Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Itwasntme
Problem with transferring prescriptions
    ChestRockwell is offline New Member

Default Problem with transferring prescriptions

Ok so just today I came up against some weird behavior from a pharmacy and wanted to know what others thought or if the pharmacy was even right to do it.

I had 2 scripts at a Walmart: Tramadol and Amitryptyline. Both of these prescriptions are a 30 day supply. The Tramadol is on day 25 out of 30, and the Amitryptiline on day 22 of 30.

For reasons pertaining to insurance(or lack there of), I had to transfer these scripts to a Jewel/Osco pharmacy. I called the Osco and told them exactly what I wanted to do, told them the names of the medications and the days left in the 30 day supply, they said I could easily just transfer them both over today and pick them up later. I said ok since that saves me some time.

So that was a couple of hours ago and now when I call into Osco to confirm if everything went ok they tell me that the Amitryptiline has gone through but the Tramadol didn't as they were told I had no refills on it. I of course knew I had one left on so I called Walmart and the pharmacist told me she couldn't allow me to transer the script until Friday because it was "too soon". I knew pharmacists could prevent refills if they wanted, but can they truly prevent you from transferring one?

Not to mention the other medicine was too soon as well, yet they let that go. I realize Tramadol is not the same class of medicine, but it's still weird as I've never received any trouble from this pharmacy about the medicine, and I've even refilled it was early as on day 23 before with not a word. But I'm still concerned with can they actually prevent me from removing my own medicine? First they tried to tell me I could not do it because other pharmacies would not allow it, but when I told her I had already talked to the pharmacy she went with the "too early" excuse. Also she claimed to have not ever spoken to anyone from Osco about it, despite one prescription having to of gone through. It just seems weird to me.

I will note the Osco I tried to transfer it to I have no insurance at, and I live in Illinois.

TOLLY1942 is offline New Member

All I could say is pharmasists play god. I was 4 days early on a xanax script rite-aid said sorry. I called my ins co. they called the pharm and they put it right through-Ps Cant you get state ins.

Itwasntme is offline New Member

Default Regarding early refills

Quote Originally Posted by TOLLY1942 View Post
    All I could say is pharmasists play god. I was 4 days early on a xanax script rite-aid said sorry. I called my ins co. they called the pharm and they put it right through-Ps Cant you get state ins.
    I see alot of questions on here regarding refilling a prescription early.Most have to do with scheduled medications such as Vicodin,Percocet etc.Under federal law there is no time limit required between filling any prescription early.There there may be a state ordinance depending on where you live.Pharmacists can use there discretion regarding when to refill a prescription or simply choose not to fill one period.Pharmacy personal are well aware of drug seeking behavior and are encouraged to control how medications are used.This is more of an ethical standard then a legal one.
    Dact likes this.