Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gia727
Afraid
    Anonymous Guest

Unhappy Afraid

Well this is my 4th year of being on and off opiate pain medication. I've been taking it for sciatic pain. Kaiser started me on vicodin 5/500 and now I'm on my 9th medication. So here's my laundry list...

Vicodin
    Meloxicam (not an opiate, but I still count it in my list of pain meds)
    Flexeril (again not an opiate)
    Norco
    Dilaudid
    Fentanyl
    Percocet
    MS Contin
    Methadone

My doctor prescribed it to me about 3 days ago. I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy because I've been reading up on it and by far I gather the wd's from it are THE WORST of all the opiates. I first complained about the MS Contin because of the terrible headaches and severe constipation. So he just decided to switch me to methadone. I want to be pain free. I've already experienced the wd's from Percocet and they are nothing to be played with. There have been 4 separate occasions this year when I ran out of my percocet in 1/2 the time it was supposed to last me and I thought I was going to die. I told my doctor about it and he decided it was best to be put on a long acting medication (the MS Contin). I don't know what to do. The one time i tried to be free of percocet, it took me about a month and an ungodly amount of advil to do it. Then my stomach became a wreck and I couldn't hack the back pain anymore. I'm just so depressed. I need it for my back but why do i feel so ashamed about it? I don't want to spend the rest of my life gobbling these pills like skittles to be normal. Should I ask my doc if surgery is an option for me? I just don't know what to do anymore.

Anonymous Guest

Default What I'm on now..

Ms Contin 30mg po 2x qday. I've been off the percocet for 7 days. I'm playing with the idea of tapering to :

15mg po 2x qday for one week
    15mg po 1x qday for one week
    quitting time.

Think I've decided to just not go with the methadone at all. If I do need them, then I'll give my meds to my husband and have him give them to me instead. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesdaygirl View Post
    Well this is my 4th year of being on and off opiate pain medication. I've been taking it for sciatic pain. Kaiser started me on vicodin 5/500 and now I'm on my 9th medication. So here's my laundry list...

Vicodin
    Norco
    Dilaudid
    Fentanyl
    Percocet
    MS Contin
    Methadone

My doctor prescribed it to me about 3 days ago. I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy because I've been reading up on it and by far I gather the wd's from it are THE WORST of all the opiates. I first complained about the MS Contin because of the terrible headaches and severe constipation. So he just decided to switch me to methadone. I want to be pain free. I've already experienced the wd's from Percocet and they are nothing to be played with. There have been 4 separate occasions this year when I ran out of my percocet in 1/2 the time it was supposed to last me and I thought I was going to die. I told my doctor about it and he decided it was best to be put on a long acting medication (the MS Contin). I don't know what to do. The one time i tried to be free of percocet, it took me about a month and an ungodly amount of advil to do it. Then my stomach became a wreck and I couldn't hack the back pain anymore. I'm just so depressed. I need it for my back but why do i feel so ashamed about it? I don't want to spend the rest of my life gobbling these pills like skittles to be normal. Should I ask my doc if surgery is an option for me? I just don't know what to do anymore.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Just a comment. I used to take over 100 pills a day and used opiates for 35 years. That is an insane list of medications to be taking at once even for a burn out like me!. My Goodness!!! Not judging you but I can hardly believe a competent dr would give you all that garbage. Hope things go well for you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Gia727 is offline New Member

I totally agree with Robert_325, especially with the methadone on top of that, I have experience with Methadone and I honestly could not get off of it by myself, I had to resort to Suboxone after the weeks of insomnia when I got down to 1mg methadone. I personally, One pain medicine should be all your need if you HAVE to have a pain med. I know from talking with many friends who was once in your shoes told me that you feel in worse pain, pain that is so bad, when you are on many pain meds at once, when they got completely off the pain meds, detoxed and all, the real pain they felt was "nothing" compared to the pain that was created from all of those pills. I hope the best for you, and hope you get it figured out.
    Robert_325 likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Gia727 View Post
    I totally agree with Robert_325, especially with the methadone on top of that, I have experience with Methadone and I honestly could not get off of it by myself, I had to resort to Suboxone after the weeks of insomnia when I got down to 1mg methadone. I personally, One pain medicine should be all your need if you HAVE to have a pain med. I know from talking with many friends who was once in your shoes told me that you feel in worse pain, pain that is so bad, when you are on many pain meds at once, when they got completely off the pain meds, detoxed and all, the real pain they felt was "nothing" compared to the pain that was created from all of those pills. I hope the best for you, and hope you get it figured out.

Gia .... you are SOOO right! Addiction itself is much more painful than most any injury or illness. That is a fact! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

nobby02 is offline Member

I didn't get the post to mean that the person was taking them all at once, just giving a list of what had been tried. I could be wrong though, that wouldn't be unusual.

cryin out is offline Member

It has taken me about a month to not feel much pain. My use this time started with chronic pain. I was pretty scared when I made my decision to stop but found that my body worked through that pain. My situtation is not yours, but I was in more pain while taking opiates, than now and sometime in the year and half on the opiates, my body probably worked out my pain problem and I did not even know.

I took a good look at acupuncture and chiropractic, but this week I have not even needed excedrin. I am just sharing this because of my personal experience.

Methadone was one bad boy I did not want to take for the reasons you share and countless others here that struggle so hard to get off that drug. I hope you can figure out what is best for you and move forward. I know pain well, I could not even walk for quite awhile as my pelvis goes haywire, and as that pain continued many months every day I began pain meds. got addicted and did not like who I had become and got so outta control. To me, that was where I had to make a choice, and I have a choice today, and today I will not use I am going to a movie instead...lol. Best wishes

Izzn is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

Vicodin
    Norco
    Dilaudid
    Fentanyl
    Percocet
    MS Contin
    Methadone

I am pretty stunned that your doc writes an Rx for methadone and sends you home. At some point, with confusing meds going on, you not feeling well at all, and now another new powerful med... I mean, is being admitted to the hospital an option? Not for rehab, but for proper medical initiation of the methadone (called titration). If you have Kaiser, then you have insurance (I dont have any), but if nothing else, in a hospital you would get the input of other docs and support of nurses while you do this new med. Please post back and let us know how you are?