Prescription help, pleeeeeeese.
    MX5
    MX5 is offline New Member

Question Prescription help, pleeeeeeese.

Rx Vicodin 5/500 sig. 2 tab q4h prn pain #150 X 5 .

What does all this mean (break it down) and is it safe

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Vicoden is a painkiller. The 5/500 is the strength ordered. 5 being the amount of opiate and 500 being the amount of analgesic in each tablet. The directions are 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed for pain. The 150 is the number of tablets in each refill and the x5 I think is probably the number of refills. Is it safe? That will all depend on what if any other medications you are taking and any medical condition(s) you have. Your doctor needs to answer that question for you. Who gave you this prescription? If it was your primary care physician, hopefully he knows your medical history and has a complete list of any medication you are taking. If it was prescribed by a doctor that isn't familiar with your medical history then perhaps you should call your primary care provider and ask him/her. Do you only use one pharmacy? Hopefully you do and if so, ask your pharmacist. He/she will know all your meds and can advise you about whether or not it is safe for you to take the Vicodin.

Hope this helps.

Cat

MX5

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Vicoden is a painkiller. The 5/500 is the strength ordered. 5 being the amount of opiate and 500 being the amount of analgesic in each tablet. The directions are 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed for pain. The 150 is the number of tablets in each refill and the x5 I think is probably the number of refills. Is it safe? That will all depend on what if any other medications you are taking and any medical condition(s) you have. Your doctor needs to answer that question for you. Who gave you this prescription? If it was your primary care physician, hopefully he knows your medical history and has a complete list of any medication you are taking. If it was prescribed by a doctor that isn't familiar with your medical history then perhaps you should call your primary care provider and ask him/her. Do you only use one pharmacy? Hopefully you do and if so, ask your pharmacist. He/she will know all your meds and can advise you about whether or not it is safe for you to take the Vicodin.

Hope this helps.

Cat
    My mistake, I should have been more clear. It's for my wifes pharmacy class and she/we just wanted to back up her homework with someone smarter than us.

Thank you Cat.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    My mistake, I should have been more clear. It's for my wifes pharmacy class and she/we just wanted to back up her homework with someone smarter than us.

Thank you Cat.
    If it's for your wife's pharmacy class, then why are you asking if it is safe??

MX5

Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    If it's for your wife's pharmacy class, then why are you asking if it is safe??
    I was just helping as one of the questions = "is this prescritpion safe to fill". No answer yet but it stinks of forgery (the 150pills could have been 50pills). Everyone agrees 150 is a big number especially with 6 fills.

fragile1 is offline New Member

Smile

FYI~ 150 is the amount of pills that have been or will be filled in the bottle @ a dosage of 5 pills per day. One month supply is 30 days x 5 pills per day= 150.

Quote Originally Posted by fragile1 View Post
    FYI~ 150 is the amount of pills that have been or will be filled in the bottle @ a dosage of 5 pills per day. One month supply is 30 days x 5 pills per day= 150.
    thats not accurate. its written for 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. that is actually written for 12 a day.

mrs adnan is offline New Member

Default answer

Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    Rx Vicodin 5/500 sig. 2 tab q4h prn pain #150 X 5 .

Rx (means have to take)

vicodin (is name of drug which is narcotic analgesic (painkiller)

u have to take 5oomg tablet

q4h - every four hour
    for pain

Nonyuh is offline New Member

thats not accurate. its written for 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed. that is actually written for 12 a day.
    No, the FDA puts a limit at 4000mg of acetaminophen per day for adults. You aren't supposed to take 12 vicodin (500 x 12 = 6000mg of acetaminophen = liver damage). Regardless of how many the doctor prescribes such as 12 a day you always assume that the max they take in a day is 8 (8 x 500 = 4000) because if they take more then that they will have liver damage.

So 150 / 8 = 18.75 or 19 day supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonyuh View Post
    No, the FDA puts a limit at 4000mg of acetaminophen per day for adults. You aren't supposed to take 12 vicodin (500 x 12 = 6000mg of acetaminophen = liver damage). Regardless of how many the doctor prescribes such as 12 a day you always assume that the max they take in a day is 8 (8 x 500 = 4000) because if they take more then that they will have liver damage.

So 150 / 8 = 18.75 or 19 day supply.
    I agree with you, but the original question was what does this prescription detail? And it is written as 2 pills every 4 hours for pain, which is 12 in a 24 hr period. So my answer was correct. Read the first post and you will see why i posted what I posted.

Nonyuh is offline New Member

I agree with you, but the original question was what does this prescription detail? And it is written as 2 pills every 4 hours for pain, which is 12 in a 24 hr period. So my answer was correct. Read the first post and you will see why i posted what I posted.
    Ok yeah then I see what you are saying. Then I guess if you go back to the original question "Is it safe?" the answer is taking 12 per day is not safe. This is for the reasons I mentioned above about liver damage. Way to much Tylenol.

cpht2010 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mx5 View Post
    rx vicodin 5/500 sig. 2 tab q4h prn pain #150 x 5 .

vicodin is a pain reliever drug..with strength 5/500..sig means the directions to take this drug...so in this case it would be "take 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed for pain" #150 x 5-----means the quanity to dispense to patient would be 150 tablets. With 5 refills....i think this is too much especially when vicodin can be addictive...i agree with the amount to be taken a day but i do not agree with the 5 refills but i quess it all depends what type of pain is the patient experience..so i would rather think it would be the cause of surgery...

pookie5353 is offline New Member

Hopefully, since it's a prn order, nobody has to overdose on anything. It would be 'may take' and not 'have to take'. However, if you have chronic pain then it would be a different story.

puppypal is offline Junior Member

Default I agree

Toomuch tynenol.
    I myself no medical fancy stuff under my belt. BUT I am in pain management for back problems. Ran across a situation that is simular.
    I wanted not to take the OXY IR anymore and winged myself down off of it. I was also taking davocet N 100 at the time...After coming clean off oxy I needed a couple etc darvocet N 100 to make it through the work day....I was prescribed at the time 4 capsules daily. When he upped my scrip He changed it to Darvon because of the tynenol amount in the davorcet N 100. I was taking 6 darvon daily.
    I seriously doubt that would be a believable scrip! Red flag. Normally pain maagement gives you one scrip for pain and another for break through pain...also ya might have an muscle relaxer also...Sounds fishy to me
    Expecially since he could give you a higher strength of hydrocodone like 7.5 or 10. and havea lot less tynenol...Too many other options