Live life without pain medication?
    r3m
    r3m is offline New Member

Default Live life without pain medication?

Hello everyone,

Please help me understand something. For those of you who have taken pain medication (Vicodin, Oxycontin, ect.) the majority of you could say it makes you feel good. I used to be addicted to pain medication a year ago and went cold turkey.

Recently I got a hold of a Oxycodone and it reminded me of how good I felt. I miss the having the energy to do things. I would walk my dog, clean the house, socialize, doing anything felt good. When I'm not on drugs, I just don't feel happy anymore. I sleep in to much. Everything feels like work now... I used to love playing video games and that doesn't entertain me anymore. I just don't understand why the people who quit and went through all that struggle to get clean has to suffer from happiness. What do I have to do to be happy again? Why cant I play video games without being high? Why cant I WANT to walk my dog without being high? Why cant I clean the house without being high?

Has anyone over come this? It's like the craving is always there! It's unfair. I just want to be happy again. I start my first day of work Saturday. Lately I been sleeping for 10-12 hours and I feel like its not enough sleep... I always feel exhausted. I just don't know what to do... All I want is help I'm not withdrawing or anything just craving happiness. Alcohol doesn't even help anymore.

Tomorrow I am going to try to stop smoking cigarettes. I am going to keep in mind if I can stop for good I will feel better and have more energy. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by r3m; 06-01-2012 at 02:30 AM.

shawn156 is offline Member

How long have you been off the pills? I am around 6 weeks clean and still don't have a lot of energy and sleep more then I used to,(which for me is a good thing,I always struggled to sleep)
    I have my days where I do things I want and am happy,but there are days I sit and do nothing whatsoever and feel drained of energy.
    If you have only been off a short time,wait and see how things go.It takes time to heal and feel 100% normal.You may feel ok now but it does and will get better with time.
    I know what you mean by wanting to go back to taking them.It crosses my mind often,mainly because of the pain I feel some days.I always manage to do without and not make the call to the person I used to get them from but it sometimes is a challenge not to. I have kids at home that need me and know all to well what addiction done to my life. I have written some things down to remind myself of what I was like being addicted to pain pills.When the urge gets to much,I look at the list and it's been enough to keep me opiate free this long. I Just have to much to loose.Maybe making a list will help you as well.

r3m
    r3m is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by shawn156 View Post
    How long have you been off the pills? I am around 6 weeks clean and still don't have a lot of energy and sleep more then I used to,(which for me is a good thing,I always struggled to sleep)
    I have my days where I do things I want and am happy,but there are days I sit and do nothing whatsoever and feel drained of energy.
    If you have only been off a short time,wait and see how things go.It takes time to heal and feel 100% normal.You may feel ok now but it does and will get better with time.
    I know what you mean by wanting to go back to taking them.It crosses my mind often,mainly because of the pain I feel some days.I always manage to do without and not make the call to the person I used to get them from but it sometimes is a challenge not to. I have kids at home that need me and know all to well what addiction done to my life. I have written some things down to remind myself of what I was like being addicted to pain pills.When the urge gets to much,I look at the list and it's been enough to keep me opiate free this long. I Just have to much to loose.Maybe making a list will help you as well.
    I understand where you are coming from. It's been so long though. It's been almost 6 months I should be completely clean. It's like this. You experience something that makes you feel good and something that changes you into the person you want to be but when your clean from it your constantly reminded of that feeling (if that makes sense). We are being punished for craving something and we feel no other option but to go back to that drug! People say drugs are an escape from reality! What is reality honestly? This world we live in? Working our ass off to come home not enjoying our self's and going to work the next day? No. Its bull s.hit. Its like I need to figure something out and I can't figure it out...

shawn156 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3m View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. It's been so long though. It's been almost 6 months I should be completely clean. It's like this. You experience something that makes you feel good and something that changes you into the person you want to be but when your clean from it your constantly reminded of that feeling (if that makes sense). We are being punished for craving something and we feel no other option but to go back to that drug! People say drugs are an escape from reality! What is reality honestly? This world we live in? Working our ass off to come home not enjoying our self's and going to work the next day? No. Its bull s.hit. Its like I need to figure something out and I can't figure it out...
    I understand how you feel. Hell I woke up the other morning and thought to myself how big of a piece of ???? I was because I let things go and lost a lot 4 years ago because of my addiction,which only gets worse when I am sober and probably the reason I have relapsed so many times in the past. It's an everyday battle not to go back I will admit that.The temptation is there and yeah I will probably relapse eventually,but for now I am staying clean and making the best of my situation.
    I never can figure out the reality thing and what normal is. I wouldn't say drugs are an escape from reality,they just give us the guts to face what really needs done. The pills make us think we are useless and powerless with out them.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

r3m have you been evaluated for clinical/ major depression, that would be the first thing to do some of the symptoms do sound like it. But see a psychiatrist most pm are not trained and prescribe what is in the office, stay away from xanax if offered.
    The alcohol is just going to make it worse.How much and how often are you drinking and did you start or pickup in quantity after the opiates, Alcohol is a CNS depressant so if you are depressed the alcohol compounds the situation.
    Happiness comes from within we learn to like ourselves, and after years of addiction,and self hate this can take a while. the alcohol questions are important please answer. And have you tried 12 step meetings Surfdog

NoMoreOxy is offline Senior Member

Remember what opiates do. They replace the endorphins that naturally occur in your brain with a more powerful chemical version. Now that these endorphins are gone, you need to find a natural replacement. Are any of you exercising? Strenuous exercise is a great way to accomplish this. It also has been proven to work better than SSRIs at combating depression.

Good luck!

NMO
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-04-2012 at 04:53 PM.