Long-Acting Injectible Antibiotic for Cats?
    FeMican is offline New Member

Default Long-Acting Injectible Antibiotic for Cats?

My sweet kitty, Punkin, is in desperate need of having his infected teeth pulled but before we can do that, I have to be able to get antibiotics into him.

I've owned a number of kitties over the years and have developed quite a few tricks for getting their meds into them, but nothing works on Punkin except taking him to the vet for injections, and those only last for a day or two at most.

My vet says there are no extended-release injectible antibiotics for cats, but I've googled the subject to death and have found a number of references to long-acting injectible antibiotics for kitties-- they're just never identified by name.

Can anybody help me on this? Punkin and I would be SO grateful!

fairygodmother is offline New Member

I suppose it's unlikely that you will be checking this forum after so long but there is a drug available.
    Convenia is a long acting antibiotic injection that lasts approx. 14 days.

Hope this helps, as with all vet medicines it can be quite expensive but if it saves stress and scratches, it may be worth it!

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I know it is hard to give a kitten meds. Is the medicine you have liquid? if it is, it is best to use a syringe (without the needle of course) versus a squeeze dropper. fill the syringe with the meds, have someone else hold Punkin like a baby and open her mouth and shoot the meds in the back of her throat. It is quick and simple and doesn't hurt the kitten. I am a cat person, let me know how it goes.

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairygodmother View Post
    I suppose it's unlikely that you will be checking this forum after so long but there is a drug available.
    Convenia is a long acting antibiotic injection that lasts approx. 14 days.

Hope this helps, as with all vet medicines it can be quite expensive but if it saves stress and scratches, it may be worth it!
    Thanks for posting that fairygodmother. I knew that there was one, but couldn't remember the name and you nailed it. My cat had a huge abcess under her jaw. It was scary it was so big. The vet did a culture then prescribed the Convenia and it helped almost immediately. the one thing that he did tell me though, was if it doesn't work in one dose, you can't repeat the injection for some reason. If it doesn't help, then they would have to give either liquid or pill antibiotics.