Mixed Breed w/mutiply Skin Problems
    TBUG53 is offline New Member

Exclamation Mixed Breed w/mutiply Skin Problems

We rescued a mix breed dog from a very abusive situation and had plan to find him a home. But he has had 1 problem after another. It took almost 2 yrs to clear up a radical case of mange. He was looking so good a beautiful full shiny coat but now he has lost all the hair on his feet/legs/head/ears and tail. Also his skin is rapidly turning black and very rough with several raised open bleeding sores that have an awful smell. His legs at the joints are swelling and splitting open and stay bloody. Poor thing it really looks like he is in terrible pain but the thing is he appears happy eats good, runs and plays w/grandchildren, just has the best attitude. At this time going to a Vet is not an option as we do not have 1 locally that we trust and we really cannot afford it. As cruel as it sounds "puppy" comes last on the list of priorities. My husband and I both are trying to schedule several major surgeries(knee replacement and back surgery for both of us) along with raising our 2 grandchildren(ages 8 and 5 yrs old). So you can see we are stretched pretty thin but what I need is there anything we can do to help Puppy get better or and I dread even saying this but we may have no other option but to put Puppy down.
    So if anyone knows or can suggest a solution to our poor puppy's skin problem please write.

Faded time is offline Member

Your dog sounds like he is in trouble. There are a number of skin conditions that can cause trouble, but demodectic mange comes to mind. The mites burrow deep into the skin and usually cannot be found on routine skin scrapings. He really needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian. I understand that finances can be a problem, but at least have him looked at by a veterinarian who can give you an idea of whether or not your dog's condition can be easily taken care of or is serious. Tell the veterinarian up front that all you can afford is an evaluation and ask that nothing be done without asking first. You would have to take your pup to a veterinarian to be euthanized if that were your decision anyway, so you may as well get an evaluation. Leaving your pup in that condition isn't fair to him.
    Faded time