Help manage taking medicines before meal
    grace25 is offline New Member

Default Help manage taking medicines before meal

Hi, can somebody please help me how to manage taking medicines before meal?
    Without going into much details here, my dad is on several medications. He has 2 different medicines that are required to take before meal. "Before meal" means an empty stomach - I understand this part! Wheew! lol!

However, what I'm confused about is that... do I give him both the medicines at the same time before breakfast (Assuming 7:30AM since it takes a little while for the pills to sink in.) That way when it get to 8AM I can just give him his breakfast. Am I doing this correct? Can somebody clarify? Or should I give him only the first medicine before meal and then the second medicine right before lunch? Which is the best way?

Another thing also, is that I need to check his blood sugar too. Do I check his blood sugar before breakfast? OK now, I have to give him a shot of insulin too. Do I do that after the breakfast? Or before breakfast? Or all at the same time before breakfast? I'm sorry i am very new to this. I hate giving people shots and medicine. But you know, my dad had a stroke, he was at the nursing home for 3 months, and now he is home. So its MEEE that has to give him the medicines. I give him the medicines during the day and my older brother will give the rest when he get off work in the afternoon. But I'd like some thoughts from you experts on how to go about managing time. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by grace25; 05-01-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

When you are talking about insulin and diabetes and other meds that may or may not be related I suggest you talk with your dr about this. No way I would advise anyone on how they should administer insulin and things of such concern. It's just out of our league on a drug forum as there are no drs here. You need professional advice. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

l5pine is offline Junior Member

One other thing, BLESS YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF YOUR DAD!!!

I did it and it is the hardest thing in the world. Don't forget there are support groups for caregivers, which you now are, out there. Check with the rehab that he was at.

Best again!

Des
    ~~"I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY THAT EVER SAID NO TO ME, BECAUSE OF THEM - 'I DID IT MYSELF!'"~~

Brauchtworst is offline Senior Member

We went to the Alzheimers store on line. Not sure of the address, but they make a great gadget that has four drawers in it for 8 days. You load the pills for the week. it has a clock and timer. At the designated time, the thing sends the alarm and the correct drawer opens. It works great for pills as long as the person is alert enough to know how to serve themself when the ringer goes off. IT's great if you're not there. They cannot screrw themselves up other than to forget to take the stuff, but the bell rings until they shut the drawer. Hard to ignor. Doesn't help with insulin shots, though. We had both inlaws doing that and both had dementia in an assisted living place. Saved $800 per person per month!

sandyjsmithh is offline Banned

According to me for such crucial things you must not rely on anybody's suggestion. You must consult a professional who would guide you and give you the right ways to take medicine.