Foods not good for dogs
    LucyGoose is offline Member

Default Foods not good for dogs

Hello I have a 3 1/2 yr old bloodhound. He is always full of energy .I know him inside and out - if that makes sense.
    SOMETHING IS WRONG !! He is so listless, refrains from moving, or wanting to go outside . his nose is dry. now lying on sofa, tried to get up and just sat up and then lay back down. so not like him at all. When he walked I see a very slight hesitation using his front right leg. His whole manner is so off.
    He is fed only Beneful dog kibble. with occasional scraps.
    I remember just reading, but can't remember where about certain common people food that were definitely toxic to dogs, and yes I had in the past given him 'that' whatever.
    Today I made homemade soup, beef soup bone,hamburger Broccoli, cauliflower,carrots,tomatoes, barley,chickpeas,onions,garlic,
    Were any of these things harmful ?
    I am so worried. if not better I will take him to vet in am.
    Do dogs get the flu. I have been sick for a week.

Mizshutterbug is offline New Member

Hello LucyGoose - Strange. The exact same thing is happening to my dog Maggie right now, but she is 14 years old. She won't eat, very listless and her front leg seems to be giving out. It is a great effort for her to even go outside and for 15 hours straight she WOULDN'T go out. She does get people food once in awhile but I don't know which ones are not good for her. She doesn't get any candy but has things like baked potatoes with skins, etc.

I did have an extensive blood panel done yesterday and found out tonight all her vital organs are good except she has extremely low thyroid (needs to be back on her meds which doc had us quit in September) and her white blood cell count is up so there is an infection somewhere. Vet is starting her on an intense antibiotic program tomorrow as well as giving her some more thyroid medication which she shouldn't have ever stopped. The reading was so low it didn't even register on the thyroid.

I suggest that you have some blood work done, if you haven't, especially the thyroid. When I read your post you could be describing the symptoms of my dog. And yes, like yourself, I kept asking the doctor if she might have the flu. Hope everything turned out okay as I see your post was about 10 days ago. I know how much our pets mean to us. Let us know.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

My cat was sick last week with similar symptoms. We took him to the vet and he had an infection. His white blood count was 21,000 and it should only be about 3,000. He is much better. The vet gave him fluids and antibiotics and within 24 hrs was back to his bad old self!! I would not wait much longer to take him to the vet. Just take him when you can.

fairygodmother is offline New Member

onions are toxic for dogs to eat and so is garlic as it comes from the onion "family". Other food stuffs that are toxic for dogs include chocolate (think most people know that) plus grapes and the dried version of grapes (raisins, sultanas etc). This is not an exhaustive list, many human foods can prove toxic towards animals. I admit that toxic is a strong word and that animals eating these foods may not be in danger but may show gastro intestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhoea, but the long term effect on vital organs could prove fatal in some cases.

Thyroid problems in dogs on the other hand usually come with a few other symptoms besides lethargy. Increased bodyweight (which is unsuccessfully shifted with obesity diet foods!!), poor coat/skin condition and increased urination, usually resulting in "accidents" around the home!!!
    A hypothyroid dog may not show ALL of these signs and may show a few others but the blood test for hypothyroidism is quick, easy and relatively cheap to run.

LucyGoose is offline Member

tks FairyGodMother. I have since done some reading up too. I was surprised about grapes..Guilty on a few occaisons, but no more. Decided that the only treats they get are made for them. It is ironic that u mention the Thyroid. I just took my 10 yr old Husky Sheppard in for symptoms that u mentioned, 2 simple blood tests showed he had problems and now3wks later is on 2 caplets daily and has already stopped the constant urinating and has so much more loving energy.
    thanks again and take care

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fairygodmother View Post
    onions are toxic for dogs to eat and so is garlic as it comes from the onion "family". Other food stuffs that are toxic for dogs include chocolate (think most people know that) plus grapes and the dried version of grapes (raisins, sultanas etc). This is not an exhaustive list, many human foods can prove toxic towards animals. I admit that toxic is a strong word and that animals eating these foods may not be in danger but may show gastro intestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhoea, but the long term effect on vital organs could prove fatal in some cases.

Thyroid problems in dogs on the other hand usually come with a few other symptoms besides lethargy. Increased bodyweight (which is unsuccessfully shifted with obesity diet foods!!), poor coat/skin condition and increased urination, usually resulting in "accidents" around the home!!!
    A hypothyroid dog may not show ALL of these signs and may show a few others but the blood test for hypothyroidism is quick, easy and relatively cheap to run.
    far frikkin out ive never looked here. i got a 12 year old blue heeler. goin blind. i always thought that garlic was good to keep the fleas off em.
    shes had a vet tell me she goin blind, but its blaringly obvious to me and all my mates. shes trippin over stuff in front of her. stink.
    i will see her right, but its pretty gutting to see her losing her confidence. i knew chocolate but not the garlic. you sure bout that.

dog people the world over unite. paw justice.