dander
    bettie1211 is offline New Member

Cool dander

i have three cats when i got the third one i noticed my eyes were getting swollen its the new cat she long hair black cat she the most loving cat i ever had and i been suffering through it . i was wondering if anyone knows of something i can rub on her because i know she wont let me bath her i dont want to get rid of her thank you

menopausehelp is offline New Member

Allerpet is something you might talk to your veterinarian about. It’s a liquid you could apply to your cats’ coat.

Although cat allergy symptoms may never go away completely, they are manageable.

Here are some recommended steps to decrease your cat allergies.

Clean your cat.
    Allerpet, a well-known brand of liquid that reduces cat allergen in the air, can be applied to your cats' coat and is available from your local veterinarian. Alternatively, you can get a micro fiber cloth and just damp rub down the cats' coats to rid it of visible dander. The majority of cats would prefer this to the highly dreaded bath.

Keep your cats from sleeping on the bed.
    If it’s absolutely necessary to sleep with your cats, first try to get your symptoms under control. You need to give yourself a break while you are trying to abate your symptoms.

Keep your cats out of the bedroom altogether.
    Your bedroom should be a sanctuary from allergens. So tempt your cats to sleep elsewhere during the day. You want to keep your cat allergens from the bedroom as much as possible.

Wash your hands immediately after petting your cat and do not rub your eyes.
    Use a strong anti-bacterial soap to avoid this problem. Avoid rubbing your eyes that results in itchy eyes.

Wash all bedding in 140-degree hot water at least twice monthly.
    This eliminates both dust mite and cat allergen.

Use HEPA air filters in rooms where your cats frequent.
    Cat allergen is so difficult to remove. A good HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) air purifier is essential for cleaning the air in your home.

Vacuum up cat allergen with a high grade HEPA vacuum cleaner twice weekly.
    Vacuum walls, carpet, flooring, chairs, and furniture...everywhere.

Use a vapor steam cleaner to clean your home.
    You don’t want to just vacuum, you want to vapor steam clean to help kill off the cat proteins/dander, which are embedded in your carpets and upholstery. Steam cleaners provide a chemical-free way of cleaning and killing dust mites, bacteria, mold spores and cat allergen.

Confine your cats to one area of the house.
    I know this will be difficult for some people but this at least controls the cat allergens to a separate place where you can concentrate your air purifier and cleaning efforts.

You DO NOT have to get rid of your CAT!
    If you do a good job of following the previous steps, your cat allergies should be decrease dramatically. Keeping a cat when you have allergies takes a concerted effort, and is only for those who are nutty enough about their cats (like us), to go to all this trouble.

For more info on treating your cat...
    http://www.bhrt-resource.com/pet-meds.html
    Last edited by menopausehelp; 04-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.