Knee surgery with out opiates possible????
    DonWalt is offline New Member

Default Knee surgery with out opiates possible????

I remember seeing on here once some comments about staying free of opiates, even during surgical procedures. Maybe it was Robert who did that? Others too, surely. Need some help and advice, please. One of my sons has been through the horror of oxycontin addiction. He has been clean for nearly ten months. He had a knee surgery in high school, one of the things that began his love of opiates. He is twenty five now. This same knee is now needing surgery again, mcl. Can he do this without opiates? What would work instead? Advice?

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonWalt View Post
    I remember seeing on here once some comments about staying free of opiates, even during surgical procedures. Maybe it was Robert who did that? Others too, surely. Need some help and advice, please. One of my sons has been through the horror of oxycontin addiction. He has been clean for nearly ten months. He had a knee surgery in high school, one of the things that began his love of opiates. He is twenty five now. This same knee is now needing surgery again, mcl. Can he do this without opiates? What would work instead? Advice?
    Hi Don ..... I was most likely the person you were speaking about as having surgery and taking no narcotics or opiate pain medication for it. I will be glad to give you my opinion on the matter and hopefully your son can do the same. My threads and posts concerning this matter are here on this forum and you can take a look if you so desire.

Yes it can be done, but the person has to keep in mind that the pain is certainly going to be there. I have had 25 knee surgeries over the years and regardless if you take narcotics or any opiates, you are going to be having pain regardless. So if you keep in mind that this pain is going to just be there it will certainly make matters easier in my opinion.

It took me over 35 years to get clean and my thinking was that I wanted to remain clean! I figured that if I got use to taking the narcotic pain medication that goes along with most knee surgeries, that it would be just too tempting to get right back on with it all over again. I just didn't want to take the chance again you know. Your son needs to be in that frame of mind also. It really takes a firm commitment to do, but it certainly can be done. I had my last 5 knee surgeries, which were ALL total knee replacements due to hardware breakage and Staph Infection without the use of any of the mentioned narcotics or opiates whatsoever! Not to boast, but just to show you that it can be done if the patient wants it bad enough! I wanted to remain clean and felt that this was my best chance to do so.

I also took the natural pain supplement D-Phenylalanine. It works on your natural endorphins to stimulate them to achieve greater pain control. It is sometimes hard to find at vitamin and supplement stores, but you can order it from places such as Amazon.com and some other internet sites. I went to my local vitamin store and had them order it for me and now they keep it in stock. More and more people are catching on to it's pain-relieving qualities!

They come for me in 500mg capsules at about $25.00 for a 60 count bottle of them. And it is recommended that the patient takes between 1 and 2 of them per day. I do NOT even need to take them every day now. You should absolutely talk with your doctor before you take any supplements suggested here. Always a good idea! I'm not suggesting that your son do as I did, only telling you my situation. You have to do what's best for him of course. I have tried most every kind and brand of natural and over-the-counter pain medications on the market today and the D-Phen (for short) is the very best of all of them!

Now please make sure you get the D-Phenylalanine only! It is NOT to be confused with L-Phenylalanine, DL-Phenylalanine, or DLPA variety. These are just not the same as the D-Phenylalanine. The others have some pain properties to them, but not as much as the D-Phen itself! I want to wish you guys the very best with the boys upcoming surgery. I hope and Pray that everything works out just fine. If I can be of further help please let me know. Hope this helps. God Bless.....Denny

DonWalt is offline New Member

Thanks so much Denny! I will pass this on to our son. I'm really worried about how he will handle this, but all I can do is arm him with information, encourage, and hope he makes the right choices. He fought so hard to rid himself of his addiction, and I know how easy it would be for him to be right there again. Thanks again for your advice.