Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cowboy bill
  • 2 Post By ARTIST658
Prescription Opiate Addict here, Need help/support
    TurkeyMike is offline New Member

Unhappy Prescription Opiate Addict here, Need help/support

Hi guys, my drug of choice is precription pain killers (anywhere from tylenol3 to fentanyl, though i havent done that in months) I have basically been taking these drugs for the last 4 years and I have tried to quit before but i have to kick this habbit so it no longer drags me down in my life and i can appreciate the things in life that i may not take full advantage of. I started taking them after i was over prescribed vicodin after i shattered my hip, then directly after that i had apendectomy. I have numerous other problems that other 23 year olds should not have to deal with because of my injuries through out my life. But instead of just using these pills for pain i started taking them to help live with all my daily stressers and the actuall pain. The amount of pills I take is continually going up and I want to make a stop in this. I need my priorities straight and these drugs are not helping me fight towards the dreams i have for myself and my recently pregnant girlfriend. Im not to the point of taking the drugs are the most important thing in the world but they do affect my mood whether depression, anxiety or aggression. I have gone weeks, maybe about a month without taking them before then i relapse worse then i did before. I just want to live the life i need to live so myself and my family can be happy together and not worry about my stupid mistake i made about these drugs. I am ashamed of my self for not only letting down myself but my whole family. I have gone 48 hours cold turkey from not taking any and im hoping this one lasts. I just want to be able to going back to being happy without a substance helping to boost my attitude. If there is anyone else out there that could know of anyway to help me, all help would be appreciated. Thank you guys very much. Hopefully one day I will be able to be the person helping someone recover from their addiction.

Thanks again,

Mike

Lildog is offline Junior Member

Hey Mike

Welcome to the neighborhood! While I am "not" educated enough to offer any advice there is a lot of people here that is. I am a great cheerleader though! Might want to post this on the "need to Talk" forum it seems to have more traffic. I just didn't want your ask for support to get swallowed up. Like I said I only cheer and welcome you for making a Great Decision in your life.

Now as Tim McGraw says "How Bad do you want it". You are your biggest supporter to your problem and you can whip it. I know you will get support here. It is a great forum. Lots of educated people!

Hugs

Lildog
    Southern Pride

HEY Mike ,im crazyclearwater, new here,on methadone treatment at a klinik daily,, from using all pan pills, i couldnt stop by myself, its crazy the brain,NOW i fel as tho im fixed alot better than b4, no more exp pills, just my treatment. so to u please do not go to a methadone klinik, they get u n u cant leave,,,,
    so i cleaned up many times n4 treatment,, it took 4-6 days ,yhan im normal ,which i hate so the boardum gets me, (this was the battles i had last year,, ) After the drugs r gone most r in 5-10 days than u hav 2 liv, when payday comes i always gav in,,,, no more,, but its hard to not grt f-ed up fri,(it ws a ritual) it took a il 11, then i wake up 6am sometimes 5am , no alarm!, im 29 so im OLD, N O MADE IT THRU THEDARKNESS N SURVIVED,,

month to b abel to chill, i goto sleep at 9 everynight , rRELY im up to when i started this program in dec 2011,

MIKE TRY N CHILL FIND A COOL BOOK AFTER A FEW WEEKS oF A LIFE CHANGE ,CHAnge your routine,,,
    .U GET USED 2 IT,so stayway from bad ????,, DUDE u can lose all in a split second ,i did , but im free,not a crimenal,,, e all get a 20th chance in life , look at sheen!
    good luk dude,, kman

cowboy bill is offline New Member
    Way Down South where the Wooly-Boogers live

Hi Mike my name is Bill or Cowboy as some call me, I am 52 yrs old and like you have numerous things wrong with the old body. I've lived a pretty rough life and have worked very hard jobs and it finally took its toll on me. Ihave 8 herniated discs in my back that cannot be operated on without paralizing me for life hip and knee operations that all failed, so I know what pain is all about. I also know what it is to take prescribed pain meds from hydros to 80 mg oxys, morphine, fentanyl patches. you name it and I've had it prescribed to me not to count the valium I took for muscle relaxer and stress. I know where your at, dont lose your wife and baby or babies to drugs its not worth that. I don;t know if you have to but I will be on some type of pain relief for the rest of my life not by my choice, but you can get it under control and live a happy normal life again. Some people on this forum don't like the Methadone clinic's I just happen to like them. I may have a good clinic I don't know, mine cost me 300.00 a month to stay in the program the cost varies in every clinic. Methadone has been great for my pain relief in these ways; once you get your dose to where you are stable mine is 110 mgs per day, start to work on your daily life again. TO ME methadone works on my pain all day and night and has got me to quit taken all the other pain relivers that is two plusses there. people that really know me say they have really seen a big difference in the way I get around, my attitude, my daily life, my loving wife and my babies. Is it worth it? you DAMN RIGHT IT IS. When my 5 yr. old son came to me and said daddy I like you the way you are now, bub my heart hit the floor. While I was taking the pills one day having plenty and the next day jones'n your butt off I will have to say I WAS A COMPLETE BUTTHOLE. I AM FROM MISSOURI southern born rebel to the bone and one hardheaded som-buck so believe me when I say it took alot for me to admitt 1st. I was an addict and 2nd I was a major butthead, and being 52 yrs old kinda set in my ways!!! the clinic has done alot for Me it might not be for everyone but has done wonders for me..... Now understand Methadone is probably one of the most addictive drugs on the market and hard to get off of if you want off of it. they have suboxone or subs as people call it to help get off of it. Talking to people who have went to rehab centers is a bad scene I guess depending on the center, but all the people I Know that have used the centers said they pretty much give you a cot and a rag to wipe the sweat and thats it including no phone or family contact for a while to me that pouring salt in the wound. I'm saying give it a shot, talk to others on this forum that have been there and see how they liked it or disliked it, All I know is the mehtadone clinic saved my life and my marriage and family I would reccomend it, but as you know medications work different for different people. With the clinic you have counslors you have to talk to and very very very few have ever had a withdrawl of any kind so you have to talk to the other patients also and see how they are doing with the program. I've been taking prescription meds for 20 + yrs. I'm by no means an expert but I've been in your shoes and I'm still wearing them and above all I care and I like to talk to others and hope I can help someone. God gives us a brain to use for his glory and he will help you. If he can help me he can help anybody. Hope I've helped you, keep in touch and keep your hopes high and your chin up life is still wonderful. Good Luck and God Bless cowboy
    crazyclearwater likes this.

AW21 is offline Junior Member

Hey Mike, I too have just started the CT process mom about 36 hours into it. So far the restless legs have been the worse. I did take a Xanax .5 last night and was able to get some sleep. This forum has shown me tremendous support. We're all here to help each other. I will be praying for you as we'll as myself as we struggle to get our lives back. Hang in there!

cowboy that post is straight up true,MIKE HES RIGHT, i just gave my opinion, i know it, im learning, n i know i can taper when im ready,jump 2 subs then stop, but not now, its great seeing some1 else here in treatment mmt, i love it as well, im still strugling w/taking illict stuff,,n i found the stuff hat works , in the beggining , i couldnt get high from my pills, but i still ate em for months i got a lil energy only, now xanys made me very tired 4 months i went to bed after 5 hours of workin, no more tv , just slept for months at 120, now 100 n im cool , but stress suks, mdone dosnt fix that, i lost 30 lbs in 60 days, its sucks, i need weight bad.il get it ,laterCC

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyMike View Post
    Hi guys, my drug of choice is precription pain killers (anywhere from tylenol3 to fentanyl, though i havent done that in months) I have basically been taking these drugs for the last 4 years and I have tried to quit before but i have to kick this habbit so it no longer drags me down in my life and i can appreciate the things in life that i may not take full advantage of. I started taking them after i was over prescribed vicodin after i shattered my hip, then directly after that i had apendectomy. I have numerous other problems that other 23 year olds should not have to deal with because of my injuries through out my life. But instead of just using these pills for pain i started taking them to help live with all my daily stressers and the actuall pain. The amount of pills I take is continually going up and I want to make a stop in this. I need my priorities straight and these drugs are not helping me fight towards the dreams i have for myself and my recently pregnant girlfriend. Im not to the point of taking the drugs are the most important thing in the world but they do affect my mood whether depression, anxiety or aggression. I have gone weeks, maybe about a month without taking them before then i relapse worse then i did before. I just want to live the life i need to live so myself and my family can be happy together and not worry about my stupid mistake i made about these drugs. I am ashamed of my self for not only letting down myself but my whole family. I have gone 48 hours cold turkey from not taking any and im hoping this one lasts. I just want to be able to going back to being happy without a substance helping to boost my attitude. If there is anyone else out there that could know of anyway to help me, all help would be appreciated. Thank you guys very much. Hopefully one day I will be able to be the person helping someone recover from their addiction.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Just found this thread, and read through - and noticed you haven't posted again. So how's it going for you? Have you been able to continue with the cold turkey withdrawal and stay clean? I hope you'll return to update us - whether the news is good or bad, you're always welcome here.

I just want to add a couple of things, as I was a bit alarmed by reading the responses here. I work in the field of substance abuse, in a long-term treatment center for women. And I've also been clean and sober for over 9 years, myself. So I certainly know addiction, as well as recovery. I witness withdrawal on a daily basis, and see what works - and what doesn't work.

First off, going inpatient for detox or for treatment is NOT necessarily "cold turkey" withdrawal, unless you request it that way - or go to a non-medical facility. Generally, there are medications that are given to lessen the withdrawal symptoms, ranging from low-dose benzodiazepene drugs to suboxone. No one is going to leave you on a cot with a rag to white-knuckle it!

Second, methadone used to be the "go-to" medication for opiate replacement therapy. But over the years, experience has shown the substance abuse community that methadone is NOT generally the best step for most people. The biggest problem is that the client becomes addicted to the methadone, and has to ultimately detox off from it. And the detox off methadone is far, far worse and more prolonged than any other opiate withdrawal. It is nothing short of hellish.

So, when the only option is opiate replacement therapy, the general approproach these days is with short-term suboxone therapy. A person is inducted on the lowest possible dose, kept on it only for the shortest term to get past the initial withdrawal period, and then tapered off it gradually. If the suboxone is used properly, it has been shown to be VERY effective. But when the suboxone is mis-used, it's another nightmare. The keys to suboxone effectiveness lies in (1) NOT beginning until a person is in full-blown withdrawal, (2) taking the lowest possible dose to relieve the symptoms, and (3) tapering off at a steady, gradual pace (25% reduction every 4 days) as soon as reasonably possible.

My #1 suggestion is cold turkey. There is a Thomas Recipe available on this site, that can provide you with the mens to control some of the withdrawal symtpoms. You CAN succeed with cold turkey withdrawal, either with medication in a short-term detox or without it. Millions of us have done so - and millions continue to do so, without turning to methadone or suboxone. The key to success lies in WANTING to be clean badly enough that we will accept the wisdom and advice of others who have succeeded in recovery before us. The withdrawal period is generally over within 5 days.

At that point, the only long-term method of remaining in recovery that I have seen work is through a 12-step program. Regardless what method you use to initially get clean, the way to stay clean is to get involved in NA or AA as soon as possible. Stopping is the easy part. Staying stopped is the real challenge. These 12-step programs are the key to learning how to navigate life - and all it's stressors - without returning to a drink or a drug. As addicts, the drugs (and booze) were our crutch to deal with difficulties; we need a new way of coping. That is what you learn through these groups.

You have too much in your life that is important to you, to take the chance of risking it all with drug use. As you've already seen, this is a progressive disease. It always gets worse. We need more and more of the drug to gain the same high. We end up with more and more problems as a result. The sooner you stop, the better your life will be. Take advantage of the opportunity now - before you lose the things that matter most to you.

We're here to help - so feel free to post your thoughts.

God bless,
    Ruth

crazyclearwater and Jacqu1234 like this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.