LOVE BIRD BREEDING QUESTIONS - Plz help!
    symondneil is offline New Member

Question LOVE BIRD BREEDING QUESTIONS - Plz help!

Hi there!
    I recently bought a proven breeder pair of lovebirds. As soon as I got home, I prompty set up their cage. I put the cage in its location, added fresh seeds and water in the pots and gently released the birds into their new home.

Now, I was watching the birds who were sitting on top of the nest box. Suddenly, the female laid an egg which slowly dried. This was shocking as I had only had them for two hours.

The egg has rolled onto the far side of the nest box and the female cannot sit on it. Should I pick it up and pop it into the nest box? (They have not yet been in the nest box). They have also been mating. Will they lay the next eggs in a nest box? How long will it take for the eggs to be laid?

Thanks for all the help - it is much appreciated

lilbay is offline New Member

Actually anytime you get a new pair you should first remove the box and kjep it off. You should give them time to deal with the stress of the move and getting used to a new home. Also moving is the time when they stress and can show any illness so at least 30 days in a place where no other birds in the home are located iss important

Have you bred before??
    I am getting the feeling this is your first time??
    If so then you have some reading to do if you do not do this right the hen can die and so can any chilcks that may be laid and hatched

Lovebirds are funny sorts so it is important to feed properly have proper humidity etc or you basically have wasted your money

You say they are proven did she say how old the pair is?
    You should also know how many clutches they have produced? When the last clutch was?

They should breed MAX 3 times a year Honestly i would not go over that either

I would take the box out clean it well and air it out (cleaning with a mix of a gallon of HOT water with a tablespoon of plain househould bleach in it)
    Than let them get comfortable and used to thewir new home and you
    Get them eating a really good diet so they can be Primed (which is what you call feeding up a pair to breed)

Did she give you some food or at least tell you what all she feeds?

They should have a dry egg food available all the time in a dish
    They should get some fresh egg food (made of hard bpoiled eggs some sccraped cuttle bone, broccoli, carrot all in a food p[riocessor and ground fine)
    Place a tablespoon in the bowl in the morning remove it after 3 hours, than in the evening give another tablespoon and again in 3 hours toss in garbage
    Also a good seed and a good pellet should be in cage all the time Also cuttle bone and a mineral black offered all the time

After 3 moinths hang the box back up hang it so that you have the box on th3 outside of the cage so you can list and peak in.
    Sover the bottom of the cage with a inch of shredded paper towel with no scent or anything shredded in the box They MUST have something in there or babies if they hatch may end up with a bad case os Play lag end that is bad for the lil ones to get around.

Oh and are you CERTAIN you can truist the seller? i am just saying you need to trust and know the seller because they may sell you two females or older birds or birds who are pluckers and should never be bred or siblings which also should never be bred e6

hope this is helpful
    Good Luck
    Also find a vet or breeder locally to mentor you and show you habve to handfeed
    Oh and there is a Wonderful Yahoo group called LB lovebird list check it out on Yahoo groups they are another group of great support
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-10-2010 at 04:58 AM.

Katherine123 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Patience is the key

I have been breeding lovebirds for 27 years with lots of luck. Patience is the key! You had them only a couple of hours and obviously the female was ready to lay when you got them. Give them a couple of months or more. Sometimes it just takes the right time of year, a new rainfall maybe to get them in the mood. They must become accustomed to their surroundings. Give them several inches of pine shavings in a deep box and lots of quiet. Feed them their basic seed plus a lot of fresh cut up fruits and vegetables. Give a good vitamin supplement with calcium. Mother nature and time will surprise you! I have four baby Dutch Blues right now! Disturb them as little as possible. If you can, give them fresh palm leaves. They love to shred them (their natural nesting material) and weave them into a tunnel effect inside of the box.