Fenatnyl Taper (hopefully). Please offer advice
    zman2299 is offline New Member

Question Fenatnyl Taper (hopefully). Please offer advice

Hello All. I underwent surgery in early July. I have been on Oxycodone IR30mg as needed for chronic pain for about a year. Because of this I was put on Fentanyl 25mcg/hr. I had to bump up to 50mcg/hr, and then my pain felt controlled. I do feel I need to say that I have Always taken my pain meds AS PRESCRIBED. Now that I have healed from the surgery it is time to come off of he fentanyl. I was told to drop down to 25mcg + 12 mcg. When I did this I felt fine for the first few days and then...BAM. I was so tired that I couldn't get off of the couch. I could sleep for 20 hrs, wake up to eat, and then go back to sleep. I contacted my Dr about this and he said that he believed that since the surgery had healed that I was actually being overmedicated, explaining my fatigue. I am now down to 25 mcg patches, which I have been advised to be on for 2 weeks, and then switch to 12 mcg for two week, and thenn stop completely. I am still extremely tired all of the time. I literally sleep for 20+ hours, with very vivid dreams. Is this a withdrawal symptom, or is my body just catching up on sleep. I occasionally feel anxious, which is normal for me, and it completely goes away after taking .5mg of xanax (I am prescribed 2 mg per day). I guess I just want to know if this is withdrawal?. Is it goin to be worse when dropping to 12 mcg, and ultimately nothing?. I have 10 and 30mg OxyIR for BT, which I havent had to take for a while. Would taking one of these help with the symptoms? Can I switch to just these and taper from there? All I know is that I want off of Fentanyl ASAP. Thanks for any help/advice anyone can provide. I just fell lost, like something is just not right inside, and pretty depressed.
    Thanks again.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Re-post this in the "need to talk" section, it has more traffic and someone with more experience may see it. I do not know the answer to your question, but maybe someone will come on who will advise you. If you keep posting here, I can provide support and I DO wish you the best.

Peace,

Iloerose

zman2299 is offline New Member

Thanks so much! I reposted as suggested. I really appreciate it!

tbaum is offline New Member

zman2299

I started out on (2) 100 mcg Fentanyl Patches....got scared when hospitalized and primary said I was on a LOT of pain meds.....so I ripped one patch off. PM doc was not happy but I had gotten scared....had just switched over from 400 mg Kadian a day (morphine). I have been on the patch for 12 years for a failed surgery to a back and neck injury. I had been on every strength from 50-200.....I took myself down from left over patches from 100 mcg every 2 days to 75, to 50, but then had to go back up to 75.

A few weeks ago I lost my insurance and didn't have the $600 to buy them so had to go COLD TURKEY off 75 mcg every 2 days......it was not enjoyable...but not as unbearable as I thought......tapering down would be a piece of cake.....you can even fold the 12 mcg in fourth so you only get half of it in contact with your skin and put one of those big clear skin patches over it to hold it giving you 6 mcg for a week or two then that would be NOTHING to come off of.......the FEAR of what is going to happen is worse than what really happens.....if I did 75 mcg cold turkey, with w/d symptoms for only 3 days.....you CAN do this!!! GO FOR IT!!!