Need Hydro Taper Plan HELP!
    overit11 is offline New Member

Default Need Hydro Taper Plan HELP!

Hi Everyone-
    I'm new to this and hoping that someone can help me. I've been taking hydros for approx a year and a half and would say things have gotten out of control the past 6 months. I'm up to 10-12 10mg a day and want to stop/cannot afford to continue... I have two very young children and cannot go cold turkey as I have no one to help me during the day. I have told my husband and he has agreed to hold the pills for me and only give me the amount needed to taper. The problem is - I don't know what plan I should use to minimize withdrawls. I have a little less than 90 pills and would like to not have to get any ever again! Thank you in advance for any help. No one else knows I take them so other than my husband (who has never touched a pain pill) - I don't have any support.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hi! Welcome to the boards! It's great that you husband will help you. The general rule of thumb for tapering is .25% every 4 days. I'd go down to 8 for 4 days, then 6, then either 4 or 5, then three, then 2 then 1. Once you get stable at 1, jump. You have enough hydrocodone to do this, with some to spare if you want to go down to .5 at the end or really stick with the .25 taper. The taper I gave you is a bit more than .25%. Will you have some w/d? probably. Look up the Thomas Recipe and try some of the supplements from that. I wouldn't use any of the benzos on a taper. Let me know what you decide to do and keep posting on your progress! You can do this!

Peace,

Iloerose

overit11 is offline New Member

Thank you so much! I'm so thankful to have a place I can actually admit to this!! Wish me luck!!!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Keep posting, venting, whatever. I wish you luck! YOU CAN SUCCEED AT THIS!

Iloerose

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear Overit,

A couple things came to mind for me, reading along. First off, you have to make it very, very clear to hubby that he should never give in on this taper plan. And - he MUST hide the bottle in the most devious, secret spot that he can imagine. Unfortunately, given the nature of addiction, as we begin to taper down on our drugs, we panic. And when that happens, we're likely to go searching for the bottle - or start manipulating the person in charge of dispensing the pills. So talk to him NOW - before you feel tempted - and make it clear just how firm he must be about this.

Second, and equally important - don't try to do this without support. NA, AA or CR (Celebrate Recovery) are 12-step programs that are designed for us, as addicts, to find our way back to a normal way of life. While we're using drugs, we are numbing ourselves from normal emotions, and relying on the drugs to cope with life. When we stop, we're often in for a rude awakening, trying to cope again. The 12 step programs are the roadmap back to healthy coping skills. It also leads us through the process of identifying the underlying issues that led us into addiction. In addition, it helps us to heal the damage we've done - to our loved ones and to ourselves. I can not begin to tell you how much you will gain by utilizing one or more of these programs.

Easy to find meetings:

AA http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash
    NA http://www.na.org/
    CR http://www.celebraterecovery.com/

If you're uneasy about being seen at a meeting, try some out of town meetings. But keep in mind, it is an anonymous program, so anyone attending is expected to keep "our secret" - we are allowed to attend confidentially. Besides, whoever you see there - has the same issue. So there's no sense of shame.

I'll be praying for you....

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.