do N.J. Pharmacies Share patient Info
    javalone is offline New Member

Default do N.J. Pharmacies Share patient Info

more and more I am hearing of people going into an independent pharmacy in NJ, and being told that they couldn't fill their precription, because they were at another pharmacy two weeks earlier. THIS IS WITH CASH PAYING PATIENTS.

DO PHARMACIES IN NEW JERSEY have a common patient database? If so do some pharmacies choose not to participate.

I prefer an answer from someone who knows what they are talking about. Not a i heard it from a friend of a friend asnwer

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

All I can say to that is: pharmacies are rapidly becoming interconnected. I live in Louisiana and know that there is a state database to where all pharmacies send all controlled substance Rx's.

Long story short, if you doctor-shop, you will get caught.

I work at a national chain pharmacy and ALL pharmacies within that specific chain are nationally connected. If you fill some oxycodone in CA, we will know within a few tenths of a second at ALL of our locations, nationwide! I will withhold the specifics but I also know of several mergers of databases between different chains. We are REALLY trying to stop doctor-shopping.

We and the DEA are hell-bent on it. So are most doctors.
    Peter

Default who is We

I am not doctor shopping, and dont like you insinuating that I amI had a simple question You must take urself very seriously by lumping yourself in with the DEA ,saying We and the DEA are hellbent on stoping it.

Maybe you are hellbent , but i think the DEA stops what they want to stop and vica versa.

Believe me if the DEA was hellbent on stopping it, it would have been stopped a long time ago

I had a simple question

Quote Originally Posted by javalone View Post
    I am not doctor shopping, and dont like you insinuating that I amI had a simple question You must take urself very seriously by lumping yourself in with the DEA ,saying We and the DEA are hellbent on stoping it.

Maybe you are hellbent , but i think the DEA stops what they want to stop and vica versa.

Believe me if the DEA was hellbent on stopping it, it would have been stopped a long time ago

I had a simple question
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say you were a Dr. shopper!

The process of interconnecting all the pharmacies in the nation is maddeningly slow.
    Peter

Default Database

Thanks,

The wierd thing is that NJ does not have that database in effect yet. And I just thought it was starnge that my friend went to refil her prescription a little early , and a small independant pharmacy told her she couldn't fill it, because she had one filled at a wallgreens 3 weeks prior. And this is with a cash payment not insurance, the wallgreens was cash as well.

A Similar thing happened to my boss when getting his prescription filled early before going on vacation

If NJ doesn't have that databse operational yet, what would be a plausable explanation for this.

Thanks,

The wierd thing is that NJ does not have that database in effect yet. And I just thought it was starnge that my friend went to refil her prescription a little early , and a small independant pharmacy told her she couldn't fill it, because she had one filled at a wallgreens 3 weeks prior. And this is with a cash payment not insurance, the wallgreens was cash as well.

A Similar thing happened to my boss when getting his prescription filled early before going on vacation

If NJ doesn't have that databse operational yet, what would be a plausable explanation for this.
    The logical explanation is that the 2 pharmacies share patient profiles. Some chain pharmacies are merging their patient profiles with independent ones.

Again, for the Dr.shoppers out there, this is a step in the right direction. Controlled substances are getting more and more strictly controlled.

The pharmacy I work at, (at the corporate level) is actively contacting independent pharmacies to share info. Connexus (the software we use to track patient profiles) gives us access to many thousands of pharmacies across the country. If the pharmacist wanted to look up any patient's profile from a different chain or even an independent pharmacy, it would take just about one minute.

I'd venture a guess and say about 80% of ALL pharmacies in the US can access each others' info. In 10 years it's projected to be >99%.
    Peter

Default connexus

so its a matter of the people on duty and individual pharmacy's operating policy as to wether they check a patients profile. If they have access to the software.

so its a matter of the people on duty and individual pharmacy's operating policy as to wether they check a patients profile. If they have access to the software.
    That is correct.
    Peter