found a bottle of elixir(?) - yellow
    DocMok is offline New Member

Default found a bottle of elixir(?) - yellow

found a baby bottle filled with some kind of syrup/elixir in son's room. It was kind of weird, what's a 17 year old doing with a baby bottle? It looks like apple juice but the consistency is thicker. Is there any way of identifying the contents just on color or smell? or are there too many of the same?

thanks

dusky1228 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocMok View Post
    found a baby bottle filled with some kind of syrup/elixir in son's room. It was kind of weird, what's a 17 year old doing with a baby bottle? It looks like apple juice but the consistency is thicker. Is there any way of identifying the contents just on color or smell? or are there too many of the same?

thanks
    It could be Triaminic? (Cough syrup)

krakotoa is offline Junior Member

its going to be hard to identify if at all possible. if you could post a picture of it, as well as describe the smell, it might be worth a shot. probably won't be >>'d unless it is one of the liquids that is dispensed regularly.
    Note any information given by me is not intended to replace any medical advice given by a pharmacist, nurse or doctor. As always, you should consult a registered pharmacist, nurse or doctor for any medical concerns about medication and their impact on your health.

joshc1234 is offline New Member

Default prescription cough syrup

it is fairly common for teens and drug users to put prescription cough syrup mixed with juice or sprite into a baby bottle and drink it from that. if i had to guess, i would say that it is verrrry likely that it is a codeine/hydrocodone (opiate) cough syrup either straight from the bottle or mixed with another liquid. i am 19 years old and know quite a few people who actually do this frequently, and it is the only thing i have ever heard of being consumed from a bottle like that.

cherry14 is offline Member

I obviously cannot verify this for sure, but I can tell you that Lortab Elixir (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is yellow. Tylenol with Codeine elixir is orange. Roxicet (oxycodone) elixir is red.

BTW, I'm an RN and we dispense these meds to patients who have surgery on their mouths/throats, and that is how I know the above. Obviously there isn't a way to know for sure, but the color CAN help. They all taste AWFUL, and not like OTC cough syrup.