Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
Suboxone - How long does it stay in your system
    pongo64 is offline Member

Robert...just curious as to why the length of time extends the effects of a drug. Seems that the half-life is the half-life, no? I am curious about the science if ya know.

@ alicat...been reading these forums for a while now, the regulars here (the ones that will help) won't judge you or preach. I certainly have no room to judge anyone. Good luck.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by pongo64 View Post
    Robert...just curious as to why the length of time extends the effects of a drug. Seems that the half-life is the half-life, no? I am curious about the science if ya know.

@ alicat...been reading these forums for a while now, the regulars here (the ones that will help) won't judge you or preach. I certainly have no room to judge anyone. Good luck.

The thing with the half life is how compounding all the doses over time affects it. Say your half life on subs is 72 hours for convenience sake, which is fairly typical for subs. In 72 hours half the subs in your system are dissipated. In another 72 hours half the remaining subs are dissipated. In another 72 hours half the subs remaining are dissipated. And so on and so on! It's not a deal where half is gone in 72 hours and the other half gone in the next 72 hours. So over an extended period of time you can have a lot of subs accumulated in your system, especially for those who have been on high doses for a long period of time. Just think about it logically and it will make sense. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

pongo64 is offline Member

Thanks, yes that makes some sense to me....and the reason I stick to programming...lol

Thanks again for the reply.

Cool Need help bad !!

Today is Wensday, I go to the doct. next week on Tues. I have to have suboxone in my system. I have been taking suboxone 8mg/ twice a day for 2 years now, but not exactlly sure how long it stays in your system. Can anyone help me with this.

J14502G is offline New Member

Default Let me help ya out buddy

Quote Originally Posted by eddiee7 View Post
    To all,

I want to stop taking suboxone now. I'm currently taking maybe 1 to 1.5 8-mg tablets a day for about 6 or 7 months. sometimes I go all day with just a half and then at night a quarter. Sometimes just one a day. I do not feel any different either way. My doctor says it's mostly in my head at this point and it would be fine if I wanted to just stop. At most I would feel a little crummy but nowhere near what people could go through when quitting vicodine or oxycontin. I am extremely active in the gym and I run 3-4 miles almost everyday. I just want to be done with the pills. I have not touched a pain killer for almost a year now and have no desire to do so. I was abusing vicodine by taking up to 10 to 12 5/500 a day for about 6 months. And sometimes, about 4-5 lortab a day. Not both at the same time. In the past I have never really had any major withdraws from opiates. My doctor says that may be due to the fact that I am in very good shape and working out and running helps me to handle getting the pills out of my system as opposed to an inactive person. He says that most of what I would have to deal with would be psychological and not physical. I just got a new job and I don't start until the 6th of March. By the way I noticed that it does not show up when getting drug tested as I had to drug test for my job and it did not come up. I thought all opiates would. At any rate, I want to be clean when I start this job. Could someone please tell me what I may experience. when coming off these wonder pills? Thank you all so much and best of luck for all those people out there who are in the same boat. This is my first time reaching out on line. I have no one to talk to about this so I could really use a friend to help me through this difficult time of my life.
    Suboxone will not show up in any drug test unless it is specifically designed to test for suboxone...That being said, I would certainly not just try to go off of subs just cold turkey, you can sometimes use a half of 8m and then a quarter at night because the drug is built up in your system already and you sometimes dont need as much to get the desired effect ie: not feeling like poopy...I would gradually come off of it...start by taking a quarter in the morning and a quarter at night, this way, u dont just take a half in the morning and then later on at night after eating dinner and u start feeling like ???? u dont have anything to take, or dont want to take anyhing. I had been addicted to pain killers, opiates..."oxycontin, oxycodone, tramadol, ultram, methadone, methadose, lortab, vicodin, roxicodone, roxicet, endocet, codeine, tylenol 3, 4, 5, 6, fetanol, and thats just off the top of my head, everything besides >>>>>> and i never used >>>>>>, but i took suboxone for close to 3 years...just gradually come off, quarter in the morning, quarter at night until you can do a quarter for the whole day, dont set a specific day as a goal...like March 6th...i know you want to stop for your new job and i applaud you for this courageous move, you are brave and are an inspiration for many people who come on this website. However, that being said, even though your doctor said you could probably just stop and it is just mental, the fact is, He has never had an opiate addiction, so he really doesnt know ????...you will feel like hell if you do that...your stomach will kill, you will have cold sweats, you wont be able to keep your legs still, ur skin will crawl etc....no good...so if you set a date to stop, your setting yourself up for failure, and if you're anything like me, i make goals and I do not like when they are not met. I have been a drug addict, but not the kind who doesnt get ???? done. I am an avid business owner, 2 companies, and insurance agency and online digital advertising network...I do things, and I know what its like to have goals and want to hit them...so again dont give yourself a specific date because when you dont meet it you will feel worse. Just take it slow and take like i said a day at a time brotha...
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-19-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. Know you are trying to help but the poster of the question you replied to posted one time in early 2008 and has never been back. I doubt you will hear anything from them. Check the dates of the posts so you'll know if they are likely to still be around so you don't waste your time. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Nope2dope is offline New Member

Default New kid on the block

Hello all,

This is my first time posting, or even reading any of these threads, so bear with me!
    Almost 2 years ago, I started taking 10/325 hydrocodones for a back injury. Around the same time, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I continued to take pills after my script ran out (know someone who can obtain them) for about 3 months because they made me feel "happy" and I thought they were helping me deal with my stress (mom's illness, unhappy marriage, raising 2 kids). I decided to just stop, cold turkey, after 4 months. At this point I was taking 10 pills a day. In retrospect, I feel like a complete idiot, because I had NO idea I was "addicted" at this point! I have a freaking college degree, and it never occurred to me I would have withdrawals. Needless to say, I did. I went to my family dr., who basically knew nothing about opiate addiction, so he was of no help. I spent about 8 days in bed, going through w/d's and insomnia. It passed, life went on. 7 months later my mom passed away. I turned back to the pills. Stupid right? So here I am, 9 months later, taking 15-20 pills a day. It was to the point where I hated myself for taking them, but I was so scared to go through w/d's again. So last week, I get online, find a dr. who prescribes Suboxone. I went yesterday, full of anxiety, scared and embarrassed of having to go into detail about what I've been doing with a stranger. Dr. comes in, looks at a form (about 6 questions) I filled out. She asks me if I've ever taken Suboxone before, if I have any allergies, and if I've had any surgeries. And that's it! Bam! She hands me a script for 60 8mg/2mg, and tells me to take 2 a day, them come back in a month and we'll see how I'm doing. That's it! Doesn't talk to me about anything, doesn't ask me if I have any questions. I was just so releived I didn't have to tell my story, and that there seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel that I hightailed it out of there. I ended up on this forum because I typed "how long should I take Suboxone" into Google. Reading through the posts, it seems like alot of you are familiar with this drug, so I'm hoping to get answers to my questions!
    1. Take 2 a day. Ok. When? Morning and night?
    2. How long will I have to stay on this drug?
    3. Will I become addicted to this now?
    4. If I injur myself or have to have surgery in the future, will I be "flagged" and unable to get a prescription for pain meds?
    5. My insurance covered my script, but not my dr. visit. Why? And will my insurance drop me now because I'm an "addict"?

I took one Suboxone this morning, and the other around lunchtime. I feel a little "off" and sweaty, but other than that I feel ok. I was mentally prepared to get off the meds months ago, so I really just want to know when I can/should stop the subs. Thank the lord I never graduated to harder opiates. I am now understanding that addiction is an illness and I'm not kidding myself, I just want to be done with this and move on. I also want to tell anyone who might be reading this that is wanting to get off the opiates, but is scared, to find a dr. for subs and tell someone your close with so you have support. This morning I was scared, but also so optimistic, because I finally feel like the end is in sight. I am now realizing how many people are uninformed about addiction, and it can happen to anyone. If you were to look at me, you'd see an attractive 30 yr. old woman with 2 great kids, beautiful house, handsome husband, great job and nice car. I never thought I would be going through this, putting myself through this. I feel stupid, but I also feel proud that I finally summed up the courage to quit. Anyway, that's my story! Lol! Thanks for any feedback I get

Quote Originally Posted by Nope2dope View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first time posting, or even reading any of these threads, so bear with me!
    Almost 2 years ago, I started taking 10/325 hydrocodones for a back injury. Around the same time, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I continued to take pills after my script ran out (know someone who can obtain them) for about 3 months because they made me feel "happy" and I thought they were helping me deal with my stress (mom's illness, unhappy marriage, raising 2 kids). I decided to just stop, cold turkey, after 4 months. At this point I was taking 10 pills a day. In retrospect, I feel like a complete idiot, because I had NO idea I was "addicted" at this point! I have a freaking college degree, and it never occurred to me I would have withdrawals. Needless to say, I did. I went to my family dr., who basically knew nothing about opiate addiction, so he was of no help. I spent about 8 days in bed, going through w/d's and insomnia. It passed, life went on. 7 months later my mom passed away. I turned back to the pills. Stupid right? So here I am, 9 months later, taking 15-20 pills a day. It was to the point where I hated myself for taking them, but I was so scared to go through w/d's again. So last week, I get online, find a dr. who prescribes Suboxone. I went yesterday, full of anxiety, scared and embarrassed of having to go into detail about what I've been doing with a stranger. Dr. comes in, looks at a form (about 6 questions) I filled out. She asks me if I've ever taken Suboxone before, if I have any allergies, and if I've had any surgeries. And that's it! Bam! She hands me a script for 60 8mg/2mg, and tells me to take 2 a day, them come back in a month and we'll see how I'm doing. That's it! Doesn't talk to me about anything, doesn't ask me if I have any questions. I was just so releived I didn't have to tell my story, and that there seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel that I hightailed it out of there. I ended up on this forum because I typed "how long should I take Suboxone" into Google. Reading through the posts, it seems like alot of you are familiar with this drug, so I'm hoping to get answers to my questions!
    1. Take 2 a day. Ok. When? Morning and night?
    2. How long will I have to stay on this drug?
    3. Will I become addicted to this now?
    4. If I injur myself or have to have surgery in the future, will I be "flagged" and unable to get a prescription for pain meds?
    5. My insurance covered my script, but not my dr. visit. Why? And will my insurance drop me now because I'm an "addict"?

I took one Suboxone this morning, and the other around lunchtime. I feel a little "off" and sweaty, but other than that I feel ok. I was mentally prepared to get off the meds months ago, so I really just want to know when I can/should stop the subs. Thank the lord I never graduated to harder opiates. I am now understanding that addiction is an illness and I'm not kidding myself, I just want to be done with this and move on. I also want to tell anyone who might be reading this that is wanting to get off the opiates, but is scared, to find a dr. for subs and tell someone your close with so you have support. This morning I was scared, but also so optimistic, because I finally feel like the end is in sight. I am now realizing how many people are uninformed about addiction, and it can happen to anyone. If you were to look at me, you'd see an attractive 30 yr. old woman with 2 great kids, beautiful house, handsome husband, great job and nice car. I never thought I would be going through this, putting myself through this. I feel stupid, but I also feel proud that I finally summed up the courage to quit. Anyway, that's my story! Lol! Thanks for any feedback I get

I'll make this short tonight but we'll talk more tomorrow if you want to. Your sub dr has totally screwed you around, just like so many of them do. Please read the following link. This is how I've worked with subs for years here with probably a thousand people before you. READ IT CLOSELY!!!!! If you want me to help you I'll have you totally clean in about sixty days,off the subs too and you'll never have to go back to that dr for anymore medication again. Let me know. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Nope2dope is offline New Member

Default Robert - help me out!

From everything I've read and heard, I thought that sounded like an awfully high dose for me considering I was only taking hydrocodone for less than a year! I don't understand how a dr., someone you trust and your going to for HELP could just throw meds at me and push me out the door! My goal here is to be done with the subs as soon as safely possible. I am willing to take any advice your willing to give! The more I read, the more freaked out I'm getting. I don't want to replace one addiction with another. Considering how I felt when I went cold turkey to how I feel now, subs are a great stepping stone, but that's how I want to treat them. I don't want to be on them for months or years like most of these people. I am going to NA meetings with a friend and have become very involved in my church, so I've got the support I need. Now just tell me how to do it! I took 2 yesterday, and 2 today (read your previous post too late). Where do I go from here? Should I half it tomorrow, or is that too soon? I am totally open to what you would recommend. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nope2dope View Post
    From everything I've read and heard, I thought that sounded like an awfully high dose for me considering I was only taking hydrocodone for less than a year! I don't understand how a dr., someone you trust and your going to for HELP could just throw meds at me and push me out the door! My goal here is to be done with the subs as soon as safely possible. I am willing to take any advice your willing to give! The more I read, the more freaked out I'm getting. I don't want to replace one addiction with another. Considering how I felt when I went cold turkey to how I feel now, subs are a great stepping stone, but that's how I want to treat them. I don't want to be on them for months or years like most of these people. I am going to NA meetings with a friend and have become very involved in my church, so I've got the support I need. Now just tell me how to do it! I took 2 yesterday, and 2 today (read your previous post too late). Where do I go from here? Should I half it tomorrow, or is that too soon? I am totally open to what you would recommend. Thank you so much.

Did you read the link I gave you? Taking two subs a day is totally unnecessary. YOu need to knock that dose down immediately. Drop to 12mg for a couple days, then go to 8mg before you get addicted to the high dose. Then we can start to taper your dose by 25% every four days just like it says in the sub taper therapy link above. Read it closely. Then entire plan from start to finish is on that link. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-26-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Rickie_D is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dave87666 View Post
    Suboxone has a long half life and stays in your system a while..You will NOT catch any "buzz" from the pills(as if they are even strong enough to give one anyway) about all you may get is sick because of the opiate BLOCKER in suboxone...If you take opiates while on suboxone you get pushed into precipitaed withdraws...Let me just tell you that I've been through it,and it sucks...So IMO its not even worth it,or the chance of relapse..

You actually have it backwards. Buprenorphine (NOT Naloxone) is responsible for the blockade effect due to its high binding affinity at the brains opioid receptors. Therefore, the opiate drugs like >>>>>>, morphine, etc. will NOT remove Buprenorphine from the brains receptors and take you into precipitated withdrawals like you said. But, in fact, Buprenorphine WILL remove >>>>>>, morphine etc. from the receptors because it has the highest binding affinity at the ยต- and κ-opioid receptor. So taking Suboxone while >>>>>>/morphine is in your system WILL take you into withdrawal...not the other way around. If you were on Suboxone, and injected >>>>>>, you would not feel anything as the Buprenorphine binds more tightly to receptors than all other opiates.

hookedtoolong is offline New Member

Default Suboxone myth's and truths

I've been on sub for about 4 yrs now. I know, a long time, I'm currently on two 8/2's a day, down from 4 when I started. How long does it stay in your system? It has about a 36 hr half life. How long it actually stay's in your system depends on the dose you take and, to some degree, how long you have been taking it. If you have been a regular user, it can take 10 -14 days to undetectable on a typical urine test. Technically, it stay's in your system longer than that. Again, depends on dose. Contrary to what a lot of bozo's have said, you will not go into withdrawl if you ORALLY take another opiate when you are on suboxone. The naloxone in Suboxone fill's or clogs the opiate receptor's in your brain. Therefore, if you take another painkiller (opiate) when on suboxone, it can't fill that receptor and there is no effect. You just wasted the painkiller, it won't get you buzzed.
    However, if you inject an opiate while on Suboxone, you will trigger withdrawl. That's how the naloxone works. this is not heresay info. This is through my long experience with suboxone and info directly from my Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedtoolong View Post
    I've been on sub for about 4 yrs now. I know, a long time, I'm currently on two 8/2's a day, down from 4 when I started. How long does it stay in your system? It has about a 36 hr half life. How long it actually stay's in your system depends on the dose you take and, to some degree, how long you have been taking it. If you have been a regular user, it can take 10 -14 days to undetectable on a typical urine test. Technically, it stay's in your system longer than that. Again, depends on dose. Contrary to what a lot of bozo's have said, you will not go into withdrawl if you ORALLY take another opiate when you are on suboxone. The naloxone in Suboxone fill's or clogs the opiate receptor's in your brain. Therefore, if you take another painkiller (opiate) when on suboxone, it can't fill that receptor and there is no effect. You just wasted the painkiller, it won't get you buzzed.
    However, if you inject an opiate while on Suboxone, you will trigger withdrawl. That's how the naloxone works. this is not heresay info. This is through my long experience with suboxone and info directly from my Dr.

Your dr is mistaken and sounds like he / she is the bozo. The naloxone is nothing but an added ingredient to buprenorphine in the suboxone to put you into precipitated w/d if you start taking subs before you are in severe w/d, inject it and abuse it. It is the buprenorphine that is the opiate blocker. The naloxone only has a half life of a few hours as it's only needed for a short time if you blow it inducting on the subs too soon or abuse it. Someone is confused here and it sounds like it's your dr.

Subutex is pure buprenorphine and that is the opiate blocker. Buprenorphine has a half life of between 36 and up to 72 hours or longer depending on some variables such as metabolism rate of drugs in your system, fluid intake, activity level, and many other things. It also comes in a generic form and both have no naloxone. So if the naloxone was the opiate blocker subutex and buprenorphine would be worthless. Think about it! Buprenorphine has been used in Europe and other countries without the naloxone for years.

Hope this helps to clear this up for you. God bless.
    shrimpboat 1942 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Default Help

I have a question. I have been on Suboxone for about 2 months. I really didnt use it to come off of anything. BUt i do have scripts for percocet and LT and i just have an addictive personality so i would mch rather take about an 8mg Sub a day and sometimes a 4mg just bevause i dont want to risk taking ANY opiates. I may be starting a new job in January. I am scared about the drug test. Granted i do have a scipt for percocets and if the suboxone came up as an opiate i could just show them my script. Does anyone know what suboxone comes up as in a drug test? some people have told me they have to test specifically for Buprenorphine for it to come up.

Could someone who really knows about this info answer me honestly please. Excuse my spelling and grammer. I am in a huge rush! thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Bean222 View Post
    I have a question. I have been on Suboxone for about 2 months. I really didnt use it to come off of anything. BUt i do have scripts for percocet and LT and i just have an addictive personality so i would mch rather take about an 8mg Sub a day and sometimes a 4mg just bevause i dont want to risk taking ANY opiates. I may be starting a new job in January. I am scared about the drug test. Granted i do have a scipt for percocets and if the suboxone came up as an opiate i could just show them my script. Does anyone know what suboxone comes up as in a drug test? some people have told me they have to test specifically for Buprenorphine for it to come up.

Could someone who really knows about this info answer me honestly please. Excuse my spelling and grammer. I am in a huge rush! thanks so much

They do have to be checking for buprenorphine for it to show up as anything. But subs are so widely abused these days that most employers, pain drs, etc use the larger ten panel test that DOES include the test for buprenorphine. Very few people use a small five panel test anymore. If you get the larger panel test you'll bust the test. And they can tell the level of toxicity as well once they pick up on the buprenorphine being present. It's wise to take only your prescribed meds or you'll eventually get caught and lose your job opportunity. And if your dr finds out he will likely cut you off from your pain meds as well, especially a dr that is prescribing a schedule II narcotic like oxy in percocets. Good luck and God bless.

perscribed meds is offline New Member

Default suboxone

I used one 8mg strip. How long in my system? Thanx. Chronic pain

Quote Originally Posted by perscribed meds View Post
    I used one 8mg strip. How long in my system? Thanx. Chronic pain

Subs are probably one of the most worthless pain medications. It has a half life of up to 72 hours or longer for most people. So it can take several days to be out of your system. God bless.

Mr.H is offline New Member

Default My sentiments exactly

My suboxone usage is pretty similar...I use it for a few days here and there in an "emergency", basically when I got no scrill or my connects dry up for whatever reason. I slam >>>>>>, and tried a shot after havin taken subs for five days, only a half every morning, and it had been about 13hrs since i last took 4mg of suboxone...didn't feel the shot as much as i'd like. but i figure I only need to wait about 24-36 hrs after my last sub dose to feel the H fully. Hey, like you said, that addiction for ya. Too bad the old oxycontin 80s aren't still around. Would never had turned to black tar and gun powder >>>>>> if they hadn't...oh well.. Good luck to all of you out there tryin to actually get clean for good. I guess i'm just not ready. From what I've learned growing up around addicts and alcoholics and AA/NA meetings, as well as seeing some of my best friends nearly die from overdose and come out of their addiction clean and sober, you've gotta hit rock bottom before you're ready to call it quits for good. At least subs exist, think about what >>>>>> addicts back in the day had to deal with. I believe well known author and >>>>>> junkie William S. Burroughs had to shoot up antihistamines in rehab to combat his withdrawals...weird stuff.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.

freebird357 is offline New Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackJack View Post
    I hated Sub..I love methadone its my wonderdrug
    yeah because methadone gets you HIGH , you are not drug free if it helps you sleep at night to say you are than fine but i would not recommend methadone to my worst enemy , everything is gravy now but wait till you get off it.... i was on it for two years they let me get up to 320 mg a day , thats ridiculous no one needs that much than when i came off it i blacked out for a week and dont remember nothing except for severepain ! that should be illegal coming from a drug addict that tried everything in the book, suboxone helps you , makes you want to get better , meth just prolongs the" inebideble, spell check on that not sure" and the reason you dont like sub is cause it didnt get you HIGH!!!!!
    Last edited by freebird357; 01-02-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Doug:5 is offline New Member

Default Need help

I have been taking suboxone for around a year now, to kick a pain pill habit. I only take about 3 or 4 mg a day.. How long till I could pass a probation drug test? What could speed up the system? As far as I know they do now test for bup.

Thanks for the help!

Alexboyle64 is offline New Member

Default Need help

Heyy ive been taking 16mg of suboxon for almost 5 how long will it take for the opiote blockers to be out of my system

deer1 is offline New Member

Default Re: Suboxone - How long

I registered to contribute my experiences with Suboxone (bupenorphine + naloxone), and other narcotics. I've had the most experience with Subs + >>>>>>, but I can also confirm the below to be true for me with morphine and hydrocodone.

I got 2 simultaneous highs from tar: One was physical (i.e. pain reliever), one was mental (i.e. happy, untouchable). Depending on how recently I took Subox, the physical high varied tremendously, while the mental high varied slightly. This means that if I took Subs in the morning, and a dark shot in the evening, I would barely feel the physical high, but it was still worth it to do so because of the mental high, which would only be slightly reduced (5% phys high, 75% mental). I only did this once or twice though, because it was kind of a waste.

If I waited at least a day, and got a good 6-8 hours of sleep AFTER taking Subs, the physical high would be increased greatly (50% phys high, 80% mental). Then after that the longer I waited after I taken the Subs, the better both highs got. After 1 week: 90% phys high, 90% mental). 2 weeks: 95%, 95%. After taking Subs I have NEVER experienced a 100%, 100% >>>>>> high, which I had experienced on a regular basis before taking it.

The above experiences are all about taking narcotics AFTER Subs. As far as taking Subs AFTER narcotics: the longer you wait, the better it works, but I am sure you already know that. I never personally experienced "instant-withdrawal" from the Naloxone in Subs, even if I only waited about 8-10 hours. But I most definitely have had better reductions of withdrawal symptoms the longer I waited to take the Subs. then again I've only ever needed Subs to withdraw from H, which rapidly leaves your body, unlike some other narcotics.

That being said, Suboxone/Subutex/Buphenorphine saved my life (without a doubt).
    dollbabymomma likes this.

deer1 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by freebird357 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutbackJack View Post
    I hated Sub..I love methadone its my wonderdrug
    kteee likes this
    yeah because methadone gets you HIGH , you are not drug free if it helps you sleep at night to say you are than fine but i would not recommend methadone to my worst enemy , everything is gravy now but wait till you get off it...
    Addiction physically changes the brain, regardless of the substance. I agree with you, every person I've talked to who started on Dones first prefers them to Subs, and also has much harder withdrawals on them. But, if you are on either long-term subs (as I am) or dones, the shape of your brain is physically different than if you were not. Not sure if it ever changes back to normal, but for me this means that some things are a lot harder than they used to be (i.e. forcing myself to stop doing things I like doing, and do things I have to do but dont' like doing). Someday I hope it'll be back to normal... I have no idea if it will, though.

For me, Subs are great as they are like anti-depressents, and take away the need I had in the first place to seek out narcotics.

dollbabymomma is offline New Member

Thumbs up Suboxone and methadone

Firs I would like to say I am a healthcare professional and a recovering opiate addict. No two people have the same chemical makeup, therefore some drugs are going to work for others and maybe not for another. I feel Sub is getting some glory and methadone is being slammed for NO valid issue. The two drugs do the same exact thing except that SUB is CIII & done is CII. The reason for this is because of people's perceptions and how these clinics are setup. People can stay on Suboxone for over 2 years, or really for the rest of their lives. Depending on the individual sets the stage to how fast they decide to taper. I think people put methadone down because it tends to be associated with >>>>>> addiction, while Sub is associated with Rx painkillers. I tried to Sub and it did not work well for me. Methadone worked awesome,and with counseling and AA, I was able to come off methadone. The key here is to do what works for you! If you are on Sub and relapsing allover the place, what would it hurt to take methadone instead? Yes, it is frustrating to hear how people compare the two, but it is just ignorance and lack of self experience. As far as people overdosing on methadone, usually it is a polysubstance OD. Methadone is a very long acting drug and extremely synergistic with Benzos. You could OD on Sub too. I guess my point here is the drugs have the same purpose. Also, methadone has years and years of research and studies on it, while subxone only has been around for about 10 years. So, in reality whatever your wonderdrug is, is the one that keeps you clean!
    Last edited by dollbabymomma; 03-23-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: comma splice

Oh and you think Suboxone is not a drug?! It is a controlled substance III, the same as Lortab. I am glad Sub worked so wonderful for you, but it does not work for everybody. The truth of the mattter, the two do the same thing. The way your brain gets better, is for no "highs", so your neurotransmitters can replenish themselves. Methadone can make people better and then when they feel ready, they taper off slowly. I would rather be going slow and steady than flying high for a year, and then have a huge relapse the next year. Time helps more than anything with the mess made from drugs. I would not be so quick to judge others, especially when you do not know what you are talking about! Coming from a medical professional and recovering addict.

Default Respone to Freebird Flying high. (Right Now) anyway

Quote Originally Posted by dollbabymomma View Post
    Firs I would like to say I am a healthcare professional and a recovering opiate addict. No two people have the same chemical makeup, therefore some drugs are going to work for others and maybe not for another. I feel Sub is getting some glory and methadone is being slammed for NO valid issue. The two drugs do the same exact thing except that SUB is CIII & done is CII. The reason for this is because of people's perceptions and how these clinics are setup. People can stay on Suboxone for over 2 years, or really for the rest of their lives. Depending on the individual sets the stage to how fast they decide to taper. I think people put methadone down because it tends to be associated with >>>>>> addiction, while Sub is associated with Rx painkillers. I tried to Sub and it did not work well for me. Methadone worked awesome,and with counseling and AA, I was able to come off methadone. The key here is to do what works for you! If you are on Sub and relapsing allover the place, what would it hurt to take methadone instead? Yes, it is frustrating to hear how people compare the two, but it is just ignorance and lack of self experience. As far as people overdosing on methadone, usually it is a polysubstance OD. Methadone is a very long acting drug and extremely synergistic with Benzos. You could OD on Sub too. I guess my point here is the drugs have the same purpose. Also, methadone has years and years of research and studies on it, while subxone only has been around for about 10 years. So, in reality whatever your wonderdrug is, is the one that keeps you clean!
    This reply is to freebird slamming outback joe or whatever his name is.

oh yeah. Hell yes you were high on 320mgs a day! No one should really be allowed to go over 120mg/day. How did you detox? One mg a week is how you should detox. IF you take enought Sub you can get high, too. Did they do serum testing on you before letting you get that high on methadone? I have to say that clinic should be looked at, because that is too excessive. Addicts have to be careful with both Methadone and Suboxone because addicts are addicts and sometime what you want and want you need are two different things.

The fact that you are a healthcare professional means nothing here. You're a self-admitted drug addict like everyone else. The difference is that if you really knew what you were talking about you wouldn't tell people to stay on subs for two years. That causes the patient to become addicted flat out at any dose. I don't know what you do in the medical field but I guarantee you that I know subs as well as you or better. I've been here a long time and will lay odds I've dealt with more people on subs than you.

A person can have their brain receptors working properly, be inducted properly at a low dose of 2-3mg, and that includes methadone addicts who are tapering down once they get to 30mg, I've inducted >>>>>> addicts at 1.25mg and they have years clean today, and I can have them on and off subs with little discomfort in sixty days or thereabouts. After using opiates for 35 years I've been clean from using the same protocol I share here with others now for almost ten years. It took me six weeks of being on and off subs and I was using between 900-1000mg of Roxicodone IR each day for years. There are scores of people here with multi-years of clean time following the protocol we use here with subs. As a matter of fact lots of drs are using our protocol now this very day for sub therapy. Methadone is a total overkill for RX opiates, like shooting a fly with a shotgun.

No one here is bad mouthing methadone, at least not the regular old timers. It's just a last resort medication. You try EVERYTHING else first as it's so difficult to get off methadone compared to subs when they are used properly. Methadone is a great pain med for those chronic pain patients needing opiates for life. But it sucks for pill heads! It's medical professionals who have no idea what they are talking about that are the biggest problem where subs are concerned. They don't even know how to use them.

I've had addicts on this forum that were MDs, many RNs, policemen, military, attorneys, teachers, name a profession and I've worked with them on subs. You would be shocked by the number of drs and RNs who have been through this forum to get clean.

You're a pickle, my friend, just like everyone else here and you can never be a cucumber again! Your status as a pickled "professional" on a drug forum means absolutely nothing. God bless.

This reply is to freebird slamming outback joe or whatever his name is.

Being a professional you should be able to see that outbackjack, there is no outback joe, has not been on this forum since 2006. Odds are he won't be seeing your post. Please try to stay in current and relevant threads. People with six total posts six years ago are hardly the ones you should be addressing. Come on, man! Let's be professional here and talk to people alive on this forum TODAY. God bless.

G23Girl is offline New Member

Default Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by skishh View Post
    are you a f*ckin idiot? its people like you that abuse their suboxone treatment and unnecessarily take it for 15 months? it should be taken until your withdrawals are gone and then you taper off. you are useing it so that it is physically impossible for you to get high, how does that make you any better than the people you are pointing fingers at, you are no better than them, who are you to decide who gets prescribed what?

oh no percocet addiction? what are you 15? leave the suboxone for the real addict

@Skishh, you're the one who sounds like the 15-year-old. Look up Percocet and you'll see that it is Oxycodone, then Look up Oxy Contin and you'll see it is also Oxycodone.
    Now if they had said that they were addicted to Oxy's rather than Perc's, would you still be berating them and not consider them a "real addict"..? Don't be ignorant, all opiates are addictive.
    And why is it the 'fault' of the PATIENT that their DOCTOR is prescribing them Suboxone for what YOU consider to be too long?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast