Fiorinal C 1/2 and Fiorinal C 1/4????
    Serbu is offline New Member

Default Fiorinal C 1/2 and Fiorinal C 1/4????

I am a student studying addiction counselling and right now I'm taking a pharmacology class. I'm having trouble finding the difference between Fiorinal C 1/2 and Fiorinal C 1/4. I have looked in so many books and through the Internet and I have not been lucky as of yet. I am guessing it is just an increase in codeine phosphate but I'm not sure if that is correct. I am also trying to find out the dose (mg) of butalbital, ASA, codeine phosphate, and caffeine within each capsule of Fionrinal C 1/4. If anyone may know this, please respond and I will be forever greatful. Thanks.

nifer is offline New Member

Fiorinal C1/2 = butalbital 50mg, caffeine 40mg, aspirin 330mg, codeine phosphate 30mg

Fiorinal C1/4 = butalbital 50mg, caffeine 40mg, aspitin 330mg, [u]codeine phosphate 15MG</u>

Reference: CPS 2003

hope this helps!

misskeaties is offline New Member

Default Fiornal Information

I also am taking a pharmacology course as part of an Addictions Studies Diploma Program through McMaster University (on line). I too struggled with finding the difference between Fiorinal, Fiornal C 1/4 and Fiorinal C 1/2. I don't know if you are Canadian, American, etc.; however I ultimately found the answer in the Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (The Canadian Drug Reference for Health Professionals). (CPS) The difference in these two drugs is an increase in Codeine. C 1/4 contains 15 mg of codeine while C 1/2 contains 30 mg. There is no difference in the dosage of butalbital (50 mgs. in each). The CPS is an amazing book if you don't already have it. I have the American equivalent which is not any where near as comprehensive as the Canadian version. You may already know that Butalbital is a Barbituate. As you may also know, the combination of drugs in Fiornal C 1/4 and 1/2: are butalbital, ASA, caffeine, and codeine. By the way, Fiorinal is found on Pages 914 - 916 in the CPS. I hope this helps. I don't know when you posted this question, so; hopefully, I am not too late with this information. I actually acquired the CPS from my Pharmacist when he ordered the 2010 version. It has been my most helpful resource in this course which I am doing very well in. Kindest regards: Debby Keats
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-30-2010 at 04:47 AM.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

this question was posted over five years ago. I hope by now the original poster graduated with honors!! LOL!

senexi is offline New Member

thanks for the info (mar 2012)
    was doing a search for same course
    same reason!
    sounds like it might be time for them to change up the question!

KaylaT25 is offline New Member

LOL This is awesome! I am doing the same research for the same course as well! Looks like they haven't updated their assignments in a while LOL. Glad to see I wasn't the only one having difficulty with this research. Thanks for your help everyone!! )

Quote Originally Posted by senexi View Post
    thanks for the info (mar 2012)
    was doing a search for same course
    same reason!
    sounds like it might be time for them to change up the question!

swest33 is offline New Member

Same course same question here too!
    I'm wondering if there are any other great resources people are coming up with. I am too struggling to fill in the gaps with some of the information the professor is wanting.