I want my life back! Tapering Support help needed
    looking4hope is offline New Member

Question I want my life back! Tapering Support help needed

Hi. I am looking for hope. I'm 35 and have been using vicodin for 3 years. I dontt look like an addict or the "stereotyped" version of one. I'm a mom of three kids, great husband, live on a great street in a nice little town. But after a traumatic illness, I suffered from depression, anxiety and anger. At first the pills were for the illness but now even though I still suffer from chrons, I am not taking the V just for pain, I'm really just trying to numb my life. Well I'm sick of it!! Tired of lying, my husband has no idea ive been using more then prescribed. The extra I buy, I put right in my empty pill bottle so he has no clue. Tonight I spent our food money on pills! I feel so ashamed. How did I let this happen?
    Ive decided to try and quit. I cant do CT. I fear the bathroom already some days I'm in there 10x so to be easy on my bowels-taper is better.
    My dosage is between 35-40 mgs a day. I read that 10% a week reduction is good without too many WD symptoms. Has anyone used this method, I could really use a support group. I'm praying that tonight will be the last night of this abuse and tomorrow ill be on a new road to getting better.

looking4hope is offline New Member

Default Day 1

I was able to drop one pill today. Although I am fearful that having the access to take more if I want might interfere with my want to change. It's like feeling that I let myself get to this point where I'm abusing my meds, will I have the WILL to not cave when it gets rough. I am happy that even though I had a hard day with my disease I still stuck to the plan.

Nomrlys is offline New Member

Congrats for posting on here..and wanting to straighten your life out..!! Its funny how your brain will subconsiously deny the fact that the drugs your taking to control your life HAVE DONE JUST THAT..Taken control of your life..
    Now..Im not telling you what to do cause everyones case is different,,I understand that..but If you havent told your spouce or a sibling or a close friend about your problem you really should..I know its hard to even think of but It WILL help you get off these pills in the longrun..The dishonesty is a big part of your problem and believe me I understand that telling someone this comes with a lot of lies attached to it but I would never be where I am today If I didnt tell anyone..I would just keep saying to myself "i really need to stop taking these asap" and then two hours later I would be thinking about when I can meet my dealer..
    Im not saying it cant be done on your own but Its hard enough to shake a habbit like this with a support system,,nevermind behind closed doors..SPECIALLY that you have access to your own pills!
    As for the taper...I was snorting about 40 to 60 mg of Opana a day for a year,,Every-day! SO when I did tell my GF and my sister and my Bro and my Best Friend I instantly cut my dose a day In half..right down to 20 to 25 mg a day..I did that for two weeks straight then I went down to 15 to 17 mg a day for a week (wich was hard at first but a lot of it is in your head,,remember that!! I sat down with my support group one night during that last week of taking Opana and set a date that I would stop taking Opana all together..NOW what I did next saved me from having barely ANY WD symptoms at all..Im talking VERY minimal..I waited untill I was pretty far into the beginning stages of WDs (the only time I went through this) and took 2mg of Suboxin a day for three days,,1mg a day for 3days then just stopped..I waited out the 72 hour halflife of the Suboxin to wear off and thought I would go through some heavy WD symptoms but I had ALMOST NONE...so I took the BARE minimum of Suboxin for ONE week to get me over the WD hump and then I was out from under the fear of WDs and could start working on my mental state...

That worked for me (SO FAR) that was two months ago and Im clean right now as I type this to you so YOU CAN DO IT!! wich ever way you choose just stick with it and be honest with yourself..!! Take yout life back and be proud of it!!

Good luck!!

AlmostHome is offline Junior Member

It sounds like you are in a good mental place, it is not easy, weaning is hard because you have to want it, hang in there, it gets worse, then it gets better. write down the reasons why you want to quit and make sure you read them every time you want to reach for the bottle. When your all done you will realize that you been living in a fog but you dont relize it until you experience the clarity of sobriety.

Good luck to you!