Analgesic drug elimination
    FUJELLO is offline New Member

Default Analgesic drug elimination

Are the following meds eliminated through the kidneys or liver?

Ibuprophen
    Lodine
    Hydrocodone
    Oxycodone

Thanks,

Fujello

pharmd06 is offline Member

all via the liver as primary metabolism. (some metabolites may be passed via urine)

Rawoody is offline Platinum Member

I thought ALL meds were metabolized through the liver and most eliminated through the kidneys. I'm curious to know how meds are eliminated through the liver as my understanding of high school biology was that all the major elimination points was either through respiration, urination,defacation, or through perspiration, with urination being the primary exit point for medications (the reason for urine to test for drugs).

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

They are metabilized in the liver with the metabiltyes being sent to the kidneys for urnination also some gets to the bowels ect.....Dave

Rawoody is offline Platinum Member

MPVT,

That's what I thought I said. Read Fujello's question and Pharmd's answer.

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

There are some, though very few, that are not processed, for the most part, through the liver. My husband sometimes has elevated liver enzymes, due to an inherited disease, and whenever they put him on long term meds, they always hunt and hunt, until they can find one that is liver processed the least.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

pharmd06 is offline Member

rawoody,
    not ALL meds are metabolized in the liver. many are already hydrophilic enough to be passed in the urine without metabolism. i ment that all the medications in the question are oxidized in the liver, then those metabolites are excreted in the urine or in the bowel like mpvt said, that is understood. when someone asks an elimination question in the world of medicine they want to know if it is renally or hepatically cleared from your system. that is the way you check drug interactions and that is not taught in high school

m