent? That stuff really scares me! If I do need to take it (if I feel like I am having to go to the ER), should I take Ativan or Klonopin? I feel like since today is Day 5, there should be no reason for me to take anything from this point foward.

I will try the benadryl for sleep.

You haven't done any harm to yourself with what you've done. Just relax and focus on your opiate detox. You are fine with the klonopin and ativan. Wish that everyone worried about that kind of dosing. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You haven't done any harm to yourself with what you've done. Just relax and focus on your opiate detox. You are fine with the klonopin and ativan. Wish that everyone worried about that kind of dosing. God bless.
    Your words brought tears of happiness to my eyes I was feeling so depressed today that I had to take the klonopin this morning in fear it was doing me more harm. I was having chest pains, panic attack, and could feel an irregualar heart beat at times, so I guess it was that or the ER. I wonder what they would have done for me if I went there? Do you have any ideas?

Well, I got forced myself to go the gym. I walked fast for 30 min, sat in the sauna for 10 mins (is that a bad idea?), and then the hot tub. Feeling pretty good right now and am praying the anxiety doesn't come back as strong as it has been. Got to have faith!

One last question Robert I think I am going to take a break from all the herbal stress relievers (HTP5, Gava, Lavarian root) and just let my own mind win the battle. Should I take the L-Tyrosine given my anxiety issues? If so, how much.

I will keep you updated how I feel tomorrow. Thanks a million! You are truely god-send. You've inspired me so much.

All the L-Tyrosine does is increase your energy level some. If you're experiencing anxiety and not taking anything else for that issue I would probably not take the L-Tyrosine either as that could possibly aggitate the anxiety a little. Hope that helps. God bless.

Robert, sorry to keep bugging you but today is turning into a tough day. I had mild aniexty the first half of the day and then the panic just hit me. It was about 11 hours after I took the klonopin so maybe that's why. Talk about major mood swings! I feel good one moment and then I am still yawning and gettting the chills, nothing major, but atleast it tells me I'm still getting through the phsyical effects.

Have you seen someone experience this much anxiety as their main WD symptom before? If so, does it reduce as soon as the physical symptoms subside? The reason I'm asking is cause being in panic mode is frighting.

What should I do? Is there a safer drug for anxiety than antivan or klonopin? I feel like I need to go to the ER before I lose my mind sometimes but not sure what that will accomplish. I am tempted to take Ativan but benzos sound too risky! This sucks!

Sorry for being a pest but I feel like I am soo close and need the right plan to get me their soon without losing my mind and being dependant on benzos.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-11-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Take just .5mg of klonopin. They cut easily with a single-edged razor or even a sharp knife will get it close enough. That should help you settle down significantly. God bless.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I owe you so money!!!! I just took a benadryl and am going to try to take a nap. Probably will repeat toningt. If tomorrow is rough and I will take the .5mg, then maybe .25mg the following day if it persist then. Hopefully by then, Day 7, I should be a little less on edge. Thanks again. I owe you big time!

Somehow I found a way to relax myself and I didn't take the benzo last night and slept for 6 hours straight! When I woke up I took some more benodryl, which I think was a mistake since it made me feel a little jittery. I did sleep for an additional 2 hours. My anxiety this morning is managable and what I am used to - a different kind of anxiety - it's weird to explain but I feel so much better. Also, last night was the first night I didn't sweat in my sleep! I actually had dreams last night too - normal dreams.

I think I am turning the corner and over the worste. Mornings have been the worste for me, so this is a great sign how I am feeling today. I am prepared for rough days ahead as I know I still need time to heal.

Thanks for your support!

I just wanted to add this. My mom sent me some scripture versus to help me and this one stuck. I thought I would share as it may help others in the future:

Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let YOUR petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard YOUR hearts and YOUR mental powers by means of Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6,7
    lilnadz likes this.

I just wanted to add this. My mom sent me some scripture versus to help me and this one stuck. I thought I would share as it may help others in the future:

Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let YOUR petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard YOUR hearts and YOUR mental powers by means of Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6,7

That is some of my favorite scripture. The Apostle Paul wrote that in a letter to the church in Phillipi while he was imprisoned, one of the many times, for prophesing his faith in Jesus Christ. You are doing awesome, glad that you didn't take the benzo. Yes too much benadryl can cause you feel anxious so be careful with how much you take. It is a vasoconstrictor, it restricts blood flow by constricting blood vessels as all antihistamines do. So watch the amount you take. Small doses won't hurt, but pay attention to how your body reacts. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-11-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks for the backround on that. Makes even more sense now why it was written. Overall my day was better. I had times of tough anxiety but nothing like the past few days where I thought I needed to go to the ER.

I'm just going to stick with the multi-vitamin and eating healthy from this point foward. I am convinced time is the only medicine for these situations. Realizing that has helped me with not letting the anxiety turn into panic.

Going back to work tomorrow - missed three days last week. Have a busy week ahead of me so that should keep my mind occupied. I am ready to get back to the routine. I live in WI and this week is the first week of 65-70 degree weather so that is a blessing to help keep me busy outside with my wife and daughter as well.

Thanks again for all of your guidance! I will keep you updated when I make even more progress. I feel like I need to spread the word that Dr.s aren't always right and the dangers of vicodin and benzos. Ultimately, it's my fault I started taking them. I knew that they were narcotics but didn't know the dangers of dependency and recovery from stopping. Thank god I never took benzos. After a family crisis when I was in college a Dr. tried to prescribe me zanax but I declined and worked through the anxiety on my own, which was only a couple days of panic attacks.

I am sure I am boring if anyone is reading this, but this is such great therapy to get through this tough time and people like Robert are a gift from god to offer knowledge and encouragement. Hoping to do the same when I am through this!

It's been 8 days since I started my two day ween and 6 days clean. Can't wait to wake up to Day 7 tomorrow!
    lilnadz likes this.

I was feeling pretty good last night and now I am miserable. I only slept for 3 hours at the most and had anxiety all night. I am at work now but I am extremely depressed and have anxiety. I am pretty sure I am past the WD. I just started day 7 and only took one pill the 24 hours before that. It's all mental now, I know that but with a history of mental illness in my family I am wondering if I need additional help. I always been able overcome those issues, but just barely. Being straight edge was probably the reason. I have no cravings for the vicodin but feel lifeless. If anyone has suggestions on how I can handle this without scaring my wife away or losing my job it would appreciate it.

My anxiety has subsided. Thank god! I can deal with being depressed but anxiety is a killer. Starting to realize I am just going to have to deal with being depressed for awhile. My anxiety escalates if I can't sleep more than a couple hours. I didn't take benadryl or tylenol pm last night....scared it would make me jittery. If I can get some sleep get rid of the anxiety I can do this easily. Maybe a half dose of benadryl tonight? Anyone know any other tricks to get some sleep?
    Last edited by another46; 03-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.

False alarm. I am in panic mode! At work about to leave. Is it possible I am still in detox??? It has been 6 days and a few hours since my last pill. I am lost and not sure what to do. If I go to the er they will probably give me something to calm me....don't want to replace one drug with the other! I feel like I need anxiety medicine before I lose it. Scared if I take a klonopin I will need them for the next few weeks and don't want to be addicted to those! I'd rather take my low dose of vicodin instead. I need some answers so I can be pill free!

I am pretty certain that I have an anxiety issue and the vicodin masked it and brought it out at it's worste. I am willing to treat it but don't want to take benzos in fear of what I have heard it does. What is the best way to treat it without using benzos? Are the other anxiety meds (ones that take longer to kick in) less dangerous?

I guess I am still in WD since I have a massive case of the chills. Maybe that explains my unstableness and severe anxiety. I came home from work and took a benadryl and am going to try to take a little nap.

Robert - is it ok to take valarium root with benadryl? Also, if my panic gets too bad I might resort to a klonopin. I have Ativan too. Which one is less likely to cause me problems if I needed to take them a few times over the next few days? I'm getting mixed response from people. I think I need sleep. Maybe getting ambien will help and that would be a better option than a benzo right?? I would only use for a couple days.

Elyse123 is offline Member

Hey another46

I feel for you, I know about anxiety all too well......im sure Robert will be here soon to answer your questions, you may be in an acute state of severe anxiety due to your withdrawals and lack of sleep, that's normal but I know it sucks, honestly , if you go to the ER they will just give you injectable ativan. Try warm baths, and try not to let what's happening physically freak you out.....you will be okay, I promise , Robert got me clean , im on day 4 good luck to you and wait for Robert , he will get you through but in the meantime, for your acute panic, go for a walk, warm bath, slight exercise, and whatever Robert advises you to do in regards to your meds..im really proud of you cause this is almost over for you, hang in there ....

With love,
    Elyse

Thanks for your kind words Elyse. I read through your journey and am very proud of you!

You can see the ups and downs I had today but still feel calm after my nap 6 hours ago. I really think the lack of sleep is what puts the WD anxiety into overdrive. I will take benadyrl before bed and that should help.

I do feel better than I did last night, so I guess I just need to take it day by day. I am really sensitive to drugs so maybe this physical detox may take longer. I am so happy for the support I am getting from you guys, my wife, and family. That really makes a difference!!!

Have a good night!

Another 46,
    Thank you for the support on me getting clean. When I read your post , I felt like that was me in the beginning of the detox, I myself get anxiety when I have physical things happening in my body, like withdrawals , and lack of sleep, right now it's most likely your major contributing factor in the anxiety you're experiencing , after your sleep gets under control , you will be just fine, I promise cause it happened to me. Trust in the process and soon, you'll be back to yourself in no time! You are strong and doing the right thing, im very proud of you....stick it out a little longer and you will be free! Bless you and ill pray you get some good sleep....

With love,

Elyse

dsac6060 is offline Member

It's like peaks and valleys.....best way to describe it.

Fine one moment then a rollercoaster for the next few hrs.

Stay strong, Im in the same situation as you with anxiety. I'm at .325mg/day if you need anyone to talk to im here
    We CAN and WILL do this!!!!! Have faith and stay strong

Thanks for the words. Feeling pretty good today. Day 8 almost complete.

Good for you! This will be behind you in no time! Im proud of you

Blessings,
    Elyse

Thanks. It seems my anxiety is only in the morning now. I believe from lack of sleep. I wake up while it's still dark out and the fact that I can't sleep probably starts it.

The mornings are tough! I feel soo tired and depressed. I guess I am just waiting to sleep "normal" again. My dr. prescribed me Vistaril to help sleep so will give that a try.

I still have physical symptoms (anxiety, chills, sweating at night, bathroom issues) so hopefully those will end soon...tomorrow's day 10 so I know I'm close. With my low dose of vicodin and less than a year of use I thought this would be easier. I have always been sensitive to meds, etc.. so that's probably why.

The weird thing is after noon, besides the physical stuff, I have no anxiety and feel good. This has happened the last 2-3 nights so I'm not sure why everything hits me in the morning.

Besides a little panic this morning, I have felt very little anxiety today. However, I was really tired and depressed, so I took some L-Tyrosine. I haven't been taking it because of the anxiety. I will try to take that in the mornings from now on to see if that helps.

Here's to a better tomorrow!

Thanks. It seems my anxiety is only in the morning now. I believe from lack of sleep. I wake up while it's still dark out and the fact that I can't sleep probably starts it.

The mornings are tough! I feel soo tired and depressed. I guess I am just waiting to sleep "normal" again. My dr. prescribed me Vistaril to help sleep so will give that a try.

I still have physical symptoms (anxiety, chills, sweating at night, bathroom issues) so hopefully those will end soon...tomorrow's day 10 so I know I'm close. With my low dose of vicodin and less than a year of use I thought this would be easier. I have always been sensitive to meds, etc.. so that's probably why.

The weird thing is after noon, besides the physical stuff, I have no anxiety and feel good. This has happened the last 2-3 nights so I'm not sure why everything hits me in the morning.

Besides a little panic this morning, I have felt very little anxiety today. However, I was really tired and depressed, so I took some L-Tyrosine. I haven't been taking it because of the anxiety. I will try to take that in the mornings from now on to see if that helps.

Here's to a better tomorrow!

You have just about crossed over to the other side! Proud of you! Ten days is awesome. Every day should start getting better and better. Hang in there, you only have to do this once if you don't go back. You never have to use again! God bless.
    another46 and Elyse123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You have just about crossed over to the other side! Proud of you! Ten days is awesome. Every day should start getting better and better. Hang in there, you only have to do this once if you don't go back. You never have to use again! God bless.
    Thanks for the encouragement! It amazes me how much you give to this forum. I've pretty much have told my whole family about you.
    Elyse123 likes this.

Day 10 almost complete. I woke up a little anxious but didn't feel depressed. This was huge for me since the morning gloom has been so tough for me. I went and worked out and actually enjoyed it vs. it being forced. I was feeling great and then had a set back - had a few hours of anxiety and negative thoughts but was able to overcome it by relaxing. This is new for me too. The only way I overcame the anxiety the last 10 days was by being busy. Relaxing to releive stress is my usual technique.

My GI issues were the worste today - that and sweating in my sleep are the only lasting symptoms. Maybe it's in part to my new diet too. Once I can sleep w/out benodryl I will be BACK.

Speaking of back, my back pain hasn't been too bad, but today it was horrible. Once I lay down with one of those instant heat packs, the pain goes away. The last 10 days has been the least painful in the last year. I can't believe it (I kind of can because the reason I quit is I felt the meds were making it worse). This whole time I have never had a "craving" or have been tempted to take the pills. I was actually focussing on the pain sometimes to get my mind off the anxiety, haha! For me, since the thought of a vicodin makes me sick, is all mental. Just need to keep exercising until my brain chemistry can repair.

Here's to another day of improvement!

Another 46,

You're doing awesome! I hear you with the GI issues, I still have some residual loose stool but nothing crazy. Im still taking the Benadryl to help me sleep. Other than that 9 days clean ! I feel better and better each day....i have some serious back issues , torn disc, compressed spinal cord and just the day before yesterday , I was in pain took two ibuprofen and sat on my heating pad....i have less pain now , that im off of pills ....weird how that works right? But pain I must always deal with .....in any natural way I can. I want to say im so proud of you, you are toughing it out and doing better and better keep it up ....have a nice night.

Elyse
    Robert_325 likes this.

another46 ...... Listen to Elyse! She blew right through this deal! She knows the program I promise you. Thanks for sharing with others, Elyse! People need advice from newly successful people like you. They can relate to you so much. God bless.
    Elyse123 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast