• 4 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By almosttoolate
  • 3 Post By almosttoolate
Kicking this for good
    almosttoolate is offline New Member

Default Kicking this for good

Hi all. I found this forum days ago by searching for percocet withdrawal and stubled upon a very long thread and spent the last three days reading it. First of all, I want to thank everyone that contributes. Reading these stories and seeing the support that people have for complete strangers is an absolute testimonial to the goodness in society. I was so amazed that I decided to post myself. Not because I have no one else to talk to, I have a great family that is upset, but very supportive right now.

Quick low down, I started taking percs for lower back pains about 5 years ago. Started w/ 5mg a couple times a day, then moved to 10mg and on and on. For about the last year I have been taking a minimum of 2 30mg percs and most days more (up to 8-10 per day). I can't believe I did this this long. I have a great job, great family, kids, dogs, yada yada. Just got hooked on the high more than anything. Wondered every day where I was going to have to go to find the next pill.

Well last friday night I got a phone call that the bank was going to send our home to foreclosure in 30 days if we didn't get caught up. My wife and I both have great jobs so it won't be a problem catching up quickly, but it also afforded me to be able to spend between $1000 and $2000 a month on these little suckers. So Friday night I decided I had had enough. I took the rest of what I had, 3 30mg percs and figured I'd tough out the pain for the next few days. I was really frightened to say the least. It had been so long w/o them and I was reading all the horror stories. However, I am probably one of the strongest willed people I know. 4 years ago I decided one morning to stop drinking, which I loved to do, and did that day. Have never had a drink since and it never at all bothered me.

Well, I am on day 6 and can honestly say that while this hasn't been fun or comfortable, it really hasn't been that bad.
    The first two days I had general aches and pains and a runny nose. These continued on the second day. All the while I felt in a fog of sorts. No idea what was happening around me or what I should be doing. Monday I returned to work felling ill for sure, but not unable to function so I soldiered through. I can now say that every day is getting noticeably better and better and I haven't felt so good in a long long time. The fog is gone. Still have a bit of pains, but not bad at all. I can't sleep for ????, but have been taking a few Tylenol PM's to help. I never was a good sleeper anyway, so no big deal. And the diarrhea (sp?) is finally subsiding thanks to lots of pepto!!!!

I know this story is just about like any other on here, but I am so proud of myself that I was able to pull through and actually quit this ????. I know that staying clean is the hard part, but honestly the thought of a pill has not crossed my mind since Saturday. Just as when I quit drinking I have never even thought about having another and I wasn't an alcoholic or anything, just didn't want to do it anymore. I even keep beer at my house for my buddies and the thought still never crosses. I think I'll be fine.

One last quick scary note that I hadn't really thought about until this week.... I race a stock car on the weekends (fun hobby) and have for the past few years totally wasted on these pills. Talk about an idiot to put not only yourself in danger, but your fellow competitors as well. Racers have a lot trust in one anothers abilities and I am truly thankful that nothing horrible ever happened b/c of my own selfishness and stupidity.

Well, that's it. I'll try and keep updated as much as a I can. Again, thank you all for your stories and support of one another. There are some really angelic people on this site and I wanted them to know that they helped me immensly!!!!!!

Keep pushing, Keep Praying, Keep Loving!!!!
    Robert_325, Lildog and Leeanne15 like this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

almosttoolate ....... Cool post, that is a great testimony of your strength and courage, not to mention the obligation you made to take care of your family. You never have to use again, but beware of temptation as it will SURELY happen. Be vigilant! If you decide at some point that you can take "JUST ONE" you can hang it up! It's the first pill that gets you, not pill number 100! Once you've become a pickle you can never be a cucumber again! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Lildog is offline Junior Member

Congrats!!!! Love the determination and additude Give yourself a huge pat on the back!!

Hugs
    Lildog

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    almosttoolate ....... Cool post, that is a great testimony of your strength and courage, not to mention the obligation you made to take care of your family. You never have to use again, but beware of temptation as it will SURELY happen. Be vigilant! If you decide at some point that you can take "JUST ONE" you can hang it up! It's the first pill that gets you, not pill number 100! Once you've become a pickle you can never be a cucumber again! God bless.
    Mr Robert~ Love the Pickle cumcumber one!! I am going to remember that one!
    Lildog

Thank you both for the encouragement. It helps to hear from others that have dealt w/ the same demon at one time or another.

Robert, you are one of the original posters in the thread I spoke of above. Amazing your devotion to this site and supporting people to stay strong and drug free. I have no doubt in my mind that temptation will rise its ugly head at one time or another, but strong will and determination will have to stay in the forefront at all times. My entire life I was ignorant enough to despise those who were drug users, abusers and addicts and here I am, turned into one. Well, not any more. Too much to lose and too many people to disappoint again. I'm very fortuniate to have the blessings of my church, family and friends and will hang on to that w/ all I have.

Again, thank you for your dedication to this site b/c I'm most positive that I'm not the only one you've sent much needed encouragement to!!!! God has a nice place saved for you for sure!!!!!
    Robert_325 likes this.

Perhaps the most embarrassing part of all this is my wife and I have worked so hard to have the things we have and live the life we live. We both had over 780 scores and had never missed or been late on a payment in our entire lives until the past three months. It just simply blows me away how these retarded little pills can put a hook in your side and make you forget all reality Oh well, let by gones be by gones and trudge forward.

CRAZY, I'm just setting here listening to my IPOD (first time in a long time as I was never really motivated). Robert Tepper "No Easy Way Out" comes on. It's from one of the Rocky movies (4 I think) explans all our situations to a tee!!! Should be some sort of forum anthem. Unbelieveable the connection this song has to these particular situations. WOW
    Robert_325 likes this.

Well day 6 has come and gone. Now well into day 7 and honestly feeling as great as I have in a long time. Lots more energy today and finally slept good last night (9-3:30). Out in my shop working on my race car to get ready for the weekend. Again I want to thank everyone here for listening and sharing their stories for others. Ya'll are an inspiration and a huge high-five for humanity!!!!

For all those battling and fearing the worst - my suggestion is definitely take the dive. The calm after the storm is AWESOME and you'll be so proud of yourself!!!!

All have a blessed day

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Good on ya man tough but you made it through congrats Dog

Thanks Surf, it feels pretty great to be where I am. Onward!!!

Scum-man - I will pray for you bud. Humanity takes all kinds and you, unfortunately are one of them we have to tolerate. Good luck in life bud!!!!
    Robert_325 likes this.

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

That post needs to be removed! Scum-man you may be sunk in self-loathing, but you don't have the right to bring this to someone else's thread.

Almost: Good for you getting off the pills. Not easy to do, or to stay clean. Best of luck to you!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by iloerose; 10-06-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Late don't pay no mind to the Scum Post ( only thing he got right was his name ) You keep doing great like you are! Real proud of ya! Keep listening to the tunes too!

Hugs
    Lildog

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Late some do not belong in the gene pool Dog

The persons post is gone. I reported to mod. That stuff is stuff we just don't need here.
    Almost Hope you are doing well.

WORD-DOG.

iloerose

Mirabellesmom is offline Member

wow, congrats on your continuing effort to stay clean and i truly hope everything is going well for you and that you are now on track to getting your life back!

i'm on that same path myself, just getting there a different way! (no c/t for me, this time i'm trying a taper)
    The support and love shown here has really kept me on track, helped take away some of the fear and loneliness... I have managed to keep myself moving towards my goal, but it hasn't been easy.. Honestly?(and i mean this in the nicest way possible) I'm more than a little bit jealous that you are having such an easy go of it! And i think you are right! If you can handle this like you handled your drinking you will be fine!Just a little advice from someone who is quitting these darn little pills for the (i'm not even sure how many times I have "quit",) hopefully last time, no matter how you convince yourself, it will never be ok for you to just take a few 'to help with this one thing'... your mind WILL play tricks on you! it will say things like "there is no way a few of these pills could really hurt me! I was takin 8-10 a day! THATS abuse... this is just medicating" once you let yourself buy into it once, it becomes easier and easier to see them as an aid, then a crutch... then a neccessity... wich is exactly how i got back to where I am now... i thought i could handle it... i thought if i wasnt really taking much and was using it just when i absolutly HAD to, that i wouldn't get addicted again...

I pray that you have put this stuff behind you once and for all and that it never happens, but don't come down on yourself too hard if you ever do relapse.. just, see it for what it is: a symptom of the disease! just keep it together and get back on track! But I'm kinda hoping that sharing my story with you will keep your eyes open to some of the dangers and that you wont have to find out the hard way! Good Luck! I'm so happy to see others staying clean! it gives me hope that one day i will be free of these pills for good...

Thanks for all the support from everyone. I didn't have a lot of time this weekend to jump on here and update. Have been really trying to keep myself busy. It helps w/ the mind straying for sure. I had a great weekend w/ my wife and kids and feel wonderful. Again, the last little lingering effects I have are the sleeplessness. And like I said, not a big thing as I'm not a great sleeper anyway. More of an annoyance than anything. I have also found that stretching helps a ton when my legs, back and arms start aching.

I really can't express to everyone how great it has been to jump on this forum and feel the support that is out there. I feel lucky to have found this site and the great people on it. I also feel lucky that my own w/d symptoms were not nearly as horrid as some and that I have most certainly made it thru the worst of all that. I feel better and better every day and have my mind set that this is the end. Thank you for all your help, it is really appreciated!!!!
    surfdog, iloerose and Robert_325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    As everyone else has said it's the time that you think you can take just one, that it's over. Sooner or later you cross that line. You are a "pickle" now and can never go back. Congratulations! Keep that feeling of feeling "normal" with you. Lord knows, it isn't easy to get there no matter what you do. It may seem you got off easy, but the struggle is still the same: it sux and it's work. Congratulations on your imminent recovery! I'm sooooo proud of you!

Peace,

lloerose

PS: robert if you see this, were t-shirts ever made?
    Last edited by iloerose; 10-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    As everyone else has said it's the time that you think you can take just one, that it's over. Sooner or later you cross that line. You are a "pickle" now and can never go back. Congratulations! Keep that feeling of feeling "normal" with you. Lord knows, it isn't easy to get there no matter what you do. It may seem you got off easy, but the struggle is still the same: it sux and it's work. Congratulations on your imminent recovery! I'm sooooo proud of you!

Peace,

lloerose

Rose .... we were never able to get together on the t shirts. I wish we had done it but people just couldn't get together to get anything done. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post

Peace,

lloerose

Rose,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It is really amazing to me the support that is given on this site. I do realize that I may have gotten off “easy,” but am mindful of the future temptations as well.

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. No one gets off "easy", not totally. Doesn't matter if you w/d for days, it is never an easy battle against the drugs. You have done a good job kicking this stuff. And you deserve the congrats.

Peace,

Iloerose