guinea pig put down

Default guinea pig put down

Hello. I am new here and and searching for someone to talk to about my guinea pig, Sallie, I just had put to sleep. I guess I'm just so sad I don't know what else to do. See, she wasn't that sick. She had bubblefoot really bad a few months ago, but it got much better, and a small flare up started recently. She also had an odd color to her urine, rather dark yellow or orange instead of the normal off white I was told it should be.

Anyway, her care takes a lot of my time, energy, and money, and she's not even mine. She was abandoned by my sister with two cats as well. I"ve been supporting them for 6 years and it's just gotten to be too much. So before her feet got worse again, and the vet bills started piling up again, and because she's already over 6 years old, I decided it was time to let her go.

The vet didn't think it was a good idea, but I just couldn't take the chance that someone would get her and not take care of her and love her. Since piggies only live to be 5-7 years old at most, her time was limited as it was. I thought it was best to let her go while she still knew love and affection.

Now, of course, my heart is breaking in two and I can't stand the quiet in the room without her.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with a piggie or any animal. Thanks for listening.

Ragamuffin

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    Hello. I am new here and and searching for someone to talk to about my guinea pig, Sallie, I just had put to sleep. I guess I'm just so sad I don't know what else to do. See, she wasn't that sick. She had bubblefoot really bad a few months ago, but it got much better, and a small flare up started recently. She also had an odd color to her urine, rather dark yellow or orange instead of the normal off white I was told it should be.

Anyway, her care takes a lot of my time, energy, and money, and she's not even mine. She was abandoned by my sister with two cats as well. I"ve been supporting them for 6 years and it's just gotten to be too much. So before her feet got worse again, and the vet bills started piling up again, and because she's already over 6 years old, I decided it was time to let her go.

The vet didn't think it was a good idea, but I just couldn't take the chance that someone would get her and not take care of her and love her. Since piggies only live to be 5-7 years old at most, her time was limited as it was. I thought it was best to let her go while she still knew love and affection.

Now, of course, my heart is breaking in two and I can't stand the quiet in the room without her.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with a piggie or any animal. Thanks for listening.

Ragamuffin
    Hi Ragamuffin
    I'm so sorry for your loss..My 19 year old son had a rat...and he loved that rat..he cried like a baby when it died...It was a horrible death for the rat his Boston terrier chewed it up...he was so mad at his dog...Im a cat person...but oh man have I had heart break over some of them...
    It sounds like you gave your little piggy a very good life.try to think about that...
    My heart goes out to you...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Default guinea piggie

Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry for your son's loss. My sis had rats as pets too and they are very loveable, sweet animals. I woke up this morning just so sad and I can't seem to make peace with having her put down. But in the end, the reality is that I am overwhelmed with animals that aren't mine, two cats and the guinea pig are my sisters and she abandoned them here and I have a cat of my own. I just couldn't handle the work load anymore of caring for four animals and working full time, driving 50 miles a day. I felt in my heart that it was best to put her down rather than give her to someone who wouldn't take as good a care of her as I did. I also left my sister a letter to let her know that her cats were now her job and not mine, that I couldn't afford their up-keep and responsibility any longer. Of course, she never comes home even to see her own son, so she'll never see it and I'll continue to absorb the cost and care of these beautiful animals. She also left her Pug dog here as well and my mom has been caring for her. Now I feel like Sallie the guinea pig got the short end of the stick. I just feel so overwhelmed.

And I believe that animals never forget you and always miss you. I know it sounds like excuses. But I did not know what else to do. Her feet were getting bad again. And her age was heading into the problem age for guinea pigs, and I knew what that meant. The vet did not agree and was sort of disgusted with my decision.

I'm so sorry for that poor rat. But that is the circle of animal life, isn't it? One will eat another just from instinct. But what a horrible lesson for a child to learn. May god bless his little rat and I hope he found peace with his passing too. Thanks again for writing to me.

Ragamuffin

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Rats are sweet, I love them, but I get so attached and they don't live long, so it's not worth the heartache. I spent $100 in Vet bills on a rat once that cost me $2, I didn't care, she deserved it and depended on me. Letting go is so hard, even when it's the right thing to do, it's especially tough when you really have no choice, and all the guilt involved, sometimes it's throwing good money at a hope. I wouldn't say the moral choice you made was wrong, it's much better then what you're sister does, that's really irresponsible. You obviously love animals, but it's not fair that you have to take care of her abandoned critters, somehow that needs to be impressed on her.
    "Time heals the wounds that no one can see".

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Hi ragamuffin,

I completely know what you are going through. I have had 6 guinea pigs and 7 cats growing up. I remember everytime we had to take them to the vet to have them put down, it hurt like hell. I had a cat named smokey, he was my buddy. He slept next to my head every night and went everywhere I did in the house. I remember when he died of liver failure, I bawled like a baby.

It's a ********py decision to make but when your pet is suffering, you have to put yourself in the pets shoes. I had a guinea pig named sallie as well. Just remember the good times you had with her and keep her close to your heart and she will always be there.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn