Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scoliosis
  • 1 Post By GEOFF50
Oxycodone VS. Hydromorphone
    Jennifer1984 is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone VS. Hydromorphone

Hello,

Does anyone know which pain killer is stronger in comparison? Any helpful information or personal opinion is greatly appreciated!

Oxycodone 5mg (Percocet) *** versus *** Hydromorphone 4mg (Dilaudid) ---- to keep it on the same playing field, let’s say they were both produced by Mallinckrodt, so the Percocet in question will be the white round pill with “512” on the front and scored on the back; and the Dilaudid will be the white small round pill with “M” on the front and “4” on the back.

With this being said which pill is stronger?

Also, if the Dilaudid is stronger than the Percocet 5mg, would it be stronger then a Percocet 10mg?

Even better, is there any ratio to clarify the potency between the two products? Example: 1mg of Hydromorphone is equal to 2mg of Oxycodone; or vice versa? (This example is in no way fact, as I am just trying to explain my question better.)

More importantly, is Hydromorphone based products considered an opiate? For example, say someone is addicted to Percocet and Vicodin and are unable to find either pill one day, so instead they take a Hydromorphone pill… will they experience any withdraw symptoms? I know there a lot of factors to consider such as how many MGs have they been taking and what is there tolerance etc etc. However, for the sake of this question and example, let’s just say they took enough MGs of hydromorphone that day to be equal to the amount of oxycodone they are used to consuming... so, would they feel any withdraw symptoms? Basically, to reiterate, I am wondering if hydromorphone is in the opiate family?

I know this is a very long winded question(s), and for that I am sorry. However, if anyone has any thoughts or personal opinions on this matter, I’d really like to hear them. If anyone has the answer to these questions, I’d greatly appreciate your help!! Thank you very much everyone! This website is awesome!

~~~ Jennifer ~~~

again, thank you all very much!! Merry Christmas!!

tunafizzle is offline Member

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer1984 View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know which pain killer is stronger in comparison? Any helpful information or personal opinion is greatly appreciated!

Oxycodone 5mg (Percocet) *** versus *** Hydromorphone 4mg (Dilaudid) ---- to keep it on the same playing field, let’s say they were both produced by Mallinckrodt, so the Percocet in question will be the white round pill with “512” on the front and scored on the back; and the Dilaudid will be the white small round pill with “M” on the front and “4” on the back.

With this being said which pill is stronger?
    4mg of Hydromorphone/Dilaudid is roughly equal to a little over 10mg of oxycodone

Also, if the Dilaudid is stronger than the Percocet 5mg, would it be stronger then a Percocet 10mg?
    Again yes. 1mg of dilaudid is roughly equal to 2.5mg of oxycodone

Even better, is there any ratio to clarify the potency between the two products? Example: 1mg of Hydromorphone is equal to 2mg of Oxycodone; or vice versa? (This example is in no way fact, as I am just trying to explain my question better.)

1mg hydromorphone=2.67mg oxycodone
    1mg oxycodone= .38mg hydromorphone
    Dilaudid is roughly 2.5x stronger than oxycodone

More importantly, is Hydromorphone based products considered an opiate?
    yes
    For example, say someone is addicted to Percocet and Vicodin and are unable to find either pill one day, so instead they take a Hydromorphone pill… will they experience any withdraw symptoms? I know there a lot of factors to consider such as how many MGs have they been taking and what is there tolerance etc etc. However, for the sake of this question and example, let’s just say they took enough MGs of hydromorphone that day to be equal to the amount of oxycodone they are used to consuming... so, would they feel any withdraw symptoms? Basically, to reiterate, I am wondering if hydromorphone is in the opiate family?
    yes, although Dilaudid is an opiate, it's fallen into (mostly) disuse since the 1970s. But has made somewhat of a comeback in recent years. It has a half life of 2-3 hours, and unlike hydro/oxycodone which are derived from thebaine, hydromorphone is derived directly from morphine and is structurally similar to Opana

I know this is a very long winded question(s), and for that I am sorry. However, if anyone has any thoughts or personal opinions on this matter, I’d really like to hear them. If anyone has the answer to these questions, I’d greatly appreciate your help!! Thank you very much everyone! This website is awesome!

~~~ Jennifer ~~~

again, thank you all very much!! Merry Christmas!!

Hope I managed to answer your question and happy holidays!!

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Tuna nails it except, Dilaudid is an opioid, technically the only opiates are morphine, codeine and >>>>>>.

To answer your other question, taking Dilaudid should help you stay out of w/d.

Thanks Tuna and Cat.

I am not doubting you at all, but in your opinion what do you think is better? I’ve taking both before and I didn’t think a Hydromorphone 4mg was even close to a Perc 10mg. Actually without seeing your response today, if I had a choice between a perc 5mg and a hydro 4mg – I would have taken the P5. obviously I wouldn’t do that now though.

So you like H4 better then P10? In your opinion…

tunafizzle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer1984 View Post
    Thanks Tuna and Cat.

I am not doubting you at all, but in your opinion what do you think is better? I’ve taking both before and I didn’t think a Hydromorphone 4mg was even close to a Perc 10mg. Actually without seeing your response today, if I had a choice between a perc 5mg and a hydro 4mg – I would have taken the P5. obviously I wouldn’t do that now though.

So you like H4 better then P10? In your opinion…
    Hydromorphone has such a short half-life, although it is strong. I think I'd go with a good brand of perc 10 over dilaudid 4mg though.

Honestly it seems to me the stats for hydromorphone are inflated, back when I did pills they didn't do much for me and would always prefer an Oxy, so in my personal opinion and experience I pick the Percocet 10.

They say, compared to morphine, hydromorphone is 4 times stronger, Oxycodone is 1.5-2 times stronger.
    For some reason certain drugs work better for some people, many would make hydrocodone their d.o.c if it didn't have apap and could come in any strength.

Tuna - No i think P10 is way better then the H4! I dont even think it is close, thats why i'm surprised to hear that they are stronger??

Cat - I agree with you. the stats must be inflated.

what do you like better Tuna?

Are H4's safe to bump??

What do you mean bump? Take more? That would depend on how naive you are. If you mean snort, smoke or shoot, I'm not going to say they are. What is bump?

Scoliosis is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down

I just got 3 x 30mg dilaudid / hydromorp contin pills from a friend with a similar problems and was not impressed.

Took 15 mg first, put me to sleep. No pain.

I am afraid to take the big red 30mg , perhaps I will after I eat to see if will help ..

note: current daily dose is @ 3 x 80mg oxy slow release + 30mg Instant Release as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    Honestly it seems to me the stats for hydromorphone are inflated, back when I did pills they didn't do much for me and would always prefer an Oxy, so in my personal opinion and experience I pick the Percocet 10.

They say, compared to morphine, hydromorphone is 4 times stronger, Oxycodone is 1.5-2 times stronger.
    For some reason certain drugs work better for some people, many would make hydrocodone their d.o.c if it didn't have apap and could come in any strength.
    ronbakerman likes this.
    Mild to moderate symmetric disc bulging L3-L4 and L4-L5.
    Mild to moderate left facet joint osteoarthritis L3-L4. Thoracolumbar rotoscoliosis.
    And some more. Not fun. not one bit. At all. I am always hurting.

I do not advocate illicit drug use and understand why so many people who are in pain do bad things, unless you have real chronic pain no matter what or how much you read up on pain the ones with real pain will truly understand why we say what we say and do what we do & resort to the things we do. We have to.

Walk a mile in my shoe and wince in pain, feel your sweaty shirt, forehead moist, grunt, smile and then move on. Life could be worse.

GEOFF50 is offline New Member

Default Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Scoliosis View Post
    I just got 3 x 30mg dilaudid / hydromorp contin pills from a friend with a similar problems and was not impressed.

Took 15 mg first, put me to sleep. No pain.

I am afraid to take the big red 30mg , perhaps I will after I eat to see if will help ..

note: current daily dose is @ 3 x 80mg oxy slow release + 30mg Instant Release as needed.
    Be careful, this is what the state of Ohio IS USING TO EXCUTE Death Row Inmates. I take 2 30mgir oxycodone along with a being on Fentanyl 100mc patch a day. I take one at different times never at the same time for break through pain. Be careful. I have been on both of the drugs above for 10+ years also.
    Last edited by GEOFF50; 01-17-2014 at 02:06 PM.

GEOFF50 is offline New Member

Be careful, this is what the state of Ohio IS USING TO EXCUTE Death Row Inmates. I take 2 30mgir oxycodone along with a being on Fentanyl 100mc patch a day. I take one at different times never at the same time for break through pain. Be careful. I have been on both of the drugs above for 10+ years also.
    ronbakerman likes this.

Faded time is offline Member

Dr.s have a reference, which is also on line, that compares pills. How many milligrams of one is equal to a certain number of milligrams in the other pill.

Hydromorphone is considered to be stronger than oxycodone. That being said, one might work for you while another won't, regardless of strength. For instance, injectable hydromorphone does little for me postsurgically, while injectable meperidine helps. Some of it has to do with body chemistry.

Faded time