Help! Please! Very OLD cat poops hard rocks.
    moonglie is offline New Member

Exclamation Help! Please! Very OLD cat poops hard rocks.

I adopted my neighbor's old cat when they put her out in favor of two new "house dogs". She's very old & dying of kidney & liver failure. I'm just trying to make her comfortable in her last days or weeks. I hold her a lot, even tho' she smells bad. Took her to the vet, and confirmed liver & kidney failure. Vet said give her low-salt soft diet. I give her sterile water subcutaneously, but it doesn't seem to help her poop. Don't want to stress her, but is there any way to soften her poop without big pills or bad tasting liquids? She is tiny, & just skin & bones, partly because she cannot eat if she can't poop it out! when she finally manages to poop a little rock or two, she immediately eats again. I HATE putting her down! She has had SUCH a hard life. Advice, quickly please?

bjoyjoy is offline New Member

Default feed cat who won't go #2, needs pumpkin

Hi, my daughter is a veternarian technician and she said to put a teaspoon of canned pumpkin on her food each time she eats. That should help her bowels. Hope she does well.Let me know. Bjoyjoy

kfig is offline New Member

I've also heard that pumpkin will help. the same stuff we make pies out of. Just buy a can and add a scoop to each meal. Honestly though, have you considered euthanizing her? If she is suffering so badly IMHO that is the most humane thing to do. It is very quick and painless. they just go to sleep. If you just can't bring yourself to do that, (and my Cat is my baby, Im not even sure I could do it). Just TLC until her days are done. xo good luck.

shotthemoon is offline New Member

I have had cats my whole life and have lost a few to kidney failure. I am not a professional but I do know that there is nothing you can do. And the cat is in pain. Soon if not already the cat will not be able to poop or pee or want to eat and it is a sad thing to watch. I know it's not easy, but you can't be selfish. The cat will have no pain and the cat will have peace.
    good luck and good blessings

robtyea is offline New Member

Try adding olive oil to her food, it worked for my cat. As for the liver and kidney failure I would try food grade hydrogen peroxide diluded with distilled water, (don't use the hydrogen peroxide they have in the stores, it is not food grade). I dilude it to 3% and mix it with their food. This works well with all of my cats.

Faded time is offline Member

If you have a pet store near you, go into the cat section and pick up two things. One is hair ball remedy, and the other is linatone. The hairball remover is basically flavored petroleum and meant to help hairballs slide through the GI. In a cat with hard stool, it may make his bowels softer and defecation more comfortable for your cat. The linatone is basically liquid vitamins, but it has a greasy base and may also help loosen stool. Both of those things are usually accepted readily by cats. Pick up a syringe at the pet store and use that to put the medicine in your cat's mouth should he not want it.

What you are probably giving under the skin is either LRS or Normasol. Both have electrolytes in them. Most cats tolerate getting fluids under the skin well. Warm them first. If you have an entire bag of the fluid, fill a mixing bowl up with hot water and set the bag of fluids in it, being careful not to submerge the port where you put your needle in. The fluids should feel slightly warm to the touch. That will avoid the discomfort of cold liquid against subcutaneous tissue.

If your cat is dying, feed him what ever he wants. If he doesn't like the low sodium diets there is no sense in tormenting him. The veterinarian's job is to do every
    thing they can to keep the pet alive and comfortable.
    That being said, there is a difference between prolonging life and prolonging death. I know you want your cat to be as comfortable and happy in what sounds like hospice care. If your cat was expected to live and had a curable problem, then it would be worth it to try and get him to eat the low sodium diet, but if he is dying, there really isn't any point to it. Just love him and keep him as comfortable as possible.
    Faded time

One other thing you could try you will have to ask your veterinarian for. Its a medication called lactulose. Its given to increase appetite and also supports the liver. In a healthy liver, food and some medications are broken down. In liver failure, there can be a build up of amonia which is a bi product of protein. The lactulose is used to bind to the amonia and allow the cat to excrete it in his feces as opposed to letting it build up in his body where it is making him feel sicker.