any difference between oxycontin & dilaudid
    perry is offline New Member

Default any difference between oxycontin & dilaudid

my spin doctor has me on oxycontin's twice aday, but had mentioned a drug called dilaudid, i hadnt heard of it, and sence the oxycontin had worked well for my pain, he just left me on that, but it isint helping anylonger and i've had horrible side affect's from other pain med's> methadone, screwed my head up, i couldnt walk and i still hurt, i had taken only half a pill of the lowest dose. the avinza had caused upper respertory problem's, dr though i had invasema, but chest exray was clear so he said it was a reaction from the avinza, that i'm alergic, no morphine, thats what it was, the duragesic patch worked untill i needed the higher dosage and then broke out with spots and sores, he took me off of that and the sores and all healed up, i dont know what is left for me to try, i have spinal stenosis, a tear in the annulus at L5, a genetic thing with abnormalities in the spin, i have so much pain i honestly dont know where or who to turn to for help, now i have an ovarian cyst that was found because i couldnt do my physical therpy anylonger and had to have that checked on, it's 1 p 9 c in size, having a nother visit tomorrow to see if it's bad or what, all i know is that having two intestinal hemeroids a ovarian cyst and horrible pain in lower back that constanly causes spasms in my back, i honestly need to have a medication that work's better and not have to suffer so much, i would appreciate any info on the medication i ask about , and thank's for reading my post. please excuse my spelling,

kyhomegirl is offline Member

Wow dilaudid is a lot weaker than oxys. Its hydromorphone, and although I never took it for pain, I didnt feel anything from it. It made me tired, and that was about it.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Oxycontin is also a 12 hour controlled release pain medication and the Dilaudid is not, it is an instant release that usually only lasts 4 to 6 hours.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

bic254368 is offline New Member

You may see if he can up your milligrams of oxycontin. If a extended release drug isnt working for you any longer you may have to switch to a immediate release drug, this is rare as er drugs are for chronic pain and ir is for acute pain but it does happen in some people. Dilaudid is a very powerful drug. Dilaudid is actually hydromorphone and oxycontin is just oxycodone in a extended release. If you compared hydromorphone and oxycodone you would find that for every 1 mg of hydromorphone it would take almost 3 mg of oxycodone to get the same effects. When you see a 40 mg pill of oxycontin that 40 mg is released in 8-12 hours so you are not actually aborbing 40 mg all at once. With the dilaudid it is released in a quick amount of time so you get relief much quicker. Although you will probably require them again in 4 hours but it will be immediatly released when you take it again. I hope this helps. I will also tell you this people talk up oxycontins being so strong because they see all the talk about them. They are very strong and work great for pain but there is things stronger the reason the drugs recieve so much media is because people like to chew them or snort them which release all the drug all at once, this is very dangerous and can lead to death. Taken correctly though you get the same amount of oxycodone you would from an ir pill like roxicodone but released over a period of 8 to 12 hours. I hope this clears up a lot of your questions. If oxycontin has failed for you and you want to stick with a extended release drug you might try ms contin.

This is just my opinion i hope it helps.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

ER is for Extended Release drugs such as Oxycontin or MS Contin and their generic forms, and IR is for Instant Release drugs, such a OxyIR, Roxicodone or Roxifast.

Either may be used as necessary for acute or chronic pain according to what will control it best for the suffering individual. It is common to use the longer acting for chronic pain suffers to give them long term relief, but not an absolute necessity to do so.

Since you are having so many problems with the various drugs, you might want to talk to your doctor about alternative methods of pain control such as an Electronic TENS unit, which uses electrical stimuli on the nerves to control pain, or a pain pump.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

lydiap009 is offline Member

Question oxycontin help verify please

im kinda new to this drug. ive taken oxycodone for 5 years now. 10 mills. every 4 hours. now another doctor was giving me oxycontin 10 mills twice a day . Didnt quite help. Would 40 mills of oxycontin be too much? I have taken percocets now for a long time up to 7 a day. 10 mills. So what should I think about asking the doctor? Thanx

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Here's the best way I can describe it. Dilaudid is 5 times stronger than morphine and Oxycodone is 1.5-2 times stronger than morphine.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-06-2008 at 10:32 PM.