All you need to know about the side effects of naproxen
    patientsville is offline Banned

Default All you need to know about the side effects of naproxen

Naproxen belongs to the class of drugs, NSAID i.e. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. Such medications are commonly used for treatment of inflammation as in case of arthritis, tendnitis, bursitis and any other inflammatory conditions. It is also used as a pain reliever and antipyretic, and particularly to treat dysmenorrhea. Even though naproxen is used for treatment of various types of diseases, the side effects of naprozen cannot be disregarded.
    The common side effects of naproxen are those which are shared by most of NSAIDs. These include gastritis, acid dyspepsia, peptic ulcer disease and many other GI symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, constipation and asymptomatic increase in the enzyme, liver transaminase. There might be allergic reactions such as a rash and photosensitivity. Headaches, tiredness, giddiness and ringing in the ears also known as tinnitus are quite frequent.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

NSAIDS are not metabolized in the liver, they are metabolized in the kidney and don't affect your liver .... not to be critical. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

lcon926 is offline Junior Member

How about weight gain. Has anyone experienced a problem with that as a side effect? I've been taking 500mg of naproxen for 2 wks now and I have gained 8lbs.???

DzooBaby is offline New Member

I must repectfully disagree Robert. They are metabolised in the liver, almost all drugs are. They are EXCRETED by the kidneys though.
    Naproxen is extensively metabolized in the liver to 6-0-desmethyl naproxen, and both parent and metabolites do not induce metabolizing enzymes. Both naproxen and 6-0-desmethyl naproxen are further metabolized to their respective acylglucuronide conjugated metabolites.

Icon-NSAIDS cause weight gain because they make you retain fluid.