Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Help! Drug Test Results
    Bubba_Bear is offline New Member

Question Help! Drug Test Results

I had to take a random drug test at work. My results came back positive for something I dont take and I am not sure if they said it was high dose also.

I currenlty take meds for my heart and pain management, below are what I am prescribed for both conditions.

Oxycontin 80 MG 3 times a day

Roxicodone 15 mg up to five times a day ( this is my rescue dose for pain management

Valium 10mg one a day when need for muscle spasms ( I take valium because I am alergic to the normal muscle relaxers prescribed out there)

Isosorbid 30mg once a day

Metoprolol Succ ER 50 mg once a day

Lipitor 40 mg once a day

Plavix 75 mg once a day

Avalide 300-25 once a day

My drug test results came back positive for something I dont take or have ever taken, first of all I dont abuse drugs or use drugs for recreational use, I dont take more than prescribed....My oxycodone came back ok...my valium didnt show up but they said I tested positive for oxazepam amd I may have tested high for it....I am currenty under suspension at work as of yesterday, I had to go down to the place the use to collect the urine sample and pay them $210 bucks so they could re-test the sample at another lab, or at least I hope they use another lab as I requested.......I see from research that oxazepam and valium or of the same class drug, I dont take my valiums every day but I did take them just about every night prior to being tested due to being out of town and not being able to sleep well in the hotel bed.

I dont understand why the valium didnt show up but oxazepam did and possibly in a high dose.....Like I said I dont take my meds more than prescibed, I am also drug tested at my pain clinic to insure I have my meds in me and no ilegal drugs of other nacotics not prescribed to me.....the DEA is tuff on pain doctors and those who take strong pain meds...I would never risk my job or my medical care to get high or take something I am not prescribed...not just because of my medical care but because I fully understand that the meds I take could kill me if abused, taken with certain other meds or taken with alcohol (I dont drink either)....

I need someones help that could explain why my test came back like it did....I wont know about the results of the second test till friday and it was taken from the same sample that already tested positive for oxazepam....I havent ate out or put myself in a situation where some one could spike something I was drinking or eating..so you all can see how confused I am right now....My job depends on the second test or an explanation for why I tested positive for something I didnt put in my system.

Your help is greatky apreciated in this matter.....I also kne 3 hours ahead that I was gonna be tested...so I had time to try and dilite my urine if I was worried but my boss knows what meds I take...I dont take valium at all while at work.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Bubba_Bear; 09-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

False positives can happen. Some are more likely than others. You haven't said what you tested positive for so I can't tell you anything more than that. We have to have some info to give you any information. Drs can't tell you something either if you don't tell them what is going on.

If its the benzos that you are talking about on most standard drug tests a benzo is going to show up as a benzo period. They don't typically tell you exactly which benzo you are taking.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 09-10-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    tlcmel likes this.

I tested posative for oxazepam I have never taken this drug

the drug testing lab didnt even call me to ask what meds I take
    Last edited by Bubba_Bear; 09-10-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba_Bear View Post
    I tested posative for Oxeapam I have never taken this drug

I had a feeling that was what it was ... a benzo. Oddly benzos are one of the more common substances to show up as a false positive reading.

What kind of drug test did they use do you know? By that I don't mean a standard 5 panel test or a standard 9 panel test. This is what almost everyone uses all the time especially employers. These tests would show all benzos as just that ...benzos. They don't distinguish between the individual medications.

Pain management drs often use tests that can distinguish individual drugs as the DEA monitors them so closely. These same tests are available to companies but they are more expensive. Seldom do individual companies go to the expense of this type of test. I think it is sorry of them to suspend you pending the results of your second test and make you pay $210. That is pretty hard core.

I was looking to see if you were taking any anti-depressants and SSRIs. I have seen zoloft for example show a false benzo reading more than once. Do you take any herbal supplements? Sometimes they can also show as a false benzo reading. As crazy as this may sound orajell contains benzocaine and can cause a false positive benzo reading. You see where I am going with this? Ask yourself is there anything at all that you have taken that is an over-the-counter that perhaps you haven't thought about????

I am trying Bear. I am kind of stumped as I don't know everything that you could have possibly taken. Can you think of anything like I mentioned above??? Or anything else at all that you haven't mentioned? Think hard and don't leave anything out.

I dont take anything else but low dose orange flavored asprine for my heart, I drink lots of gatoraide (lemon aide flavored) and cokes or pepsi due to the meds keep my mouth dry, I also retain urine sometimes due to side effects of the meds and ..oh I take Colace or Senokote once or twice a week due to constipation from the pain meds...other than that...funny thing is I was told once you test positive they go further to see what drug it is....and the Valium didnt show up ...but oxaepam did....I was chosen randomly 3 months ago also and all tests came back good...they switched companies since then......what gets me is they did not call to ask what meds I take..I will seek legal advice if I have to..

I forgot every morning I drink a 10 oz glass of grapefruit juice, and while driving to work I drink a 12 oz glass cranberry juice..these help with the dry mouth when I first get up...I brush teeth with colgate tooth paste, the new kind that comes in a bottle not a tube....

I cant think of anything else ...I stay away from over the counter meds and erbal stuff....

thanks for ya help Robert
    Last edited by Bubba_Bear; 09-10-2008 at 02:57 PM.

I drink no alcohol at all..not even a beer or the drink on a special ocasion...I have been drug tested at my docs office because the DEA requested it due to the large amount of Narcotics I take and 5 times I come back good..never failed a test untill now.

I even had 3 hour advance notice so if I was worried I had time to drink lots of water and try to flush my system...but like I said I dont use to abuse..so I wasnt worried.....

the good thing is if I can clear this mess up they have to pay me for the time I am off work and refund the cost to me of the second test.....I know some sorry lazy workers and I would bet some are in the drug testing feild also........maybe I got one of them....
    Last edited by Bubba_Bear; 09-10-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Jane Burg is offline New Member

Default Positive Drug Test Results

I am a Iraq War Veteran and on celexa and ambien. I recently tested positive on our employers random drug test even though I have never did drugs. I have worked at the same company for several years and never tested positive before. Could either of these drugs given a false positive on my test results? I heard the positive results were for cocaine, which i have never touched. Do I have the right to see the actual test or do I have to just take the word of someone? I am struggling with many issues now and am therapy through out local V.A. Hospital which has been exteremly helpful but I need my job and am going crazy sitting at home with no answers. Can you give me some advice or tell me who can? I just want to get back to work. Thanks

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Burg View Post
    I am a Iraq War Veteran and on celexa and ambien. I recently tested positive on our employers random drug test even though I have never did drugs. I have worked at the same company for several years and never tested positive before. Could either of these drugs given a false positive on my test results? I heard the positive results were for cocaine, which i have never touched. Do I have the right to see the actual test or do I have to just take the word of someone? I am struggling with many issues now and am therapy through out local V.A. Hospital which has been exteremly helpful but I need my job and am going crazy sitting at home with no answers. Can you give me some advice or tell me who can? I just want to get back to work. Thanks
    When a positive comes up and the doner says it not right the specimen goes to the lab for futher testing.... there are a lot of false positives, that is why there is a 2nd line of testing...

If your clean dont worry.... enjoy your time off with pay coming..

Sister