How much should I feed my cat?
    xumeng12 is offline Junior Member

Default How much should I feed my cat?

Hi there,

My aunt is new to cat ownership and would like some advice please.
    She have a 2 year old male neutered cat who has been weighed at 5Kg.
    she is feeding him 2 Iams pouches per day and about 40 grams of Iams dry food per day. He eats very well and often eats everything in the bowl. Is this the right amount she should be giving him? He doesn´t seem to be putting on weight and is very active and gets lots of exercise - as he goes out during the day.
    My aunt recently took him to a veterinary nurse who commented he should not put on any more weight and my aunt should be cutting down the amount of food we give.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Aaliah thomas is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by xumeng12 View Post
    Hi there,

My aunt is new to cat ownership and would like some advice please.
    She have a 2 year old male neutered cat who has been weighed at 5Kg.
    she is feeding him 2 Iams pouches per day and about 40 grams of Iams dry food per day. He eats very well and often eats everything in the bowl. Is this the right amount she should be giving him? He doesn´t seem to be putting on weight and is very active and gets lots of exercise - as he goes out during the day.
    My aunt recently took him to a veterinary nurse who commented he should not put on any more weight and my aunt should be cutting down the amount of food we give.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Hey!

Your cat seems to be of sound health .

See the average healthy cat should consume 240 kilo calories per day. So you can give routine food which includes like, 2-4 oz ounces of dry food and 5.7-11.8 oz ounces of canned food daily. Since your cat is very active, so it's necessary to feed him on time with accurate nutrition.

SteffJames is offline New Member

I do not know that which breed you adopt but i have a recipe for you friend :
    * 7 oz mashed sardines
    * 1/4 cup dry non-fat milk
    * 1/2 cup wheat germ

Cat Food Recipe Directions:
    Mix ingredients. Roll into 24 small balls. Placed on greased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees until brown.
    We hope your cats enjoy this yummy cat food recipe!

manwhosoldtheworld is offline Junior Member

yeah thats true what the nurse advised you because my dog also had this problem 3 years back vet said that let him eat how much he wants then then throw or reserve the food and give your pal 2 times a day only its appetite wont get disturbed

Novox12 is offline New Member

Default Please read

Average cat this or that.. No, there is no set average cat should weigh this nor eat this much.
    1.) When talking about a specific manufacturers food, go to their site and look what they have to say first. Iams happens to have a great site for feline obesity and a good body condition chart.
    http://www.iams.com/pet-health/cat-a...feline-obesity

2.) Then look at the product for feed recommendations, feed for the weight you would like the cat to be. Do not allow the cat to free feed, instead put the bowl down, the cat eats what it will and then pick it up. Feed at least 2 times daily. The cat should maintain a small level of hunger, not be starving nor completely satiated.

3.) you went to a veterinarian, listen to them, not a forum of people that may or may not know what they are talking about.

Hope this helped some.