False Positive for Opiates????
    hamburgapples is offline New Member

Exclamation False Positive for Opiates????

I am currently in an IOP for benzo addiction. I have been completely clean for approx. 7 weeks now. I take weekly Urine Analysis tests for Benzos, Cocaine, Opiates, Oxycodone/Oxymorphone, Ethylglucuronide?, and THC all by EIA (Enzyme Immunoassay) type test.
    Yesterday I took a test and today I got the results and it showed a positive for Opiates. I have taken absolutely nothing in the past 6 weeks. I ate a lemon poppy seed muffin about a week ago but as far as I know there should be no way that would have caused a false positive yesterday.
    I feel like I've been punched in the gut as even I wouldn't trust the word of an addict over a drug test... and yet here I am. I have no reason to post some kind of lie here. It seems to me that the only plausible answer for this false positive was a mistake in the lab either causing contamination or straight up mixing samples and peoples names up. This all sounds so ridiculous but what else could it have been?
    I take 200mg Wellbutrin SR, 75mg Zoloft, and 40mg Protonix daily. I take Ibuprofen for headaches as well, 400mgs per dose maybe 3 times a week max.
    My sleeping schedule is off as I have been picking up overnight shifts at work to earn extra money. I have had nothing strange to eat the last few days.

Please, Please, Please give me some advise here!!!!

Oh and I did ask for and took another test today. My Creatinine levels have been steady (190 a week ago, 202 yesterday), but I don't understand the "Creatinine Adjusted Value"... that reads 90 next to the positive result for Opiates reading of 200 ng/mL.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

i WAS IN IOP and was told eating a poppy seed muffin can cause a false positive drug test. I dont know if thart is true, but that is what i was told

Cool

[Hi there!
    I am an addict in recovery, and even after 10+ years of clean time, though I am on Methadone Maintenance (draw any conclusions that you must, my life has progressed to levels I never knew were possible, I've worked very hard to get to that point!)
    Anyways, I totally identified with your feelings, thanks for sharing them. Even IF a false positive means nothing in the way of discipline or sanctions against me, I FLIP out when I am innocent, b/c I have been guilty so many times, and have worked so hard! But, we must remember we ARE in recovery, we ARE innocent, and start thinking rationally , as you have done, on how to clear our name.
    The Creatinine Adjusted Value, as far as I understand, is , the way the lab can tell if a specimen has been "diluted", usually with water.
    Though I am not sure what they meant in your specific test, and if I were you, I would call the lab, as YOU ARE the consumer, and ask them!!! You can look all over the net, but you will never know what it means specifically in your case unless you go directly to the horse's mouth, so to speak.
    I CAN tell you that labs screw up things ALL THE TIME. The PEOPLE they have working in some of these places abandon all protocol at times, (NOT ALL OF THEM), and they do not think of us as "humans", but rather "numbers".
    So, unlike, say, a hospital lab, these "drive thru labs" often are all about the quick buck, and less about quality.
    Unfortunately for you, there is no way you can PROVE the lab messed up.
    You CAN, however, lodge a complaint against the lab, and you never know, there may be SEVERAL complaints already lodged against this particular lab tech, ..
    You also, hopefully, have gotten a "hair strand " test, or a blood test, which will vindicate you, even now, as hair strand tests can detect drugs for 90 days (and longer) after the day the "drug" was allegedly ingested.
    They are more specific in nature, and things like poppyseeds and other "distractions" will not usually come up.
    When talking to the people that you give samples to, I would say that you want to KNOW what happened so you don't do it again!!
    I had a positive for PCP about a year ago, and everyone in the clinic, (staff ) was saying "don't worry, we know you did not use"..but refused to take it off my RECORD.
    That record is important to me! (And I am sure, to you also!)
    I complained to my clinic about the entire lab process. starting with the minute you give the sample, and the nurse just walks out of the bathroom with it, and thus, the "chain of custody " is broken. That is a POLICY under federal regulations, that you MUST remain with the sample at all times. (when you give it, when they test it, and if they are sending it out to the lab for a more intensive test, when they seal it with your name on it, and send it out)
    The clinic actually shut down all of it;s labs for a week while they reviewed this!
    So you see, the "little" people like us CAN make a difference!
    PLEASE stop thinking of yourself as an "addict" but rather an "addict in recovery". or even better, " as sick person who is getting better every day!"
    and you know something? You never know..you just MIGHT trust the word of "an addict" over that of a lab test, as I used to be a nurse, (long story) and I worked at a detox, if u can believe it, and I DID, several times, take the word of an "addict" and chucked the test in the trash, thus allowing them to stay and not get kicked out, and sometimes, when a little bit of trust is given, a person will really bloom!
    This was before I even knew I was an addict! (clearly I identified though!)
    Sorry for rambling, I just really identified with your feelings, and your post.
    Hope to hear how things are going now! Happy New Year, time to start over, think of yourself differently, and I will do the same, ok?
    Ashley T, Boston, MA

"I feel like I've been punched in the gut as even I wouldn't trust the word of an addict over a drug test... and yet here I am. I have no reason to post some kind of lie here. It seems to me that the only plausible answer for this false positive was a mistake in the lab either causing contamination or straight up mixing samples and peoples names up. ."

Please, Please, Please give me some advise here!!!!

Oh and I did ask for and took another test today. My Creatinine levels have been steady (190 a week ago, 202 yesterday), but I don't understand the "Creatinine Adjusted Value"... that reads 90 next to the positive result for Opiates reading of 200 ng/mL.