Teva white oval 9324 oxycodone O.C. generic info
    Palmer is offline New Member

Default Teva white oval 9324 oxycodone O.C. generic info

Well, since I used to work for a hospice - writing newsletters to both patients and physicians concerning the latest techniques and medicines in pain managment - all my friends consider me a "walking talking PDR." And so I depend on you guys. A friend who has had most of his spine "rebuilt" due to a roofing accident recently had his prescription for generic Oxycontin refilled with the above described tablets. Previously the generic provided was a round smaller tablet with ABC on one side and 10 on the other.

While he finds that these Israeli produced generics meet his pain management needs he basically wants to know why they are about three times the volume of the other generics he has been on for the past three years. I've checked the Teva website and find the announcement that they gained FDA approval for these tablets in December of 2005 but I can't find a description of the inert ingredients which must be the main difference - my physical PDR is from 2003 and much too old to include these. Does anyone know, or can anyone provide a link, to a complete ingredients list? Luckily he doesn't seem to have any allergic reaction to these but somehow I would think that for safety's sake this would be supplied by the pharmacy when not only the brand of medicine is changed but obviously the contents due to the greater bulk.

Thanks for all help from me and Brent.

Rawoody is offline Platinum Member

Not an exact comparison I know , but here's what I found for 80 mg Teva vs Purdue inactives:

Teva :
    Each tablet contains 80 mg of oxycodone hydrochloride. In addition, each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, FD&C blue #2 indigo carmine lake, hypromellose (2208, 100M), iron oxide yellow, lactose anhydrous, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Purdue:
    The tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: ammonio methacrylate copolymer, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol 400, povidone, sodium hydroxide, sorbic acid, stearyl alcohol, talc, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.
    The 80 mg tablets also contain: FD&C blue No. 2, hydroxypropyl cellulose, and yellow iron oxide.

No amounts are given. However, inactives can vary up to +/- 20 % in amounts (not to mention substitutions) and still have an AB rating( as you can see above).

Source:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...nfo.cfm?>>=548

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

Palmer is offline New Member

Thanks Rawoody, more info than I've gotten so far. After leaving out the coloring agents perhaps this describes these tablets.

satch1151 is offline New Member

Ok I have these to and I do not take alot and I do not like the way they mess me up, the relieve the pain fine but I do not like be a zombie can yu safely cut these in half? I read where it says not to crush and so on but what baout cutting in half?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

It will compromise it's time release some, how much, I'm not sure, they're not suppose to be cut, but if the pill is too strong, half would be better then a whole. If you're on 10mg OC, and they're too strong, maybe MS Contin would be a better drug for you.

Ya I am not sure why they would give me such a strong drug for back pain being how I never took this kinda stuff. Maybe I will try half for now till I can get back in to talk to him about it.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    It will compromise it's time release some, how much, I'm not sure, they're not suppose to be cut, but if the pill is too strong, half would be better then a whole. If you're on 10mg OC, and they're too strong, maybe MS Contin would be a better drug for you.
    Is it safe thou? once you cut it, it might brake down to fast? this really stinks my back is killing me but I also do not like the feeling of over the top la la land. If anyone knows for sure about cutting this can you please let me know.

Thanks

kirby is offline Platinum Member

Is it safe thou?
    Personally I don't think it's safe, and I think you are very smart to ask this question.

Here is an excerpt from the BOXED WARNING at the top of the OxyContin prescribing leaflet:

OxyContin TABLETS ARE TO BE SWALLOWED WHOLE AND ARE NOT TO BE BROKEN, CHEWED, OR CRUSHED. TAKING BROKEN, CHEWED, OR CRUSHED OxyContin TABLETS LEADS TO RAPID RELEASE AND ABSORPTION OF A POTENTIALLY FATAL DOSE OF OXYCODONE.
    Source:

http://www.pharma.com/PI/Prescription/Oxycontin.pdf

I agree with kirby, but if they're only 10mgs whole, taking 5mgs-even if it becomes IR wouldn't be lethal. I would never make that suggestion for an OC above 10mgs. You should ask your doctor though, were not licensed to give that kind of advice.

Thank you, for the advice getting into the docs is a pain sometimes, I am thinking of asking for something else. I do not know alot about drugs lol guess thats why I am here and asking dumb questions but is percocet a less potent drug? I am also worried about adiction to. I know that doctors sometimes just give drugs and do not really think about the long term. I myself do not take anything during the day as I drive for a living so I might take 1 or 2 after I am home so is the adicton factor lower?

Less potent then what? OC? Percocet has the same active ingredient (oxycodone) as Oxycontin, the difference is OC is extended release (ER) and without apap, where as Percocet is immediate release (IR) and contains apap, strength depends on the mg/time. A 10mg Perc will last around 4 hours and feel stronger then a 10mg OC that lasts 8 hours +.
    Addiction or dependence factors (in the context that you ask) depends more on the amount of mg over a 24 hr period, the number of hours apart is negligible in a 24 hour time span. If you can go a couple days or more without a pill then your addiction factor will lower.

Ah ha then a 5 mg Percocet would be something I should ask for then, as I have to go all day without taking something for the pain and I need something by the time I get home to work faster. I think a 10 mg would be to much for me and I do not think I would take more then 1 or 2 at the most a night. So maybe the addiction part might not be as strong. I really do not want to depend on drugs but it seems there are no other options really so the less I can take and be pain free the better for me.

I really apperciate all the advice and I know you are not doctors here but the advice is good and helps me for when I do go back to my doctor and ask.

Oh and if I get a 10 mg braking them in half might not be as bad then since they are a IR instead of ER.