Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By briannaluv
methadone detox
    SubSandwich is offline New Member

Default methadone detox

Hello there, my name is Gayle and I have been on methadone for 7 years for chronic pain. I have never "used" drugs, I took them because I had unbearable chronic pain and the doctor ended up putting me on methadone, which, at the time I thought was great because it got rid of my pain. At the most I was on 130mgs, that was 2 years ago and I have been lowering my dose ever since. I am now at 33mgs and I want to just wean off it, I do not want to go the Suboxone route. I am well aware that methadone withdrawals are wicked and I am afraid. Still, my plan is to taper 1mg/week as tolerated. It will take me a long time but I am willing to do it. When I hit 39mgs I felt withdrawal and I was sick for 5 days, so I stayed at that level for 3 weeks then began tapering again. I would like to have people's opinions on what I am doing and any suggestions for help when I get to the lower dosages would be appreciated. Robert, if you are here , I would value your opinion, I have read a lot about you and you sound like such an awesome person. I guess what I really want to know is that by tapering the way I plan to, will my withdrawals be as bad as anyone else going off methadone. I would seem to me that going this route would eliminate some of the really wicked stuff. Any responses would really be appreciated. Thank you .......Gayle

briannaluv is offline New Member

Gayle,Any withdrawal isn't pleasant.I know first hand being an opiate addict for 5 years.Although, what I would encourage you to do ,is to focus on the positive things that withdrawal will allow you to achieve and how it will change your life.Take a piece of paper and write down why you are stopping Methadone.It could be to live healthier,be the best person you can be,be more present in your kids life ect.
    I would then take that piece of paper and tape it up where u can see it every morning when you wake up.When you are at your hardest point in your recovery , run to that list and remind yourself that you are worth living a life drug free and you are strong enough to do this!!!!
    Robert_325 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Gayle .... sure you can do it like you're doing it. That's a long road, I personally think that from where you are the sub route done the proper way is much easier but the end result is what counts. It's your call what you do. I'm here if I can help. I could have you clean including being off the subs in about sixty days if you followed the protocol I've used here for years. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-25-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

SubSandwich is offline New Member

Hi Robert, thanks so much for responding to my post! You have got me thinking! I totally trust you and think you are awesome, but Suboxone scares me, but as I said, I am giving it some thought and will let you know if I choose to go this route, I have been starting to suffer some degree of withdrawal already , even with tapering just one mg/week........All the best, Gayle