Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Please help!!!! Have a question about a my huge problem!!!!
    Michael.S is offline New Member

Default Please help!!!! Have a question about a my huge problem!!!!

Ok so I've been off of painkillers for 14 days, I have my surgery in 2 days for my back. They told me that I will most likely need painkillers for atleast a few days, will I go back into withdrawal if I take even 1 painkiller at this point? Really freaking out here, any help asap would help so much!!!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.S View Post
    Ok so I've been off of painkillers for 14 days, I have my surgery in 2 days for my back. They told me that I will most likely need painkillers for atleast a few days, will I go back into withdrawal if I take even 1 painkiller at this point? Really freaking out here, any help asap would help so much!!!

Michael ..... Unless you're a LOT tougher than me you can't do a back surgery without pain medication! That isn't even realistic. But what you can do is use pain medication while in the hospital, but when you go home STOP IT and switch to something non-narcotic. Explain the situation to the surgeon and tell him you've got to have something else when you go home. If you do that you'll be okay. I'm here and will be here when your surgery is over. Remember "most likely" doesn't mean that you HAVE to take them. Tell the dr you're a recovering addict and that you can't risk it. It's plain and simple. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-22-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ok so if they give me something in the hospital I won't jump right back to day one of withdrawals? Maybe I should try and wait a little while longer to do the surgery, I can't sleep because I'm worrying so much about all of this. I did tell my doctor that I was addicted to pain medication. I would rather wait if I'm going to just jump back into withdrawal after using pain meds for a few days. Ugh this is driving me crazy!!!! Thank you for being here for me Robert!!

shawn156 is offline Member

If it worries you that you will become addicted again,you could try to tell them you want a very small amount to take home and get through a few days of pain and then stop.
    I don't know your history with pain meds or if you were buying them off the street or not.If you weren't buying them the illegal way and think you can handle just 2- days of being on them then I would do that.Back surgery or any surgery really is painful and doing it without pain meds would be a struggle and one you may regret.
    Another idea would be to talk to your Dr and see if you can stay a few extra days in the hospital so that you don't go home with any and don't have to worry about it. It's a very tough call either way you go with it.
    Good luck and hope the surgery takes care of the pain.

Michael ... let me know what you decide to do either way. If you don't need the back surgery right now I probably wouldn't do it. That has to be your decision along with the dr. But since you've told him you're in recovery, and only for a short time, he should understand that you don't want to mess that up. Ask him for alternative pain meds that are not narcotic, AND DON'T fall for it if he suggests tramadol. I would rather see you on regular opiates and us have to deal with them. But again, I've had lots of surgeries and I never had any of them unless it was absolutely necessary. God bless.
    luvy298 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

My opiate use consisted of 5 or 6 years with 21 days clean in between. I was prescribed and bought off the streets. towards the end I was on methadone for 2 years, traded that addiction from kratom, then kratom for painkillers once it became illegal in IN. I asked my doctor to stop writing scrips for the pain meds then did a 5 day 8mg sub detox. I'm 15 days clean. I talked to my dr this morning and he told me that I need to go into surgery asap. He is going to call me back to see about getting the appt changed considering its 1 day away.

Ok lol just got the call, I can wait to have the surgery. Told the doc I was doing the insanity workout as well. Asked me if I thought that was smart considering I'm supposed to be going into surgery. I really think I'm gonna try a different route with this back problem, so many horror stories involved with neurologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.S View Post
    Ok lol just got the call, I can wait to have the surgery. Told the doc I was doing the insanity workout as well. Asked me if I thought that was smart considering I'm supposed to be going into surgery. I really think I'm gonna try a different route with this back problem, so many horror stories involved with neurologist.

I've had lots of sports injury surgeries and always put them off as long as I could. Had my body cut on all over the place. Had five knee operations alone plus others!

If you can do the insanity workout you're not THAT bad it would seem to me that you can't at least postpone surgery so this sounds like you're making sense to me. Strengthening your core with that workout will strengthen your back immensely. Go for it if you can do it.

Don't know your surgeon, I'm not bad mouthing him, but a surgeon gets paid when he does surgery! Makes sense to me that he has to do surgery on you or you serve no purpose to him, especially if you're able to do that kind of workout and he is wanting to operate. That makes me skeptical! I would stick with getting clean for now! God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-23-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    surfdog likes this.

Eriam is offline New Member

Michael altho addiction is a disease,there is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependance! If you are having surgery you will NEED pain killers. Do advice your MD of your propensity to addiction (if you were in fact addicted? Or just faced a dependance nd thus the physical withdrawal of your pain meds!) The most important thing is to RECOGNIZE the difference if you have pain and take your prescribed medication as ordered ONLY when you have pain, then your MD can help taper you down when your pain lessens. If however you find yourself taking a dose "just because 4 or 6 or 8 hrs have passed despite not having pain......taking more than the prescribed amount or in the absence of pain then you may be getting in trouble. RECOGNIZE this difference and you will NOT become "addicted" again! Everything and Anything can be harmful when not used for purpose intented! There IS a REASON and PLACE for narcotic analgesia. Please do NOT FEAR, pain CONTROL! If you are in pain and you take a PRESCRIBED medication FOLLOW the directions and DO NOT EXCEED the doses you should be okay. If you take ANYTHING even food or water JUST Because its there, when you are NOT hungry THEN you WILL get fat and suffer consequences! That does not mean however, that you must NEVER eat!!!! So relax, make your MD aware of your fear, FOLLOW the recommended dosages ONLY when in pain and you will be fine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eriam View Post
    Michael altho addiction is a disease,there is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependance! If you are having surgery you will NEED pain killers. Do advice your MD of your propensity to addiction (if you were in fact addicted? Or just faced a dependance nd thus the physical withdrawal of your pain meds!) The most important thing is to RECOGNIZE the difference if you have pain and take your prescribed medication as ordered ONLY when you have pain, then your MD can help taper you down when your pain lessens. If however you find yourself taking a dose "just because 4 or 6 or 8 hrs have passed despite not having pain......taking more than the prescribed amount or in the absence of pain then you may be getting in trouble. RECOGNIZE this difference and you will NOT become "addicted" again! Everything and Anything can be harmful when not used for purpose intented! There IS a REASON and PLACE for narcotic analgesia. Please do NOT FEAR, pain CONTROL! If you are in pain and you take a PRESCRIBED medication FOLLOW the directions and DO NOT EXCEED the doses you should be okay. If you take ANYTHING even food or water JUST Because its there, when you are NOT hungry THEN you WILL get fat and suffer consequences! That does not mean however, that you must NEVER eat!!!! So relax, make your MD aware of your fear, FOLLOW the recommended dosages ONLY when in pain and you will be fine!!!

You need to read the posts. Michael has been honest that he has used 5-6 years with a 21 day period clean during that time. He admits in earlier posts to having bought off the street when he needed to. That is addiction as it's defined, PERIOD! He is doing the "insanity workout" trying to get clean! He is not hurting THAT badly if he can do that workout.

With only days clean he should focus on getting clean and working on his recovery. The surgery can be postponed until he is better able to deal with this. Ask him!

Yes, there is a difference in dependence and addiction but someone doing that kind of workout with his using history needs to place his priorities in their proper order. Kindly read the backup posts before giving advice. I realize you are brand new here. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-29-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Ok so a little update for everyone, I ended up going into surgery, I went out on the lake and got into a boating accident and ended up in surgery 12 hours later, I told my doctor about my problems with pain meds, he gave me 20 vics to take home and that went rather well, only took them when I was in pain, took 2 the first day I was home, and went as long as I could there after, they lasted about 5 days and still have like 3 left that I flushed down the toilet. I took one this morning and that was the end of them for me. Don't know if I'll go into withdrawal or not, I was over a month off the pills when I went under the knife. I'm really worried

bgagnon is offline New Member

withdrawl only comes with exsesive use of the drug, you will not withdrawl, if this helps, find something to do with your mind !! this helps allot and NO you will not withdrawl after a few pills in a couple days !!!

susiewallace is offline New Member

No, you will not start over at day one on the withdrawals. I was clean from vics for a month, but then had to go back on a low dose for a dental surgery. There were no withdrawals at the end of the 2 week supply. I know I was worried that there would be. I only took two 7.5 mgs a day for 2 weeks. I hope that helps.