Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Suboxone - How long does it stay in your system
    byronb2006 is offline New Member

I am new and have read this entire forum re: "suboxone: how long stay in system." I am paraplegic for 21 yrs & suboxone patient for 3 yrs, 16mg to start, down to 8mg for 6months, down to 2mg for last 3months. Diagnosed with two torn rotator cuffs, torn right bicep, bone spur on left elbow that has pinched off nerve and no feeling in left hand/forearm. As a paraplegic this is all real painful and has totally limited my mobility. Surgeon told me that I would have to be off suboxone if they were going to treat me for pain (having surgery June 29th). Gave me 10mg lortab & I quit the suboxone 4 days ago and began taking the lortab, 5mg every 6 hours. Needless to say I feel like ******** but the lortab does make me feel better...I DO NOT WANT BUZZZ!! I am scared to death of this surgery and physical rehab to follow cause of the pain. Suboxone was not helping with my pain. By trying to get off suboxone and go to the lortab am I trading one problem 4 another? Have I waited too late to try & quit the suboxone? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks All!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

If you're taking lortab now then you should be done with the suboxone. I would deal with the surgery first and then if you want to do the suboxone properly talk to us again about it at that time. You could possibly just cold turkey off the lortab after the surgery is over and not need subs or anything. But you need to first deal with your pain issue it appears. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

byronb2006 is offline New Member

Default Many Thanks for your suggestions!!

Thank you so much for your reply! I reread my post & would like to add a bit more info regarding my inquiry. I am really feeling that I waited far too late to even try and dump the suboxone. The 5mg of Lortab only serves to keep me from being ill. I do not feel well at all!! The Lortab lasts about 4 hours and then it is a real struggle to make it to 6 hours. I take the next 5mg and same thing 3 1/2 - 4 hours I feel some well & then the stomach rolling over comes back and the nasal passages become clogged...just like the withdrawal from percocet. I was on 30-60mg/day of percocet from '03 to '06 with herniated disks & withdrew from that twice during that period...COLD TURKEY & VERY ILL. In '06 decided that had had enough of the pain meds as they were gaining control of my life so, on recommendation from friend went to suboxone dr. Once on suboxone my life became much, much better! Unfortunately for me, I live in small town in MS & not much education on these issues here. Suboxone dr is idiot! He said to take more mobic for pain issues. So no help there. Once I explain what suboxone is to the dr's here I really feel as though I get the leper treatment. Last thing, this lortab is not cutting it. I am really feeling ill and am at a crossroads...increase the lortab and try to ride this out or go back on the suboxone and worry about the pain of therapy later. I cannot go into surgery like this...will be ill!

Quote Originally Posted by byronb2006 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply! I reread my post & would like to add a bit more info regarding my inquiry. I am really feeling that I waited far too late to even try and dump the suboxone. The 5mg of Lortab only serves to keep me from being ill. I do not feel well at all!! The Lortab lasts about 4 hours and then it is a real struggle to make it to 6 hours. I take the next 5mg and same thing 3 1/2 - 4 hours I feel some well & then the stomach rolling over comes back and the nasal passages become clogged...just like the withdrawal from percocet. I was on 30-60mg/day of percocet from '03 to '06 with herniated disks & withdrew from that twice during that period...COLD TURKEY & VERY ILL. In '06 decided that had had enough of the pain meds as they were gaining control of my life so, on recommendation from friend went to suboxone dr. Once on suboxone my life became much, much better! Unfortunately for me, I live in small town in MS & not much education on these issues here. Suboxone dr is idiot! He said to take more mobic for pain issues. So no help there. Once I explain what suboxone is to the dr's here I really feel as though I get the leper treatment. Last thing, this lortab is not cutting it. I am really feeling ill and am at a crossroads...increase the lortab and try to ride this out or go back on the suboxone and worry about the pain of therapy later. I cannot go into surgery like this...will be ill!

Mobic is an NSAID. It would help like ibuprofen or naproxen. The dr is trying to keep your lortab consumption to a minimum. Lots of time it takes a few days before a RX opiate is effective after being on so much suboxne for so long. If you ride this out you'll be okay for the surgery and be able to stop the pain meds and subs all at once. Keep us posted. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

delta1011 is offline Senior Member

My son is scheduled to come out of rehab (60 days) from opiate addiction. He mentioned suboxone yesterday. Why would he need this after being 60+days of being off anything/everything? I'm confused.

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default jbchicken

He probable was on suboxone while in detox. Ask him what medications they gave him and how much of each while there. A lot of rehab facilities treat opiate addiction w/ suboxone to help with withdrawls. Make sure that if he gets more suboxone, that he takes the lowest effective dose. If not, he will become addicted to the subs and they require a slow agonizing taper to get off of. Come back with more info so that we can help. Robert_325 is the expert on sub therapy and should be back on this forum soon. Read as much of his posts as you can. It will help you from making a big mistake. If you need answers now, just ask.
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !

kolumbo is offline New Member

Default hey

I was wondering one thing. Can anyone help me? How long would it take if Ive been taking opiates regularly and took 4mg of suboxone one day, only one time, to get out of my system, before I can feel the opiates again? Again, I havent been on subs at all, just took it once, and it was a 4mg. How long would it take to feel the opiates? less than 12 hrs?

sirmike75 is offline New Member

Red face I have a question

I will tell you my story ...i have cronic neck pain to the point i have wanted to kill myself .....this all took place within a 5 year span ...1 st i started on vicoden 7.5 after awhile they just didnt cut it...then i moved up to ...norco 10-325 .....started at 2 a day wich was great ...then i graduated to approx...15-20 a day ...which just wasnt cutting it....then i moved up to fentnyl the duragesic patch i started on 25 mg patch ....lets just say before i was complete with this whole thing i was wearing 4-5 50 mg patches and eating 10 plus 600 actiq on top of that i was eating ...norco.........about a year ago ...i was introduced to suboxone i started at 2 - 8mg a day ...... This last month i switched to 2 mg pills i have been taking 2 -2 times a day 8 mg s a day . I recently decided to stop i got to 1 pill a day and started getting that ansy feeling like the skin crawling under my nails ....and started feeling bad ..........i just dont want to get sick ...any recommendations should i stay on this stuff or what???????????????????

You can't jump off abruptly from the dose you're at. You need to taper slowly. Here is a link for how I base my suggestions. Let me know after reading it if you want the help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

sirmike75 is offline New Member

Default Wtf

Well after further consideration ....i think im going to start taking the least amount of this ******** as poss for a while ....maybe 2 mg 2x a day or maybe even 1 pill a day ...till january ...when i can take some time off work.....so i wont come into the office feeling that horrible......anyway if anyone s got any better ideas let me know

Anonymous Guest

Default Suboxone!!!!!!!!!!!

hi just giving you some input about suboxone. i was on the stuff for 12mths up until 7 day's ago. i started on 8mgs then over the last 6 weeks started to taper down until i got to the 1mg mark, well what a bad move that was. i got to the point where i couldn't leave the house and basically couldn't even function anymore. i was so sick from the withdrawals that i went to my g.p. and he put me straight onto 15mgs of methadone. i know that i have gone from one drug to the other but i feel so much better now to the point where i am out all the time and have my life back. but now i have to decide how i'm going to taper down off the methadone. it scares me as i know how bad i felt coming off the suboxone and am so worried that the methadone will do the same thing?? anyone out there know much about tapering off the meth??? pls help. very confused to say the least. cheer's.

bev49 is offline Banned

bevck, I think you jumped off the sub prematurely. There is a certain way to detox from sub which seems to work fine (per Robert's formula for getting off) for most people here. 1 mg. is way to high to just stop. Be that as it may, you need to come down from the methadone as quickly as possible or your in for a world of hurt. Methadone has a long half life and a terrible w/d. The only way to do this is to stay on meth for a minimum amount of time, don't go up beyond the 15 mgs. and start decreasing your dose as soon as possible. Most people have to switch from methadone to sub to get off the meth... I hope this is not just a revolving door. If you end up back on sub, ask for help on this forum with your taper. I know everything there is to know about methadone, and while it has its good points, ie, pain relief and saving a junkie from death, it is usually for the hard core addict and is long term.

living in pain is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bevck41 View Post
    hi just giving you some input about suboxone. i was on the stuff for 12mths up until 7 day's ago. i started on 8mgs then over the last 6 weeks started to taper down until i got to the 1mg mark, well what a bad move that was. i got to the point where i couldn't leave the house and basically couldn't even function anymore. i was so sick from the withdrawals that i went to my g.p. and he put me straight onto 15mgs of methadone. i know that i have gone from one drug to the other but i feel so much better now to the point where i am out all the time and have my life back. but now i have to decide how i'm going to taper down off the methadone. it scares me as i know how bad i felt coming off the suboxone and am so worried that the methadone will do the same thing?? anyone out there know much about tapering off the meth??? pls help. very confused to say the least. cheer's.
    I wish you lots of luck! like others have said, methadone is a horrible medication to come off of. I cant say from my own experience but once someone knows that im on methadone, the first thing they say is that methadone is the WORST med to come off of. I was put on methadone over 5 years ago for severe pain. I am on a lot higher dose than you are but, for me-this med has been a life saver that has given me some resemblence of a "normal" life. i can actually function on a daily basis since being prescribed the med. my doctors tell me that with my conditions, i will be on my meds for life but i do fear the day if i were to ever have to stop taking it. i wish you luck and keep reading the posts because there are tons of people on here that have experienced what you are now and should be able to assist you! keep us posted!!!

nuttybuddy is offline New Member

Default Wasted UR Money & broke the law

Quote Originally Posted by htown190 View Post
    I've been taking 8mg/day of Suboxone for a month now. This morning I fractured my ankle and was given lortab for pain. I know if I take the lortab now it wouldnt help with the pain. About how long does it take for Suboxone to leave the body so I can take the lortab for pain relief. Thanks.
    For one you broke the law by getting the Lotabs filled. You have a contract with the doctor that prescribes your Suboxone, agreeing that you won't get any pain med's from any other doctor except them. The DEA monitors Suboxone treatment programs making sure people aren't doctor shopping. Also, there is no point in taking Lortabs because you won't get the full effect of them because the Suboxone is using up the all receptors that Opiates trigger. Did you not listen to your doctor when you got put on this stuff? Your ankle will be damn near heeled before the Tab's will help you. You should of saved your money.

HARDWORKING is offline New Member

Red face hopefully have stopped taking subs

I am new to this, I actually did not know that there were so many people out there with the same addictions. Most of the time you think you are alone. Or your friends ( so called ) don't want to stop, and your family just doesn't understand. I had been taking subs for about 14 months. Sometimes I feel like it is all in my head. Because I stopped taking the subs monday 9/7 with only a 4mg tab that morning. I had been taking 8mg twice a day. Anyhow, here it is saterday and I feel as though I am okay, I don't feel fantastic, but I am not feeling like hell either. My original ? was how long does it take for the subs to get out of your system? And that ? lead me here, in which I read every comment. And learned alot. I have 2 childeren so I am trying very hard to get off of everything for myself, them, and my wonderful boyfriend I have been with going on five years, that I have hurt more than once because of this addiction. Of which I thought could not be a drug addiction because I don't do other drugs, and I didn't put myself on opiants. I guess I just wanted reassurance that I would be okay from here on out. That the only battle was trying to stay off everything now, not the withdraws. And that I have no one eles to talk to about this. Any advice on this would be so helpful and I would truely greatful.

darlaj429 is offline New Member

Wink suboxone

Ive read so many diferent post on suboxone and taking it too close after taking opiates. I just was released from a 6 week treatment center and hadnt heard of Suboxone. I was admitted tues at 3p.m. I took 15 lortab 10's going thru the door. At 10p.m that night I was given a 4mg dose of Suboxone. I have been on suboxone since..its been 3 months now..

ashaddict is offline New Member

Default 17 days

I have been on suboxone for 8 months and i am almost off. First of all I must say that this really works for those who want to change. If you are still thinking about getting high than you are not ready for suboxone. I was so paranoid when I first started because of all the negative stuff I read but now I know that it is a miracle drug. I was taking 3-5 80s every day spent almost $2000 a month and almost died once. So far 9 people that I have partied with have died but anyways to answer your question it take about 15-30 days if you are on a maintence program. Usually 3 days after just a few of them(8mg that is). I used to be concerned with that question myself only because I still missed that feeling. Face the facts if you stay on opz you are going to die. I would rather go the suboxone route. Remember out of sight out of mind you can do it ...

Typhoid777 is offline New Member

Unhappy My sub struggle

Quote Originally Posted by shes2spooky View Post
    I have been on methodone for several years. It has helped me with the addiction I have with opiates (and not sure how it worked but it has even helped me with my alcoholism) but now ...i am having trouble with even it since my tolerance has increased. I have chronic pain from more than one disablity and I am exhausted in trying to find help from a DR. for the pain, and at the same time...a DR. that will understand and treat the addiction as well.
    I have been reading alot on the suboxone and read it had first started as a medication for pain (overseas) and in the states now is being used for opiate addiction. I wondered if anyone here could give me the patients opinion of it. I also wondered if someone might tell me if I would possibly be a good candidate for it. I realize you are not physicans but I do apprecite the patients opinions.Thanks alot
    I have been on subs for several months. To me, unfortunately, they seemed like just another pill to pop to get a buzz. I have serious addiction issues and too much to lose if I were to hit bottom. I suffer from severe chronic pain and have found absolutely NO pain relief from suboxones whatsoever. None. I realize that suboxones are a tool to be used towards recovery. I am just struggling so hard and getting nowhere, even with suboxone. It doesn't feel like a monkey on my back, it feels like a gorilla. Is recovery even possible? I am so discouraged right now. Anyways, take it from me, methadone kills pain but is a total ********** to kick whereas suboxone does not kill pain but is easy to kick. total catch 22. Anybody out there...please...help me. I can't do this on my own. This gorilla is too f#cking heavy.

#41 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by htown190 View Post
    I've been taking 8mg/day of Suboxone for a month now. This morning I fractured my ankle and was given lortab for pain. I know if I take the lortab now it wouldnt help with the pain. About how long does it take for Suboxone to leave the body so I can take the lortab for pain relief. Thanks.
    I am in the same position as you...I am having surgery on my knee tomarrow. My knee needs a lot of repairing and I have been taking suboxone for 3 yrs now...but I stoped friday to give it a week to leave my system...well after the 3 days I was sick even though I was substituting with pain pills and alot of them , it just didnt get rid of my withdrawl from the sub. I had to give in 2 days ago..my last dose was last night. I know that pain meds would of work if I just would of stuck to it...but I have an extremly fast pace life, I just dont have time for withdrawl. Obv. it takes more than a week for the pain pills to work after sub. Please be very careful with both meds. You just never know. But do remember that you have a very high tolerence to pain pills right now because of the sub. It will take some time but I do believe that sub helps with pain. I hope that I could help you

sundayneal is offline New Member

Default about half life of suboxone

i would be grateful if member named Rawoody could address a question.
    i have been on suboxone-at 2 mg or less for 6-8 weeks. how long will it remain
    in my system?
    wish i understood your formula for calculation.
    i plan to begin naltrexone as soon as is advisable.
    have been completely off of suboxone for almost 8 days now. still feel a little
    bad, but somewhat better.

advice?
    nifty calculations?

gratefully
    sundayneal

perpetualmind is offline New Member

dude, i believe the original poster of this forum was asking how long he would need to wait before the actual analgesic pain killers he was given will take effect. suboxone is a partial agonist, doesnt work that great for pain once u plateau. it IS a legit concern because full agonists DO actually work better for pain relief. And yes, you ARE taking advantage of the system by taking suboxone on the days when you cant have your fix and then going right back to them. Suboxone is and should only be a drug to treat and help cope with opiate addiction, not to hold you off til you can scrape up enough money to go out and buy another gram of tar or waste 60$ on some 80mg oxy. I personally will be needing back surgery in the near future and this post and some of its replies were helpful to me because i am going to need actual pain relief after surgery for a ruptured disc in my back from power lifting. I would never dream about using recreationally again... take it from someone who has been down the road you will be soon walking, you do not want travel that path my friend. It's dark, lonely, and full of pain and suffering. my advice to you is get on a suboxone treatment plan and watch how your life turns around.

perpetualmind is offline New Member

going through some withdrawl is part of the program unfortunately. when i started my treatment plan with subs, i was doing a ball of black every day. The withdrawls were really bad, far less than what would happen if i tried to quit cold turkey. recovery IS possible, but only if you REALLY want to recover. Eventually you will even out, and suboxone will be taken each day and you will feel normal as anyone else. It kinda is a catch 22 in a sense, you either deal with withdrawls SUPER STRONG for a few weeks. Or slowly deal with minor withdrawls each lowered dose over the course of about 18 months. Recovery comes from within, you cant rely on a pill to do all the work right?? be strong, i know you will find what works best for you!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-24-2010 at 02:03 AM.

travist7 is offline New Member

Default Restless Leg from detoxing off of Suboxone

I recently got off Suboxone after being on it since early 07. After reading
    many comments, I definitely shared many side effect that some of you have
    and are dealing with. The lack of sexual drive,depression,agitation(it's a
    wonder my girlfriend stuck it out with me). In the past, I had tried to
    come off Suboxone many times and each time I experienced restless leg
    (that's the best way I can explain it). It usually happens after day 2 of
    detoxing and most of the time, it's at night when I'm trying to sleep.
    After experiencing this, I would get back on the Sub., simply to avoid
    dealing with the side effects. I want to note that each time I tried to
    come off the Sub, I did it cold turkey(which I don't recommend anyone
    doing it that way) Finally, I winged myself off from 16 mg. per day to 8 mg
    and so forth all the way down to a quarter. I am still experiencing the
    restless leg even from such a small dose. Has anybody experienced this
    as well and is this normal or a common side effect. I can't seem to find
    anything regarding this. Thank you,

Juliebfe is offline New Member

Question Suboxone

I am currently supposed to be taking 1 Sub every 4 hours. I want to get off of this medication desperatly but I can't. I'll get down to taking 1/2 of an orange 8 mg every other day! Then I try to go down an additional 1/2 to a 1/4. I get in bed and I'm not even in it an hour and WHAM!!! Restless arms & legs with associated deep pain and anxiety. I'll jump in the shower and that helps if it's hot enough water! But most nights I'm in agony.
    Does ANYBODY have the answer about how to get off this dreadful medication????!!!!!!

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Julie, you're going about getting off sub absolutely wrong. First of all, why are you taking one every 4 hours? The half life of sub is about 30 hours, so you are overloading yourself. It's meant to be taken 2x a day at most and alot of people only take it once a day.
    You need to taper much further. Go to featured drugs on this forum and read the sticky entitled subutex/suboxone therapy. It will give you an idea of how people get off sub. You need to taper down to at least .5, even better if you taper to .25. You can't stop at 4 mg. or more. Sub is too strong. Read the sticky then post and someone will help you taper more successfully. Again, sub was never meant as a once every 4 hour pill.

GenRx is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jalperi1 View Post
    Suboxone stays in your system for 8 hrs. You should know that Suboxone is also given for pain. I would talk to your Dr. about taking a little more for the Suboxone, instead of the Lortab.

Jason A
    The half-life of Suboxone is 36-hours. Your information about staying in your system for eight-hours is incorrect.

jaydiggs484 is offline New Member

Question Suboxone on opiates

Quote Originally Posted by spatt0120 View Post
    if you are taking suboxone and take an opiate, the opiate cannot attach itself to your opiate receptors. It does NOT cause you to go into withdrawl. THe only time you would go into withdrawl is if you are taking opiates (not on suboxone) and then you don't wait until you are sick to take suboxone. if you are on opiates and take suboxone, the suboxone will push the opiates out of your receptors and cause you to go into withdrawl. So taking opiates while you are on suboxone does NOT cause you to go into withdrawl because the opiate receptors are blocked and the opiate does nothing to you. everyone stop preaching, the person was just asking a simple question.
    I have been taking 8mg Suboxone's and occasionally 8mg Subutex for about 8 months. Subutex is recommended for pregnant women from what I know and it does no contain the "opiate blocker", and from personal experience is much stronger than Suboxone. But even with taking Suboxone only a few hours after taking opiates I have never experienced any type of premeditated withdrawal. And trust me.... I know what withdrawal feels like. I also have many friends who have done the same thing as me and never experienced it, so im not really sure what thats about. All I do know is that the only reason I take Suboxone, Subutex, or any Opiates is to feel better. Not because I need them, but Im addicted to "feeling better" no matter what the drug. These "wonder drugs", such as suboxone and subutex do nothing more in my opinion than merely sustain your addiction until a later time.... anyone else follow me?

getnovrit is offline Member

Taking opiates because you are addicted to feeling better means that you are addicted to opiates, doesn't it?

Getnovrit from MS

Anonymous Guest

the half life of sub is 36-72 hours depending on the individual..

you dont jump off at 4mg.

you dont take it more than twice a day. since i started on july 09 i have had to take it ONCE A DAY ONLY, due to clinic rules. i have had no problem with this.

the problem came at then end, when it was time to jump., i got to .25mg and it still kicks your butt with rls, anxiety, stress, no sleep, all of the above.

slow and steady, take your dose lower and lower, and sort out head issues first, these will hold you back. its not just takin a drug to fix things, we still have the original shyte in our heads that caused us to turn to drugs in the first place.

good luck to anyone tryin to get off subs.

cheeky

Cheeky is right. Halflife of subs is from 36-72 hours plus or minus a few but that mean in say 48 hours half the sub is out of your body. Then in another 48 hours another 1/2 is gone of what's left, then another 1/2 what's still left and so on. So it can take a long time especially if you're taking doses in there as well. It can take a long time to get rid of all the subs.

Don't even think about stopping abruptly at 4mg. That would most likely lead to some very serious w/d probdrems. I'm very serious, it could last a month easily doing it like that. God bless.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast