Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By WhaleTale
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Opiate detox cold turkey.. Here I go.. Any help appreciated
    WhaleTale is offline New Member

Default Opiate detox cold turkey.. Here I go.. Any help appreciated

Hi everyone I'm new here, I have read many of your posts and this seems like a great community.

The story is I am a 23 year old male who has been taking painkillers for about a year now and it is time to stop, cold turkey. I have had various medical issues from broken bones to nerve damage that brought me down this path.. But I have also made mistakes. I have lost my job, my love and myself.

I am addicted but I will overcome this... I hope. I recently have been taking 100 to 120mg of hydrocodone a day. I tooth my last one at 130pm today. I can already begin to feel the WD effects and it is only 1130pm.

I have bought Imodium AD, ibuprofen, multivitamins and some soups. I also have some benzos to help ease the WD symptoms.

I am going to do my best to keep a log of my progress and any tips or comments would be very appreciated. I can't believe it has lead to this.. I just want to be one of the sober, laughing and smiling people. That's why this must be done.

I know I am in for a very rough week.. And I have to admit that I am a little scared

Any awesome feel good movies or tv shows to pass the time while going through this would be great

I hope you all have a wonderful day/night.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WhaleTale View Post
    Hi everyone I'm new here, I have read many of your posts and this seems like a great community.

The story is I am a 23 year old male who has been taking painkillers for about a year now and it is time to stop, cold turkey. I have had various medical issues from broken bones to nerve damage that brought me down this path.. But I have also made mistakes. I have lost my job, my love and myself.

I am addicted but I will overcome this... I hope. I recently have been taking 100 to 120mg of hydrocodone a day. I tooth my last one at 130pm today. I can already begin to feel the WD effects and it is only 1130pm.

I have bought Imodium AD, ibuprofen, multivitamins and some soups. I also have some benzos to help ease the WD symptoms.

I am going to do my best to keep a log of my progress and any tips or comments would be very appreciated. I can't believe it has lead to this.. I just want to be one of the sober, laughing and smiling people. That's why this must be done.

I know I am in for a very rough week.. And I have to admit that I am a little scared

Any awesome feel good movies or tv shows to pass the time while going through this would be great

I hope you all have a wonderful day/night.

I respect you doing this for yourself at 23 and realizing the importance of getting it done. Unless you've used HUGE amounts you will be okay. You'll feel awful for a few days, but at least by day 5 you'll start to feel better a little each day. Tough it up for a few days, then start going for walks or exercise according to your physical condition. That will get your natural endorphines working and will help you feel better.

If you need the imodium AD, which you likely will, get some pedialyte also. You'll become dehydrated and the pedialyte is the best thing for restoring the electrolytes to your system. You'll be amazed how much that will help. It's basically what you would get in an IV in the hospital only this is in a bottle to drink.

Post and let us know how you're doing. You will get lots of support here from others who've done this as well. You've got a few rough days ahead but this is not a big deal for a 23 year old. You're young and your body will bounce back pretty quickly from this. Just stick with it and don't give in! God bless.
    Bean222, disabledleo and Gia727 like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

WhaleTale is offline New Member

Thank you very much for your support. It has been 36 hours and it is rough. I am able to drink water but not much else. I went for a little walk today and have been taking Imodium, ibuprofen, Benadryl and some Valium. I called my mom to tell her what is going on and I couldnt help but cry - which is very unlike me. I havent been able to stomach any food but I took a multivitamin. One step at time.. I hope I can do thIs.
    Ak_Megan likes this.

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Whale,

You CAN and WILL do this! Look at it this way. You have Day 2 almost licked (right? I'm bad about scrolling back up to check dates and on my computer they're never right anyway). That means you are almost 1/2 way thru this ugliness. When I reached my Day 5 it was like an Angel visited me and took away all the aches and RLS. I could hardly believe that it left so suddenly! What I was left with was weakness and thoughts that were on a run-away train. I had alot of thinking to catch up on. We'll talk more about the after detox later. Just get thru this.

Hot baths, heating pads for those aching restless legs were a Godsend. Sleep, well after the second night I just refused to let it frustrate me. It is truly amazing that when your brain is healing from addiction that somehow you are able to successfully function on such a small amount of sleep but you will. It's the frustration and knowing that you ought to be sleeping more. Just let that go. Sleep will return when it's ready to return and not one night sooner.

Use this Forum as a journal. People will offer up hints and most definitely support. Countless cheerleaders here, I promise you!

Peace,

Cat
    Ak_Megan likes this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Anonymous Guest

Hang in there WhaleTale. Cat was right , you can do this. Its a week of Misery and your FREE. I know you are dealing with physical symptoms right now. But good mental thinking while your sick can be very helpful. Try to watch for those little brain zaps that come along around day 3 to 5. The one where you get short bursts of clear thinking again. Like you did ALL the time before narcotics. These things are only a last result for unthinkable pain. Because the addiction is a steep price to pay. If you dont need them for unbearable pain , then keep going forward one day , one hour at a time . Your brain will repair itself and the prize is FREEDOM. Peace
    Ak_Megan likes this.

Ak_Megan is offline New Member

Thumbs up

You can do this!! I quit cold turkey 1 month and 4 days ago, after the physical withdrawals, comes the mental, keep your mind strong, just keep remembering why your doing this. You might not know us, but we are rooting for you!! I wish you the very best of luck!! Oh and loud music helped me a lot when I would get a craving or bad thoughts, I would put my head phones in and turn on my ipod as loud as I could and took my aggression out on cleaning my house.

punkygirl13 is offline New Member

Thanks for sharing your story. i am taking the leap right now and was using about the same as you maybe a little more. i KNOW WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Anonymous Guest

Welcome to Freedom Whaletale . How is it going. Get on here and share if you can . Give us the good or the bad . We are here for you.