Pregnant and addicted to pain meds: LONG
    ell137 is offline New Member

Default Pregnant and addicted to pain meds: LONG

I'm terrified just typing this out, because I haven't said it to anyone, but i need some support, advice, anything.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant. When I first got pregnant, it was a total surprise (although I have 2 kids so I should know how it happens lol) and I was using any pain pills I could get my hands on. I had an rx for 90 hydro/month, and I'd go through those in a week and a half. I took them during the day for actual pain, but at night I'd take maybe 4 as a recreational thing. Anyway, I stopped when I got pregnant bc I had severe morning sickness and I didn't want anything...I was out as well, and figured no big deal, I can't take them anyway.

By the time I'm about 12 weeks, I begin to get debilitating headaches, and I cannot find anything to help them. I call the doc for help and am surprised, but they offer up hydro. I begin to take it, only a couple a day at first max. Then I find a non doctor source of more pills and I'm taking maybe 4 a day. I call for a refill abotu 2 weeks ago, my doctor calls me personally and says he's not doing any more refills, he didn't realize I was taking so many (as far as they knew, 2 a day), and gave me a # for a neurologist to sort out my headaches.

That hasn't stopped me. I'm currently out except for some tramadol I'd saved from before that I don't want to take bc I think it's worse than vicodin, but I'm actively seeking out more pills. I CANNOT stop myself from taking a couple a day, they just make me feel so much better. I am so depressed and in so much pain from my headaches and hip separation and just tylenol does nothing. I guess I got it into my head that if a doc prescribed them, they MUST not be that harmful, and it's justified now.

SO I don't know where to go. No one knows of the problem, my family knew I had a rx for the headaches but my husband assumed I didn't really take them and I let him think that. I'm terrified this baby is going to be born in withdrawal or something worse will happen, and I'm scared if i tell my OB I still take the pills he won't give me any after my csection or something. I'm just scared. I knew I was addicted before but tried to tell myself it was for pain...well I didn't need the pills my last two pregnancies so I know it's not *just* the pain. I'm addicted and I can't seem to stop it., and I feel horribly guilty for being so selfish, and not sure what to do. I could quit smoking but this somehow is eluding me.

If anyone has had similar experience, I'd love to hear it, or any words of encouragement to quit. I'm not stupid (although this post isn't doing a good job of proving that), I do know this isn't good for my baby, so save the lectures...just any words of help are appreciated.
    Thanks for listening.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

i would let the OB know right away that ur taking pills and want to get off. they will make sure the baby is top priority and help u to SAFELY taper down. they will also make sure ur comfortable after the childs birth.

u need the doctors advice with this and u need to inform them immediately. they need to know whats going on and the safety of the unborn child depends on it right now. i wish u the best and pls keep us informed of the outcome.

saddad1 is offline Member

We can ALL relate to you...addiction, no matter where it starts, is addiction nonetheless. My heart goes out to you. I know you must be scared. I too would urge you to talk with your doctors, and your husband if at all possible. I let my problem exist for years while keeping it from everyone dear to me and now that I've come clean to my wife she wants nothing to do with me. I miss my daughter, but I have to own my decision. I hope that you too can do the same. Come clean, be realistic about your addiction and it will make it MUCH easier to move forward with your doctors, your family, and most importantly yourself.

Just being cynical here, but to address your comment about being given meds by the doctor and thinking they must be 'safe' or 'okay'...The medical and pharmaceutical business is HUGE. Again, being a cynic here, but I'm convinced that western medicine is designed to make money and NOT actually help heal people. Doctors and companies get bonuses and incentives for pushing various different products...that includes addictive drugs. Suboxone is in itself a huge business...they push you a pill to make you feel better even though it doesn't really help solve any of your issues, just masks them. Then you get strung out and realize you're in danger and it is too late...so you have to use ANOTHER pill to try and get healthy.

Anyway, god bless you and your baby. I pray that you find the strength to move forward in a positive way and get yourself and your baby healthy. If it helps with any kind of perspective...my brother's wife was diagnosed with cancer at about 3 months pregnant and had to undergo a surgery to remove her breast at 7 months pregnant. She had incredible amounts of pain but they doctors were able to work with her to insure that everyone was healthy. Please, I beg you, please be 100% with at LEAST your doctors. They won't hurt you, I swear they'll just help. Ya know what else? You'll feel a whole lot better once you know what you're working with and they develop a plan to handle things properly. This kind of thing happens all the time. Women get pregnant with any number of issues that could threaten the child, it is nothing new to the doctors. They will help you cope with this physically, mentally, emotionally and make sure you and your baby are safe throughout it. God bless! Make sure you give that baby a very special name

Greasebomb is offline New Member

Please do not take the tramadol while pregnant..causes birth defects. Talk to your OB and be honest! Baby has to come first..this is something you dont get to be selfish about.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Don't risk it. I speak from experience. The mental anguish of constantly wondering about the baby's health and risking the baby's health in itself are not worth it. I took all kinds of meds when I was pregnant with my daughter including hydrocodone, which I abused; and I still to this day beat myself up for it. Even though she seemingly was not affected by it, I know I was very lucky. I was on my best behavior during my 2nd pregnancy and now I am constantly riddled with guilt that I could take care of myself when I carried my son, but not my daughter. Sounds foolish, but really --- the guilt hurts my heart. Talk to a Doctor right away and tell them the truth so they can help you. Also, in this State, if your baby tests positive for an addictive substance and shows signs of WD, you can be charged with neglect and will be investigated by DCYF. Not worth it. That is also very stressful and upsetting. Please get help for you and your baby.
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

lust is offline New Member

You need to be worried about them taking your baby away. I was addicted to pain pills before i fell pregnant and i managed to stop cold turkey. Goodluck..