s/d perscription diet for dog
    joej is offline New Member

Default s/d perscription diet for dog

Hi everyone,

My dog has bladder stones, per the ultra sound. She is a 14 year old shephard /rottweiler mix. I elected not to do the surgery to remove them. We do not know for sure what type of stones they are. We just started the S/D diet. The vet wants to see her again in 2 weeks, to see if it is working. Is this enough time to gage wether or not the stones are disolving? I kind of don't trust my vet, as he had originally told me surgery was the only option.

Any info is helpfull.

Thanks

Jodi

Kslenk is offline New Member

Default S/D prescription diet for dogs

My min schnauzer has been on SD for 3 -4 years now. I think dogs are only supposed to be on this for a month or two, but I have discussed with my bet. Regardless, she continues to develop stones while taking the SD. We have changed diet, water, everything we can think of. Currently she has 10 quarter size stones. At 12 years and three surgeries to remove them, I have gone holistic and have been treating her stones with herbs. It took six months but 10 stones have been reduced to 4. I am lucky to have a female. Male dogs don't have the luxury of time. Surgery is not the only option, but it is one I have chosen three times already. The herbs do take time, but depending on the size of the stone, maybe not as long as it took for ours to dissolve. Good luck and please feel free to contact me if you have questions. I have no medical training, I just love my dog, don't want her to suffer and have spent a lot of $ and time learning all I can.

PerkyOnPercs is offline New Member

Kslenk,
    I can completely understand why you wouldn't want the surgey...I have worked in a vet clinic, and a humane society, and I am pretty sure 2 wks is enough time.....but be weary if your vet says that they are not dissolving and pressures you to do the surgery anyway. At that point, get a second opinion.....
    Best of Luck