identification M367
    julesj is offline New Member

Default identification M367

prescribed hydrocodone 10/325mg generic of norco watson

the pill is white oblong with the imprint M367
    what does the M stand for?

Stallion is offline Senior Member

M367 is generic Norco 10, but it is not manufactured by watson. The M stands for Mallickrodt pharms, a manufacturer of a number of generic narcotics and other meds. They are known for being less effective than other generics or brand names, as many people seem to have a hard time digesting the binders that hold the pill together and getting the full dose of hydro.

Information = Freedom

the barnyard is offline New Member

Angry MALLICKRODT should not make pain medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    M367 is generic Norco 10, but it is not manufactured by watson. The M stands for Mallickrodt pharms, a manufacturer of a number of generic narcotics and other meds. They are known for being less effective than other generics or brand names, as many people seem to have a hard time digesting the binders that hold the pill together and getting the full dose of hydro.

Information = Freedom
    It is a painfull lesson about the Mallickrodt pharms generic Norco. It is as if you were only taking tylenol, there is no reportable indication that thier medicine actually helps reduce the pain that is is prescribed for. I've always had Watson or Quality test brand Norco and they have always helped reduce my pain. Recently and by circumstance I filled my prescription for 10/325 Norco and it was the Mallickrodt manufactured generic. It is useless. The pharmacy would not refund my remaining script nor substitute it for a working brand. My doctor is out of town for a few days and I have no choice but to wait till he returns to see if he will allow me to return the script to him so he can rewrite it and I take it else where to fill. In the meantime I am without relief and wondering if there is any of the correct ingrediants in the medication at all. For now I suffer at the hands of Mallickrodt. If there is anythng that can be done, please advise.
    No remedy in the barnyard.

April2009 is offline New Member

Default Quite by accident, this seems to be confirmed

<"Mallickrodt pharms' generic Norco...is as if you were only taking Tylenol; there is no reportable indication that their medicine actually helps reduce the pain [for which it] is prescribed.>

I was given this generic last time I refilled. During a recent flight home, I took the shortcut of putting them in an unlabeled pill bag--something which I had never done before. After I returned home I somehow confused them with generic caffeine tablets, and labeled them as such. Since I can stomach no caffeinated drinks, I occasionally use a caffeine tablet where others drink coffee or soda.

Shortly afterward, an emergency came up that took a great deal of physical energy to deal with and, over a two-week period, I took a few of these generics, mistakenly believing they were caffeine. There was absolutely no somatic feedback to tell me that they were hydrocodone. Normally I am quite sensitive to hydrocodone and dislike them rather strongly, not only because of the immediate peculiar sensation they cause but also because they cause second-day rebound headache about 90% of the time. During this two-week period, I had no spaciness and no rebound headaches. I was surprised that I had no jitteriness from what I thought were caffeine tablets, but otherwise had no clue that they were otherwise. I was so stressed out and so physically active that I was probably running on natural adrenaline, and so didn't miss the lift from the non-existent caffeine.

barneyb3 is offline New Member

Default Mallickrodt Pharm is worthless

Mallickrap pharm is out for the numbers and is not concerned about quality and performance of their medications. They sell in bulk volume at cheaper prices to pharmacies around the nation (probably world) for cheap. From what i have read, if you have the choice - ask for Watson or Qualitest and the medicine will work as it is designed to. One day we will see Mallickrodt in the news for this.
    Best of luck to all who suffer.
    the Barn Yard

Cats Meow is offline Banned

A lot of people don't like Malli, but their drugs always worked fine for me, Idk why they get such a bad rep.

HurtinginCA is offline New Member

Default Expectations can lead to reality

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    A lot of people don't like Malli, but their drugs always worked fine for me, Idk why they get such a bad rep.
    Mallickrodt uses the exact same ingredients in the same quantities as Watson or anyone else. It costs them essentially the same to make a pill with 10 mgs of hydrocodone as to make one with 5 mg. Their cost is in overhead and the manufacturing process, not the chemicals. They have no motivation whatsoever to cut corners and they don't.

I suspect that when people read comments like the following, someone who appears to be speaking for many, maybe most people who have used the medication, readers expect the pill to be less effective:

** "M367 is generic Norco 10, but it is not manufactured by Watson. They are known for being less effective than other generics or brand names, as many people seem to have a hard time digesting the binders that hold the pill together and getting the full dose of hydro." **

Known by whom? What is the evidence? Without some detail, this comment is worthless, and even then, it's an anecdote, not evidence.

If we expect a pill not to work, surprise, surprise, it often doesn't. We might call this a reverse-placebo effect.

M367 pills are quite powerful pain reliever, but no more nor less so than Watson's 10/325 equivalent.

But, let's find out with some real evidence. Obtain a four day supply of each and do a double blind experiment. Have someone randomly give one or the other, carefully recording which was given, when. The one in pain also needs to rate pain every hour.

After a week, put the two set's of records together. If it is truly, rigorously double blind, I'd bet my... car, the older one, that there is no relationship between the brand of pill and effectiveness.

But, it's an empirical question. An answer derived using this methodology would be two orders of magnitude better than, "many people...."

I hope we'll see several people reporting results.
    Last edited by HurtinginCA; 06-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

I have been prescribed the Watson 10/325's and the M367's here and there, over the years.

I always found the M367 tablets to be as effective but lacking in giving any "happy feelings" as compared to the Watson tablets. I never could understand why until...

I MEASURED a dissolution time of 4 minutes for the Watson tablets and 17 minutes for the Malli' tablets. (In 75F distilled water)

This could account for the PERCEIVED ineffectiveness of the M367 tablets.

The time to c-max is longer and the rate of change slower, with slower dissolving tablets, leading to a "loss of hydrocodone perception." The perception that one "feels" being on a narcotic is not related to the blood plasma concentrations but is related only to the RATE OF CHANGE of those concentrations. If one were to inject (in a hospital setting only, please) some narcotic, the rate of change would be astronomical, leading to a sense of extreme euphoria....and an extreme addiction if done on a regular basis.

Being that I am/was an addict and have chronic pain issues, I have to be EXTREMELY careful with hydrocodone, I see the slower dissolution time and lack of any euphoric sensation as a HUGE plus. I don't want to "feel" anything except analgesia.

PS: I have aspirin sensitive asthma so I cannot take the NSAIDS, I would have an anaphylactoid reaction.
    Peter

applelove is offline New Member

Default This drug is not as good

Quote Originally Posted by HurtinginCA View Post
    Mallickrodt uses the exact same ingredients in the same quantities as Watson or anyone else. It costs them essentially the same to make a pill with 10 mgs of hydrocodone as to make one with 5 mg. Their cost is in overhead and the manufacturing process, not the chemicals. They have no motivation whatsoever to cut corners and they don't.

I suspect that when people read comments like the following, someone who appears to be speaking for many, maybe most people who have used the medication, readers expect the pill to be less effective:

** "M367 is generic Norco 10, but it is not manufactured by Watson. They are known for being less effective than other generics or brand names, as many people seem to have a hard time digesting the binders that hold the pill together and getting the full dose of hydro." **

Known by whom? What is the evidence? Without some detail, this comment is worthless, and even then, it's an anecdote, not evidence.

If we expect a pill not to work, surprise, surprise, it often doesn't. We might call this a reverse-placebo effect.

M367 pills are quite powerful pain reliever, but no more nor less so than Watson's 10/325 equivalent.

But, let's find out with some real evidence. Obtain a four day supply of each and do a double blind experiment. Have someone randomly give one or the other, carefully recording which was given, when. The one in pain also needs to rate pain every hour.

After a week, put the two set's of records together. If it is truly, rigorously double blind, I'd bet my... car, the older one, that there is no relationship between the brand of pill and effectiveness.

But, it's an empirical question. An answer derived using this methodology would be two orders of magnitude better than, "many people...."

I know this is an old thread but I thought I might be able to help anyone who reads this.
    I have been on Norco for 5 years. I am a chronic pain patient. I use to always ask for the generic because they save money and they are all the same...I thought.

Pain management clinics are very strict and they only let you get your refills every X number of days. So you don't abuse your medication. On refill day you should only have a few left form your old bottle.

I moved and started going to a new pharmacy and that is when I received 150 of these white pills. I thought nothing of it. A few days into the bottle I noticed I was taking to many. I was so sad...thinking my condition was getting worse. I still had a few left in my old bottle that I keep in my car for emergency. Well I got stuck staying someplace a night and went back to my generic yellows. Wow the relief was amazing.

It was a hard month for me so I went to talk to my Dr and told him the story and he said this was a common complaint about this brand ant that some of there other generics had been removed from the market.(I think it was percocet but not sure cause this was a year ago)

So I had absolutely no preconceived notions that a pill might not work because they had always worked for 4 years( all the other brands)

So some people may not have a problem with this but I certainly do and my Dr. suggests no one takes it.
    I

nobmanini is offline New Member

Hi there. I have a pretty severe lower back pain due to a degenerated L5 S1 disk and a couple of bulges on 2 higher disk all located in the Lumbar sector. I tried Watson and Mallickrodt and notice they both have quality flaws. Some times they work well and some times they dont. It seems like the mixture consistancy is not always accurate. I would recommend taking the brand name pills if you need it to always work the way its suppose to because thats what i do. If your someone like me and are in severe pain, brand name pills would definitely be my reccomendation. Its alittle pricyer but always does what its design to do.

clburnston is offline New Member

Default pills really aren't worth their weight...

I have just looked this pill up. I got it filled at Walmart. I usually get it at Walgreens and it is a yellow pill. I have been taking it for a couple of days. I've been taking these so long that I don't even get the fuzzy feeling anymore. But with these I don't even get it a little bit.

I looked this up to see if maybe I got switched 7.5's on accident/purpose... but I am finding out that they are inferior pills. I got two months filled in advance so I am not sure what exactly I can do to switch them. If anyone knows, I would be very appreciative!

Quote Originally Posted by HurtinginCA View Post

Chicagoz is offline New Member

Hopefully it was just one left and not dropped from a stash.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.

ricklette is offline New Member

@hurtinginca. not sure if you own shares in mal company or what, but I can assure you, anything with an m on it, is not worth buying because for many people they simply do not work and not due to the power of suggestion that they wont. Ive done several "blind" studies of my own, and each and every m consumed was a total waste of money. pharmacists and physicians alike will tell you that there are many many generics that do not work. often, an MD will write an Rx for the original med and that is exactly what they want dispensed, for the above reasons. I am an RN working in an inpatient setting and I see this on a daily basis. A chronic pain patient, I personally will not leave the pharmacy with anything from this company. But hey, if they work for you, that is great! they just don't for alot of other folks.