Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sl0vak88
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By shawn156
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By sl0vak88
Afraid to tell my doctor I am addicted to pain meds, but I am being fo
    sl0vak88 is offline New Member

Default Afraid to tell my doctor I am addicted to pain meds, but I am being fo

I have suffered from chronic pain in my neck and shoulder after four nerves in my neck and shoulder area were permanently damaged. Immediately after I was diagnosed with nerve damage I was put on narcotic pain killers to dull my pain and I have become addicted to percocet. I have decided to check myself into rehab, but for insurance purposes I must get a referral from my doctor, and I am SO scared to admit to my abuse of the medication he has been prescribing me... Can anyone recommend how to go about breaking the news to him, or just words of encouragement for a very terrified young adult that is about to enter rehab? Any help would be much appreciated
    SiriusMoonlight likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

First of all, doctors see this all the time. They understand how dependency on these drugs can run away with you in tow. It's normal to feel like you can't let the drugs go. Doctors understand this thing called addiction and can be very understanding of your predicament. If you really WANT to dump these drugs, it's best to fess up. And it's best to get off of them before the problem becomes worse than it is. Besides your dr. will have ideas for you of how to manage your pain without narcotics. Many people here have willingly dumped their addictive narcotics in favor of managing pain without them. You will get your life back! Another thing is that sometimes the drugs make your pain worse. Your body expects the drug, your body demands relief. There is nothing wrong with telling your dr. you want to try alternatives to narcotics and want off of this drug. You may be surprised how your dr. reacts. Is there a specific reason you're scared? I mean besides the obvious admission that you want off? Don't mean to be nosy, but like I said, simply tell your dr. you don't want to take narcotics at this point and want off. You will get through this! It's a proud day when you admit: I want out!

Iloerose
    sl0vak88 likes this.

iloerose,
    First, I just want to thank you for your advice and your quick reply seeing as I'm going to see my doctor early tomorrow morning. I agree with you in that I should just be straightforward and honest about what's going on, I don't really think there is another option for me at this point. You asked why I am scared to tell my doctor, there are a few reasons I am feeling this way. First and foremost is the initial shame and embarrassment I have felt every time I have admitted to someone that I have a problem and need help (which is only three people). The entire situation is very fresh and although I know I have a problem and have admitted it, it has been hard for me to be completely forth coming about all the details of my addiction, I guess to try and play down how deep I really am into this thing. Another reason I'm scared to confront him is I have no clue how he might react, and Im nervous about being made to feel worse about my addiction. Lastly he has been my pain management provider since I was diagnosed with nerve damage and I know a large amount of trust will be lost in me. As I write all of the reasons I'm scared to tell him, Im realizing they're more superficial than anything, and that none of them are serious enough to keep me from not telling him the whole truth which could risk me getting the referral I desperately need in order to go to rehab. Again, thank you so much for your response, your encouraging words have seriously helped me get the courage to be completely honest with my doctor tomorrow.

Slovak88

shawn156 is offline Member

I would just explain to him that you want off them and why. I done this and my Doctor was more then understanding and helped me get off Vicodin. He didn't dump me as a patient. Most Doctors are willing to help if you want off them,that is what they are there for,to help us when needed. I know it is hard to admit,it took a lot for me to admit it to my Doctor but I done it and feel much better about my choice of doing so.
    He knows that I no longer will take Vicodin and it's in my chart not to prescribe them any longer. I've been off them only a short time but every day gets better. I do suffer from back and neck pain still and yeah it's hard to get around but I feel so free. I take 10mg Flexeril as needed for my neck,which works wonders on it but does nothing for my back.I am hoping it is only phantom pain and will go away soon.
    Good luck with the Doctor and getting clean.You are making a great life changing choice by doing so.You wouldn't believe how much better life is without these little pills.
    sl0vak88 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by sl0vak88 View Post
    I have suffered from chronic pain in my neck and shoulder after four nerves in my neck and shoulder area were permanently damaged. Immediately after I was diagnosed with nerve damage I was put on narcotic pain killers to dull my pain and I have become addicted to percocet. I have decided to check myself into rehab, but for insurance purposes I must get a referral from my doctor, and I am SO scared to admit to my abuse of the medication he has been prescribing me... Can anyone recommend how to go about breaking the news to him, or just words of encouragement for a very terrified young adult that is about to enter rehab? Any help would be much appreciated

Remember that your dr is there to help you not to judge you. Drs know based on what you've been through that you're likely dependent already. The dr will most likely have more respect for you in stepping forward and asking for help rather than trying to blow smoke at him to get more meds. Just do it and get your life back on track. The dr will most likely be one of your biggest supporters. You won't be that dr's first patient who ever became dependent on the medication trust me. Hope that helps. God bless.
    sl0vak88 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert_325,
    Thank you for your words of encouragement, I am actually leaving to go to my appointment in just a few minutes and I'm so glad I checked this post one last time before I went to see my doctor. You, shawn156, and iloerose have made me feel much more confident and far less embarassed/ashamed to confront my doctor today. Although I wish I could skip this step towards starting my recovery process, I am willing to do anything and everything it takes to return to a healthy and drug free life. I will let ya'll know how the appointment goes! Thanks again everyone!
    Robert_325 likes this.

Matt Mandel is offline New Member

Well first, I'm sure you're not the first patient to say that they've become addicted to prescribed meds. I'm sure he heard it so many times before. Just be brave and tell him that you're addicted to pain medication and that you want help. Maybe he can recommend a good rehab facility for you. The first step is trying to stop, the second step is telling someone that you want to quit and that you need help. Go for it! What's the worse that can happen?