Diarrhea in Elderly Cat
    lovecats is offline New Member

Unhappy Diarrhea in Elderly Cat

I just sent for Runipoo diarrhea medication advertised on the Internet which is a natural cure for the problem.

We have spent over $1,000 trying to find the cause and cure for constant diarrhea in our female cat, Journey. She is 18 and still alert and mobile.

She was always healthy and suddently developed what they have termed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It seems like it is labeled IBS for want of any other valid diagnosis.

We have tried antibiotics, prednisone, Tylan, fiber, many different foods, Kaolin and some things I've probably forgotten. This has been going on for almost five months now. The vet said that her blood tests were fine, so there is not a specific problem to treat. It is very difficult to keep up with the diarrhea and the smell, which is pretty awful. We hydrate her every other day and try to give her the best food we can find. Nothing has seemed to help much.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and have any suggestions as to what we might try next? Thanks in advance.

fairygodmother is offline New Member

Not sure how your elderly cat is doing at the moment or if you'll see this after 4 months or so.

I know you say your vet said the blood tests are all fine but have they done any faecal tests that they have sent to a lab for analysis?
    Or.......

Does your cat show any of the following symptoms too:
    erratic or hyperactive behaviour
    fast heart rate
    occasional vomiting
    reduced coat condition
    ravenous appetite
    weight loss?

any of these symptoms coupled with diarrhoea can be an indication of hyperthyroidism which can be detected by your vet feeling an enlarged thyroid gland on physical examination or a simple blood test to a lab to determine thyroxine levels called a T4 test.
    Very very common in cats particularly over the age of 10 years.

IceyPink1 is offline New Member

Here is something really good for keeping cats hydrated: mix 1 part Honey with 3 or 4 parts Comforts electrolyte rebalancer. My cats all give this four paws up from kittenhood to 16 years old. My old cat will need Honey-Lyte today as he has diarrhea right now.

I have one cat with chronic golden soft and or runny stools and I still don't know what to give him for it. I could also use some advice on this. The lomotil my veterinarian prescribed was barely enough for a tiny 3 month old kitten. What do we do? I even tried Immodium with no results at all.