how full should a capsule be?
    caldonia is offline New Member

Default how full should a capsule be?

Generally speaking, how much medicine is used to fill a capsule? Does it fill the long end or the short end? Is the size of the capsule used in proportion to the amount of drug used to fill the capsule? I think someone is messing with my meds. How can I tell for sure if I don't know how full the capsule should be? Can someone please tell me how to find out? Thanks

Rawoody is offline Platinum Member

Your best bet would be to ask a pharmacist (not necessarily the one who originally filled the prescription). You can voice your concern that you think your meds are being messed with. A pill can be checked against another pill by the same manufacturer with the same doage. They should weigh nearly the same. AS you can see from the link included, a size 5 pill can contain up to 90 mg of powder. If your prescription is for only 30 mg(including fillersand other inactive ingredients), then that's only 1/3 of the typical fill volumne , so that means it'll only be 30% full.

http://www.capsuleworld.com/capsules.htm

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

So it's a #4 capsule, 20 mg, 1/3 full. What does that mean?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

It is impossible to tell you what that means without knowing what the pill is, the pharmaceutical company that made it,its markings, weight, and its comparison to a known pill, then to be absolutely certain it hasn't been tampered with, the ingredients would have to be analytically tested in a lab. Really though, you would be very safe if it weighs plus or minus somewhere in the .001-.009mg range, but a pharmacist would be the best judge, I'm sure they would be happy to look at it, weight it, and advise you.

Curiously Caldonia, what makes you think your meds are being "messed with".

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

The reason I think they have been messed with is because they aren't as effective all of a sudden. I have a "friend" who has been caught going through my medicine cabinet before and I have been short on prescriptions in the past. She stayed at my house recently and spent a lot of time in my bathroom. The capsules kind of look like they have been tampered with also, the prescription is for Ritilin LA 20.